Close

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MAC335 Click here to enlarge
    @VargasTurboTech

Have you driven both the 2+ and 3+? Would you say they are the same in terms of pedal feel and engagement smoothness?
    I drive the 3+ everyday to and from the shop and everywhere as my daily driver. It has near stock engagement point, slightly heavier than stock pedal feel, and smoothness all depends on the driver. I can launch the car easily without shutter, now when I put my GF behind the wheel it would shake quite a bit as she wasn't used to it. The tranny noise from the SMFW has gone from noticeable to now I forget its even in there, it seems to have quieted down quite a bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanx for that info on the clutch. I'm thinking that I might need to buy this clutch and fw setup before I give u a call about the S2's in a month or two!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Anybody have experience with an aluminum flywheel? Is the chatter really noticeable there?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Anybody have experience with an aluminum flywheel? Is the chatter really noticeable there?
    I think the chatter is only noticeable at idle and you can eliminate it by pressing in the clutch if I'm not mistaken. It will have some chatter though especially depending on the weight/design.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I drive the 3+ everyday to and from the shop and everywhere as my daily driver. It has near stock engagement point, slightly heavier than stock pedal feel, and smoothness all depends on the driver. I can launch the car easily without shutter, now when I put my GF behind the wheel it would shake quite a bit as she wasn't used to it. The tranny noise from the SMFW has gone from noticeable to now I forget its even in there, it seems to have quieted down quite a bit.
    I'd rep you if I could. Thanks for the review.

Btw, how is your commute to the shop? If you had to drive the car daily in about an hour of stop and go traffic, would that make you cringe or is it no prob?
    Click here to enlarge
    460whp/510wtq tuned by Terry

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    I read the whole thread (and many others on this subject) and basically what people are saying is that:

1. Alum. flywheel will be the loudest chatter.

2. Will be the hardest to take off in 1st gear smoothly.

3. The gains in acceleration don't outweigh the above^ unless its a track/weekend only car and you want every ounce of performance.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

I'd rep you if I could. Thanks for the review.

Btw, how is your commute to the shop? If you had to drive the car daily in about an hour of stop and go traffic, would that make you cringe or is it no prob?
    my commute is like 5-10 minutes at most. But I have driven the car in plenty of traffic, its not bad at all once its broken in. Also stay away from the alum SMFW if this is a street car

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I sit in 30-45m of traffic daily with it and the stage 3+ is fine.
    E92 Bren Tune
    E91 Stock
    E90 PTF Tune

Mod lists are for the weak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

No big difference with the stock clutch.
    Only a little harder (very little), but the output in 1st gear sometimes have a jerks (and we not talking about to being better or worse driver Click here to enlarge).
    It is noisy at idle (even more if you use the A / A), and make a lot of noise and vibration a lot rpm (if you donīt put the music lol)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

I read the whole thread (and many others on this subject) and basically what people are saying is that:

1. Alum. flywheel will be the loudest chatter.

2. Will be the hardest to take off in 1st gear smoothly.

3. The gains in acceleration don't outweigh the above^ unless its a track/weekend only car and you want every ounce of performance.
    I've driven plenty of cars with aluminum flywheels, I don't mind the driving characteristics. Even with 4cyl cars in Colorado it was fine, also I don't mind chatter... but, if the engine responsiveness is not remarkably better than the steel unit, I'd just as soon not have those other two considerations. I've driven a car with the steel wheel but never an aluminum flywheel 335, the steel unit was way better than stock so I'm not sure if the negatives would be worth it, even if I don't "mind" them per say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think the chatter is only noticeable at idle and you can eliminate it by pressing in the clutch if I'm not mistaken. It will have some chatter though especially depending on the weight/design.
    Don't do this. Because wear on throwout bearing (definitely an issue) and crank-walk (might not be an issue.)
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Don't do this. Because wear on throwout bearing (definitely an issue) and crank-walk (might not be an issue.)
    Well whatever I've got a DCT so there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I think both of these are non issues. Truly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I think both of these are non issues. Truly.
    Mmmmmmm.... TOBs die on this platform, bro - that's definitely an issue.
    As for crank walk....
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 Click here to enlarge
    This happened to a race team on their N52 race motor. They had to crank a built race motor with a stiff clutch for a long period to get it to start. Someone thought the clutch had to be pushed in to start, but it had a standalone Bosch MS ECU. The prolonged cranking with low/no oil pressure damaged the thrust bearing.

The N52 and N54 (and N55 I assume, too) have only ONE HALF of a thrust bearing - main #3 top shell.
    And others have (I dont have links or references) spoken about thrust bearing wear with heavier pressure plates.

+ Not to mention it's simply safer to be in neutral with the clutch fully engaged.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

If anyone thinks they are going to have a "slightly" different experience going DM to SM and full faced to 1 side pucked clutch... you will be surprised. If a weekend warrior with limited traffic, parking lots, GF shopping and more spirited, track driving... go for it. It has a very solid feel and is fun with the needed throttle revving for slowish driving. But if you do more of the DD thing you will prob wish you chanced it with the DM grenade and potential need to turn off misfire detection.

The chatter is at idle and also lowish rpm on acceleration. You can't really compare n54 to other older engines due to the difference in idle and general torque targeting... this is big reason for the chatter... the broader instant torque range. The shudder from static was more of a DD issue then the chatter for me though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    If anyone thinks they are going to have a "slightly" different experience going DM to SM and full faced to 1 side pucked clutch... you will be surprised. If a weekend warrior with limited traffic, parking lots, GF shopping and more spirited, track driving... go for it. It has a very solid feel and is fun with the needed throttle revving for slowish driving. But if you do more of the DD thing you will prob wish you chanced it with the DM grenade and potential need to turn off misfire detection.

The chatter is at idle and also lowish rpm on acceleration. You can't really compare n54 to other older engines due to the difference in idle and general torque targeting... this is big reason for the chatter... the broader instant torque range. The shudder from static was more of a DD issue then the chatter for me though.
    Was this with steel or aluminum? Definitely understand the platform is different, just deciding what I want to do in this guys thread haha. I'm still split. Not like it's a huge deal or big rush but I don't really want to sacrifice smoothness/noise unless it's both A: going to be bad either way and B: provide useful driving benefits (like rev matching, response). I'll have to post in the Houston group and see if I can check out a local car with aluminum flywheel. There's bound to be one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

My experience was with steel SM. To clarify I also had the first TB design which did NOT have radius on the fork contact. This could have effected shudder on engagement (uneven pressure on diaphragm), but to what degree I have no idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I think if the idle was raised the chatter would go away...could be wrong but if I rev it just a tiny bit the chatter goes away in neutral.

Can idle be changed easily?

It also might be easier to engage 1st gear if the idle was slightly higher...
    E92 Bren Tune
    E91 Stock
    E90 PTF Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

I raised idle to about 850 (max I could) and helped chatter a little. Revving is a little different though and can't really relate it to an idle setpoint.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

going DM to SM and full faced to 1 side pucked clutch
    Can you explain what you mean by "1 side pucked clutch"?

Per the Spec website, both the 2+ and the 3+ are full faced. The only difference in the description is that the 2+ is one side carbon semi-metallic/one side Kevlar and the 3+ is both sides carbon semi-metallic.

But if you do more of the DD thing you will prob wish you chanced it with the DM grenade and potential need to turn off misfire detection.
    I think I'd rather have some trouble daily driving than have the DMFW grenade and take out my feet while I'm mid pull at an airstrip race.....how would I slow down?Click here to enlarge

Jokes aside, your saying that basically the shudder from static comes from going DM-->SM. I wonder if there is less shudder with the 2+ than the 3+.

The shudder from static was more of a DD issue then the chatter for me though.
    My main concern is also the drivability. Hoping I wont mind the chatter. Hopefully having the new throwout bearing with radius helps reduce the shudder too.

@rudypoochris Could you comment on drivability and how it is to start from a stop and accelerate normally through the gears? Also is your new clutch fully broken in yet? Thanks man. Hope to make a decision and get a new clutch ordered soon.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

The shudder is the disc design, material (potentially TB)... which is pucked for 2+ on 1 side. The chatter is the FW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I raised idle to about 850 (max I could) and helped chatter a little. Revving is a little different though and can't really relate it to an idle setpoint.
    If you rev and hold it at 1k and then at 1.5k the chatter basically goes away from my memory. Isn't that the same as setting the idle point?

How did you raise the idle?
    E92 Bren Tune
    E91 Stock
    E90 PTF Tune

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have been using the spec stage 3+ and steel flywheel for about 6 months without any problems. As far a drivability goes the engagement is fairly smooth with some shudder at times, but my wife and I have yet to stall the car. The chatter at idle get louder as things warm up but not to bad unless AC is on. Unlike what I heard others say my chatter never really got quieter with time although I don't feel its really that bad as you get use to it. My only concern as others have expressed is the engagement of the clutch pedal is near the end of travel. I will be very disappointed if I don't get reasonable mileage out of this combo. It just don't seem like there is a solid option for a clutch flywheel combo that is sure to hold and last without issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mmmmmmm.... TOBs die on this platform, bro - that's definitely an issue.
    As for crank walk....

And others have (I dont have links or references) spoken about thrust bearing wear with heavier pressure plates.

+ Not to mention it's simply safer to be in neutral with the clutch fully engaged.
    Got any links to failures? I still think both of these are non issues for this platform and its disingenuous to express it otherwise. TOs will fail from time to time and cranks may walk but based on the sample size we have, it really doesn't seem to come up. I always hold my clutch in, like 99% of the time with 40+ miles of traffic a day. Maybe you got a poorly designed TO?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Can you explain what you mean by "1 side pucked clutch"?

Per the Spec website, both the 2+ and the 3+ are full faced. The only difference in the description is that the 2+ is one side carbon semi-metallic/one side Kevlar and the 3+ is both sides carbon semi-metallic.

I think I'd rather have some trouble daily driving than have the DMFW grenade and take out my feet while I'm mid pull at an airstrip race.....how would I slow down?Click here to enlarge

Jokes aside, your saying that basically the shudder from static comes from going DM-->SM. I wonder if there is less shudder with the 2+ than the 3+.

My main concern is also the drivability. Hoping I wont mind the chatter. Hopefully having the new throwout bearing with radius helps reduce the shudder too.

@rudypoochris Could you comment on drivability and how it is to start from a stop and accelerate normally through the gears? Also is your new clutch fully broken in yet? Thanks man. Hope to make a decision and get a new clutch ordered soon.
    The shudder was an annoyance but it wasn't bad except on hills and certain loads. You would just slip it more to avoid shudder. You can also get rid of the shudder by either launching the clutch hard a couple times every once in a while or starting in second gear instead of first. The shudder is much less on the redesigned TO and the clutch engagement is much lower if you use the low setting.

The only difference between DMF and SMF for street driving is that you can't go WOT 1000-1600rpms without it droning. I'm okay having given this up.

As for rattle, its different for different people but on my steel smf I almost never have it. you can get the chatter if you use AC, but I do not. It will go away no matter what if you push the clutch in. To be honest I wish I had got the aluminum flywheel as I hold the clutch in and dont use the AC anyway.

The difference between stock and stage 3+ with steel smf really aren't that much to be honest. Its not s life and death thing, the drivability differences are almost nill with the rattle concerns depending on your car and use of AC/clutch pedal.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast