Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 239
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Spec 3+ and Steel SMF

    Hey Guys,

    This has been a long time coming. My Spec Stage 3+ clutch with the newly developed steel SMF has just come in! Tomorrow it is going for the install. I do not plan to do the most in-depth review, but I have identified a few criteria for success:

    1. It doesn't rattle
    2. It holds my current torque (around 430whp or so) and what I plan on adding with pre-turbo meth (xxxwhp)

    Additional benefits I'd like to hit:

    3. Faster/smoother rev matches and quicker throttle response
    4. Better drivability around town (I feel like this car lurches a lot, maybe its just my poor driving)

    Already right off the bat, I can say the build quality appears to be good. Nothing looks janky, things lineup, the flywheel appears sturdy, the clutch disk is beautiful. That being said, is it $1,500 good? We'll see...

    One thing to note: I was told this flywheel would weigh 22lbs. It in fact weighs 23.6lbs. In the grand scheme of things, its not a big deal, but I would have appreciated the lighter weight. The design carries the bulk of the mass in the center of the flywheel and should result in a lower MOI than the DMFW. I am still optimistic about quicker rev matches.

    Pictures:

    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

    Stock sound:



    This was taken from about 4ft away, ground level, passengers side door. Yeah, you can hear my turbo whine.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,867
    Rep Points
    31,811.9
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Looking forward to the review!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Roanoke VA
    Posts
    1,632
    Rep Points
    2,248.3
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    In for review. My stock clutch is holding on like a goddamn hero at 62K miles but i think it's time is coming...
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    109
    Rep Points
    218.2
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Did you get a SAC clutch (the second table on SPEC's website)?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TCW Click here to enlarge
    Did you get a SAC clutch (the second table on SPEC's website)?
    I ditched the OEM setup altogether. So no, I don't believe I got the SAC clutch. I should have the one rated to 671ftlbs. The SAC units are rated to less and that deterred me from going that route.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jersey City
    Posts
    3,857
    Rep Points
    3,642.6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    37


    Yes Reputation No
    In for a review, nice pics. My stock setup is holding at 55k but I'm only fbo cobb stg2+ on pump. My main concern would be "OEM like" feel.....hopefully it won't be too heavy or rattle like crazy.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,683
    Rep Points
    3,335.6
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    SAC setup is 25lbs, 3lbs heavier than non-SAC..find the part number and i'll let you know what you got...basically if you've git a -2 in the product number (SKU) you got the non-SAC kit

    I could've set you up with a bit better price than 1500 though..
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 01-03-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    937
    Rep Points
    562.7
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Interested in the results. FW doesn't look right... I thought there was a center shaft for the pilot bearing. Or is it a separate piece that presses in.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    353.4
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Or is it a separate piece that presses in.
    yes

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    353.4
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Looking forward to hearing your review.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    SAC setup is 25lbs, 3lbs heavier than non-SAC..find the part number and i'll let you know what you got...basically if you've git a -2 in the product number (SKU) you got the non-SAC kit

    I could've set you up with a bit better price than 1500 though..
    I should have mentioned. It was $1,377 shipped. Also it is the non-SAC componentry. P/Ns in bottom left of one of the photos.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Interested in the results. FW doesn't look right... I thought there was a center shaft for the pilot bearing. Or is it a separate piece that presses in.
    You press in the center spindle from the stock DMF.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    353.4
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    You press in the center spindle from the stock DMF.
    I hope your pilot bearing comes out much easier than mine did. Little guy did not want to leave his home.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    I hope your pilot bearing comes out much easier than mine did. Little guy did not want to leave his home.
    Fortunately I found a shop to do the clutch swap for $520 in San Francisco no less. Phenomenal!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    353.4
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Fortunately I found a shop to do the clutch swap for $520 in San Francisco no less. Phenomenal!
    Nice. But make sure they actually put the new pilot bearing in. Mine did not want to come out. And if the shop doesn't know you that well, there is always the possiblity they just leave the old one in if it is a PITA to get out.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    Nice. But make sure they actually put the new pilot bearing in. Mine did not want to come out. And if the shop doesn't know you that well, there is always the possiblity they just leave the old one in if it is a PITA to get out.
    Oh I see, you meant the pilot (little 1" diameter bearing) that goes inside the OE spindle, not just the spindle? I will make sure they get this done. The guy seems pretty honest and open to discussion, but I will make sure.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,683
    Rep Points
    3,335.6
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Fortunately I found a shop to do the clutch swap for $520 in San Francisco no less. Phenomenal!
    That price is ok but shouldn't be more than 400 max tbh given its a shop with some experience doing a clutch on this car
    Click here to enlarge

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    That price is ok but shouldn't be more than 400 max tbh given its a shop with some experience doing a clutch on this car
    They haven't done this car before. Normally do Nissan/Acura. All the prices around the Bay Area are based around 7.5-8 hours labor at $150/hr. Lowest quote out of the 7 others was $880, but that was in the booneys. Most were around $1200. So for me $520 is a good deal! Click here to enlarge

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    3,868
    Rep Points
    2,450.1
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Yes Reputation No
    $520 is a very good deal. I paid 6hrs x $80/hr =$480 and that's to the shop I get all of my work done at so it was quite the deal for me. $520 at a shop you have no history with is very good as long as they do a good job Click here to enlarge
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    109
    Rep Points
    218.2
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Where do you find the rating on the clutch disk? Specifically the rating for the stage 2+ with SAC (SB533H)?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,683
    Rep Points
    3,335.6
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    4-4.5hrs tops to do a clutch on THIS car guys but I do understand when you go to a shop that hasn't done it before and typically doesn't work on this car...that's

    With a lift in a shop that's done it before should be able to do it very comfortably in 3
    Click here to enlarge

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,683
    Rep Points
    3,335.6
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TCW Click here to enlarge
    Where do you find the rating on the clutch disk? Specifically the rating for the stage 2+ with SAC (SB533H)?
    Our spec sheet has the 2+ rated at 545lb-ft
    Click here to enlarge

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    330
    Rep Points
    353.4
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Oh I see, you meant the pilot (little 1" diameter bearing) that goes inside the OE spindle, not just the spindle? I will make sure they get this done. The guy seems pretty honest and open to discussion, but I will make sure.
    Yeah that's the one. They might try to tell you that you don't need replacing it, but since it comes with the kit it is a good idea to replace it. I'd give them a heads up that it can be a pain and to make sure they have a pilot bearing puller that is big enough. If they know that you know about it, less likely to try and get away with leaving the old one in.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,177
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    4-4.5hrs tops to do a clutch on THIS car guys but I do understand when you go to a shop that hasn't done it before and typically doesn't work on this car...that's

    With a lift in a shop that's done it before should be able to do it very comfortably in 3
    I looked at the work, came to the same assessment on time, and each shop told me I was wrong and they go by the BMW book time. Of course I know better than that, but around here its not that easy. Cost of living is pretty high.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,683
    Rep Points
    3,335.6
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Cost of living is pretty high.
    Have you checked the cost of living in Toronto, Canada? Click here to enlarge One of the most expensive cities to live in NA
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •