Close

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Worst of all is to get out of a traffic light, or the a garage, etc. .. very often, the start is abrupt with in short jumps (as if the gearing donīt will be hooked properly).
    It is a big flaw. If you are unlucky enough to be in a jam, I prefer almost push the car.
    Anytime I go back to DM. For me it is much better than the SM.
    If I find a DM with the same power that SM, i would change quickly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Got any links to failures? I still think both of these are non issues for this platform and its disingenuous to express it otherwise. TOs will fail from time to time and cranks may walk but based on the sample size we have, it really doesn't seem to come up. I always hold my clutch in, like 99% of the time with 40+ miles of traffic a day. Maybe you got a poorly designed TO?
    Whelp. I haven't had one fail. I'm glad yours hasn't either... *shrug* it is widely accepted by virtually every wrench that you shouldn't sit at lights with the clutch disengaged. This is backed up by "science". If you don't agree then OK but don't call it *ahem* disingenuous advice.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Whelp. I haven't had one fail. I'm glad yours hasn't either... *shrug* it is widely accepted by virtually every wrench that you shouldn't sit at lights with the clutch disengaged. This is backed up by "science". If you don't agree then OK but don't call it *ahem* disingenuous advice.
    You're saying its s problem when it isn't. That's the issue. No one is going to say its better to stand on the clutch at stop lights, but its not going to hurt the car either. To say it will on this platform really isn't substantiated in any sort of fact.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cupra Click here to enlarge
    Worst of all is to get out of a traffic light, or the a garage, etc. .. very often, the start is abrupt with in short jumps (as if the gearing donīt will be hooked properly).
    It is a big flaw. If you are unlucky enough to be in a jam, I prefer almost push the car.
    Anytime I go back to DM. For me it is much better than the SM.
    If I find a DM with the same power that SM, i would change quickly.
    This has almost nothing to do with the dmfw and everything to do with the material on the clutch. The clutch is grabber, but id hardly consider it an issue in traffic...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This has almost nothing to do with the dmfw and everything to do with the material on the clutch. The clutch is grabber, but id hardly consider it an issue in traffic...
    with DMFW not have tremors, neither any kind of leaps in first gear.
    Nor any noises, etc...
    I mean, that yes it have a lot to do

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I like this cupra guy. very tremors. such noise. so wow.

Im with you dude. I would love a high HP capable DMFW. I just don't see it happening any time soon.

Time for DCT? Mebe...
    Click here to enlarge
    460whp/510wtq tuned by Terry

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You're saying its s problem when it isn't. That's the issue. No one is going to say its better to stand on the clutch at stop lights, but its not going to hurt the car either. To say it will on this platform really isn't substantiated in any sort of fact.
    Its substantiated by the fact that our clutch works like every other modern clutch. The throwout bearings will fail and there's at least one documented thrust bearing failure. There are many more instances of failures in other manual trans cars which operate the same exact way as our 335i's do.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cupra Click here to enlarge
    with DMFW not have tremors, neither any kind of leaps in first gear.
    Nor any noises, etc...
    I mean, that yes it have a lot to do
    This is due to the clutch material, not the fw construction, SMF flywheels have been used for decades before the DMFW came along and they work just fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its substantiated by the fact that our clutch works like every other modern clutch. The throwout bearings will fail and there's at least one documented thrust bearing failure. There are many more instances of failures in other manual trans cars which operate the same exact way as our 335i's do.
    That's my point, TOs aren't a weak spot on 99% of clutches. They are designed to last the life of the disc and they do. Again, TO failure is not an issue, stop pretending like it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682355
    And other results after simple googling. Two confirmed cases, don't forget to read both pages Click here to enlarge
    That's my point, TOs aren't a weak spot on 99% of clutches. They are designed to last the life of the disc and they do. Again, TO failure is not an issue, stop pretending like it is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682355
    And other results after simple googling. Two confirmed cases, don't forget to read both pages Click here to enlarge
    Cool, one guy had a TO fail. Hardly enough to be considered an issue.

https://www.google.com/#q=n54+throwo...ined=undefined

No hits for a failure.

https://www.google.com/#q=n54+hpfp&undefined=undefined
    https://www.google.com/#q=n54+inject...ined=undefined

Every hit a failure or a replacement DIY.

Crankwalk and TO failures aren't an issue on this platform. End of story. I don't get why this is so hard, there are hardly any events where this happened.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool, one guy had a TO fail. Hardly enough to be considered an issue.

https://www.google.com/#q=n54+throwo...ined=undefined

No hits for a failure.

https://www.google.com/#q=n54+hpfp&undefined=undefined
    https://www.google.com/#q=n54+inject...ined=undefined

Every hit a failure or a replacement DIY.

Crankwalk and TO failures aren't an issue on this platform. End of story. I don't get why this is so hard, there are hardly any events where this happened.
    I guess because not everyone sits with the clutch disengaged at stop :] And there were two cases in that one link. I think most people just replace them, it's not like they fail catastrophically, TOB starts making noise and then they go to the dealer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Finaly got to get a feel for how heavy the spec 3+ clutch is. Went to HP Autowerks to pick up some t bolt clamps and @Turbomike car was there. He was kind enough to let me try out the clutch stiffness. It's definetly a good deal stiffer than stock , but nothing I won't get used to. I also got to sit in harold's 1m with the new hp clutch pedal assembly that eliminates the slop and side to side movement. It's nice, but I don't track my car so probably won't need it.

I wish I had started it to hear how much louder it is with the single mass flywheel...next time

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anymore clutch updates would be appreciated. Especially, since I'm purchasing one hopefully by the end of next week. I'm more interested in the 3+ because I've had a bad experience with a previous clutch that used kevlar. The 2+ only uses 1 side for kevlar so I haven't totally dismissed it from my choices. Again thanks for any updates!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910