Close

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    I suspect that if all the vendors on this forum that sell their products raised the issue, it would be resolved.

Neil
    Who are all the vendors? Can we bring them into this thread or start a new thread about this?
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I have to concure, this clutch feels and runs great. As far as the guy above me, I am not sure how you set your clutch up, but our shop cars stage 3+ engages in very close to the same position as stock with only a slightly heavier pedal feel, the position feels very natural to me and I have driven a lot of race cars with a lot of $#@!ed up clutch engagements.
    I had the first unit, and others got the same batch. These units had only one height. During beta I was assured the high pedal was fine. I will be setting mine low now that I have the option.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Damn, thanks bro. idk I got confused as hell on the spec site LOL. Thanks man, so after reading all your post. Steel or aluminum still LOL
    For me, aluminum without a doubt. Its really about how you use the car. If you run AC and dont hold in the clutching at stops, then steel. If you hold the clutch in or don't run AC then aluminum has better response. I'd trade my FW for aluminum, but I would be in the minority for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just pulled my spec stg2+ w/ steel SMFW (non-SAC) today... Now for sale. Only about 6,000mi. I'll have an ad soon with pics alone with some other stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I suspect that if all the vendors on this forum that sell their products raised the issue, it would be resolved.

Neil
    What is the issue exactly?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    What is the issue exactly?
    The point of engagement is at the top of the pedal's travel.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The point of engagement is at the top of the pedal's travel.

Neil
    I don't think that is an issue necessarily. The higher engagement is preferable so long as it doesn't lead to premature clutch failure. Until I get this clutch out I can't comment on why it failed. It could be a ton of things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Disk came out with 0.030" of wear on it. For comparison there is 0.160" of clearly usable material - has 80% more life on it after doing 15,000 miles but was slipping. New kit drives completely differently than the old one did. The old one would grab and release like crazy for the first 1000 miles or so and then eased up but would stutter on first gear hill starts. This one is like absolute butter. Clutch engagement down low but you can still shift with very little clutch depression. Happy the car is back and this clutch feels right, but not stoked about having to replace an 80% life clutch after 9 months. That being said, I got the first kit and know the risks with being an early adopter. I have all the critical measurements of both kits and will follow up with SPEC.

Also out of curiosity how do you guys feel about 2nd gear launches with this clutch? I felt they were a lot quicker than first + second launch but I could be dreaming. Also I didn't have MT-90 in it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wouldn't really recommend 2nd gear launches..have you tried before?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Wouldn't really recommend 2nd gear launches..have you tried before?
    On open roads, never at a strip. What makes you think they're a bad idea? I can't ever hook 1st well and feel I have better modulation in 2nd.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Just pulled my spec stg2+ w/ steel SMFW (non-SAC) today... Now for sale. Only about 6,000mi. I'll have an ad soon with pics alone with some other stuff.
    Did you not like this clutch because of the high engagement? my stock clutch is slipping and I was going to replace with this same setup. What other clutch + flywheel is recommended?
    Click here to enlarge
    460whp/510wtq tuned by Terry

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MAC335 Click here to enlarge
    Did you not like this clutch because of the high engagement? my stock clutch is slipping and I was going to replace with this same setup. What other clutch + flywheel is recommended?
    The clutch was fine, but want to sell my car and it's a little harsh/noisy for many. I do think the lower engagement is better for holding boost during a shift... Much easier for me at least.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @rudypoochris

Any update on the replacement clutch? Is the engagement point better?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @rudypoochris

Any update on the replacement clutch? Is the engagement point better?
    Way better. I sent the old clutch to Spec for review. They say 0.035" wear is toast as the entire clutch thickness isn't to be used since the PP can't apply pressure in that large a range. In either case the TO heights were like 0.2" different and the engagement is farther down on this setting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've had my stage 3+ with steel fw for over 13k miles and so far the clutch never slipped. I do have a problem with it tho, when I have to put the car into first gear from a dead stop it goes only half way in and it doesn't engage, if i press the clutch twice it's fain. If the car is in motion it doesn't have that problem, it goes into first smoothly. The other gears have no problem is just goin into first. When I installed the clutch i put the TO on the high setting because I used to hate the ACT engagement point that I had previously. It was literally 1/4' from the floor. When i had the ACT it didn't have this problem with engagement in first gear. It drives me crazy sometimes when I'm in a rush and the damn thing doesn't want to go in first gear, sometimes i start from 2nd just to avoid that problem. Do you have any issues with yours from a dead stop?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Way better. I sent the old clutch to Spec for review. They say 0.035" wear is toast as the entire clutch thickness isn't to be used since the PP can't apply pressure in that large a range. In either case the TO heights were like 0.2" different and the engagement is farther down on this setting.
    Hey, thanks for the response.

So which setting did you use? I have the BMS clutch stop and Id like to keep the stock engagement point if possible.

Also, I see people recommend both the 2+ and the 3+. What differences give the 3+ a higher holding capacity? I commute in about 1 hour of traffic daily so Im thinking 2+ with Steel FW is gonna be more than enough for my future plans. Terry uses the 2+ for his single turbo and I'm probably not gonna go farther than that... lol IF I even get to that. So Im wondering, why did all of you guys go with the 3+?

Thanks for the help!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've had experience with 2 spec-3 clutches personally, maybe 4 or 5 through friends, and installed maybe 5 for customers in my time working on cars. Failure and unhappy rate was remarkably high. None were on BMW's, but I've seen two spring failures, a disc failure where the tabs holding the spring broke off, two throw out bearing failures, and the ones that didn't fail within 15k miles didn't last much longer before they would start to slip. Maybe 30k miles at best if the car was slow. All the 3's I remember using were 6-pucks though, and never really had smooth engagement, were noisy, harsh... the only thing they did well was keep people from successfully starting in first their first try.

It's why I am REALLY hesitant to give spec any of my money again for this car, and why I'm only even considering a stage-2. And I still might go with ACT or clutchnet or somebody else instead. Sorry, not usually one to rant about companies... except for spec.

The fact they are even talking to you surprises me a lot. They really like to blame the customer for any and all issues in my experience. And I'm glad they are finally acknowledging the pressure plate cannot apply pressure properly once their disc's are somewhat worn... while it doesn't necessarily mean it's failed, it can definitely mean a reduction in the rated torque holding capacity.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    I've had experience with 2 spec-3 clutches personally, maybe 4 or 5 through friends, and installed maybe 5 for customers in my time working on cars. Failure and unhappy rate was remarkably high. None were on BMW's, but I've seen two spring failures, a disc failure where the tabs holding the spring broke off, two throw out bearing failures, and the ones that didn't fail within 15k miles didn't last much longer before they would start to slip. Maybe 30k miles at best if the car was slow. All the 3's I remember using were 6-pucks though, and never really had smooth engagement, were noisy, harsh... the only thing they did well was keep people from successfully starting in first their first try.

It's why I am REALLY hesitant to give spec any of my money again for this car, and why I'm only even considering a stage-2. And I still might go with ACT or clutchnet or somebody else instead. Sorry, not usually one to rant about companies... except for spec.

The fact they are even talking to you surprises me a lot. They really like to blame the customer for any and all issues in my experience. And I'm glad they are finally acknowledging the pressure plate cannot apply pressure properly once their disc's are somewhat worn... while it doesn't necessarily mean it's failed, it can definitely mean a reduction in the rated torque holding capacity.
    Problems is, when going with ACT or something. I don't think any other company sells a single mass flywheel. It's usually needed when upgrading turbos for the vibration and misfire etc.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Exactly my problems. I'm looking at clutchnet, but they only sell aluminum flywheels with their offerings. I've used them before with success, but I don't have time to dick around with things if there's problems... And with aftermarket clutches, that's a commonality.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge

I really don't know what to think of Spec.

They see all these comments and became a vendor to address stuff like this. But then they never posted or addressed it so I was left scratching my head.

Some say they like them, others say there are failures. I really don't know. It's almost 50/50 but I didn't see the level of support I would have liked to.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Problems is, when going with ACT or something. I don't think any other company sells a single mass flywheel. It's usually needed when upgrading turbos for the vibration and misfire etc.
    Tuningwerk in Germany do. They developed their own, actually. But it's very expensive - around 1500 EUR. That's what I would go with if I went down that route.

Alpina_B3_Lux
    Current: Audi R8 V10 2013 S-Tronic, daytona grey, carbon side blades, MTM tune, Michelin PSS tires, Capristo x-pipe
    Gone: Audi R8 V10 2010 manual, ice silver, grey side blades, MTM tune, MTM air filters, Michelin PSS tires
    Gone: BMW 335i Individual (Íhlins, PFC brakes, RB turbos etc.)

Gone: Alpina B3 E46 3,3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why would anyone go with the Spec Stage 3+ if the Stage 2+ will do the job? Both Terry and Shiv use the Spec Stage 2+ for their single turbos yet most of the people in this thread say that they have the 3+. I dont get it. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why would anyone go with the Spec Stage 3+ if the Stage 2+ will do the job? Both Terry and Shiv use the Spec Stage 2+ for their single turbos yet most of the people in this thread say that they have the 3+. I dont get it. Click here to enlarge
    Seems pretty simple to me. 2+ rated at 545 TQ, you can get close to that on stock / stage 1 turbos, our stage 2 car just made 592, our stage 3 car made 609. 3+ is rated at 671. So its pretty simple, 545 tq rating just means you are going to be replacing your clutch a whole lot sooner after it starts slipping. Just because people are doing something doesn't make it right. 545 tq rating is much too low for basically any 335 that is going to be turned up, and 100% not enough for an ST car.

Performance Kits
    Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 2+ Stage 3 Stage 3+ Stage 4 Stage 5 None
    Product Number: SB531-2 SB532-2 SB533H-2 SB533-2 SB533F-2 SB534-2 SB535-2
    Torque Capacity: 430 485 545 580 671 580 820
    Pricing: $599.00 $699.00 $839.00 $799.00 $949.00 $799.00 $949.00

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @VargasTurboTech

Have you driven both the 2+ and 3+? Would you say they are the same in terms of pedal feel and engagement smoothness?
    Click here to enlarge

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast