Thread: Going from G4 board to G5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Going from G4 board to G5

Hey,

Quick question,

I have a n54, with jb4 g4 board.. Have been hearing lots and lots of talk about the new ISO firmware.. I was just wondering what would be the steps necessary in order for me to get that new ISO firmware..

Step 1. Buy upgrade for $150..

Then what??

Thanks in advance!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Im assuming this is 335iBoii from E90Post that i was talking to? If so, glad i could get you back on here Click here to enlarge

Lets get @Terry@BMS to comment, as well as others more familiar with the JB4 board

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

haha you got it. only jumped back on here because of you! I sent Terry an email hopefully he'll get back to me whenever he has a chance (im sure he will). But yea didn't wanna make a big deal out of it, just thought some info on how exactly to go from a g4 board to the new the g5 iso firmware would be a good thread to have as I am now extremely interested in updated my g4 board to the iso firmware.. I just wanna make sure it is as simple as buying the new update for $150, switching the old "black box" to the new g5 one that gets sent.. and then some cutting is required from what i understand even before updating to the iso firmware.. Just wanted to clear up all these little details.. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yea, thats it. Buy the upgrade (tell him you want ISO) and replace the G4 with the G5 board. Update firmware, apply settings, drive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boggyboy Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    haha you got it. only jumped back on here because of you! I sent Terry an email hopefully he'll get back to me whenever he has a chance (im sure he will). But yea didn't wanna make a big deal out of it, just thought some info on how exactly to go from a g4 board to the new the g5 iso firmware would be a good thread to have as I am now extremely interested in updated my g4 board to the iso firmware.. I just wanna make sure it is as simple as buying the new update for $150, switching the old "black box" to the new g5 one that gets sent.. and then some cutting is required from what i understand even before updating to the iso firmware.. Just wanted to clear up all these little details.. Click here to enlarge
    You hear that @Sticky? I recruited from 'the other site'. You owe me Click here to enlarge

And @Terry@BMS is one of the best in the business, he will get back to you soon (although he may be tied up due to the Holidays).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh it gets no better than terry Click here to enlarge haha but what do you mean tell terry i want the iso? dont i once i get the g5 board have to cut a diode or something on my own?!?!? thats the part that worries me.. without cutting the diode i dont think i can download the new iso firmware Click here to enlarge and i dont feel comfortable cutting the diode myself haha -__-
    JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCI, AR DP's, ER CP, Synapse BOV, AlpineMSS HID Kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1524 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    You hear that @Sticky ? I recruited from 'the other site'. You owe me
    You got repped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

oh it gets no better than terry Click here to enlarge haha but what do you mean tell terry i want the iso? dont i once i get the g5 board have to cut a diode or something on my own?!?!? thats the part that worries me.. without cutting the diode i dont think i can download the new iso firmware Click here to enlarge and i dont feel comfortable cutting the diode myself haha -__-
    Just tell Terry, or put in the order comments that you want the ISO version and they will cut it for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Im not terribly sure, ill try to dig up something about the switch from G4 to G5 ISO and let you know what i find. Brb.

EDIT: Was answered in @rudypoochris 's post above. Ninja'd my post.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You got repped.
    My life is complete.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i never knew i could tell Terry to include the ISO version.. that would solve everything haha id just have to switch the g4 "black box" with the g5 one which has already been cut and then just download the iso firmware??

that would make it easier.. haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

i never knew i could tell Terry to include the ISO version.. that would solve everything haha id just have to switch the g4 "black box" with the g5 one which has already been cut and then just download the iso firmware??

that would make it easier.. haha
    Yep, that sounds right to me. Goodluck with your purchase!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hopefully all goes well! Click here to enlarge thanks for all your help.. and while were at it, anyone know any pros worth listing that the ISO firmware brings to the table? as I have now made the decision to go ahead & upgrade to the g5 board.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

hopefully all goes well! Click here to enlarge thanks for all your help.. and while were at it, anyone know any pros worth listing that the ISO firmware brings to the table? as I have now made the decision to go ahead & upgrade to the g5 board.
    First off ill post what ive learned:

Hey guys,

As many know we've recently released a new JB4 board called the G5. The G5 has everything the G4 has in addition to:

1) A revised boost control system allowing both isolated or integrated control with no hardware PWM/duty cycle limits, etc. PWM limiting is all software/firmware based.
    2) Built in crank position offset (CPS) and speed limit defeat (SLD) through additional wires that can be connected to the DB9 connector w/ the BMS USB cable.
    3) An extra high current output that can be used to power a 2STEP relay, nitrous relay, etc.
    4) Smaller O2 biasing resistors allowing a wider range of AFR adjustment.
    5) Some additional analog and digital I/O for future expansion.

Basically, the idea with the G5 is to address the evolving tuning needs of our higher horsepower customers. The G5 uses unique firmware.

The G5 board upgrade is $150 outright. We no longer offer a trade in program on G4 boards.

Also the extra wires and relay system are ala-cart. e.g. wires to enable SLD or CPS $10, and relay with PNP connector for 2STEP/NLS $35, for those that need them.
    The isolated control effectively disconnects boost management from the DME completely. Allowing the JB4 to independently control boost and throttle. And in doing so we're able to deliver snappier, more linear, and perfectly predictable boost targeting response across a much wider range of conditions. We're no longer forced to work around the DME duty cycle limits and throttle logic. Which means we can implement our own more performance oriented logic.

The integrated control scheme we've been using since the JB4 was released is fairly extensively developed and generally works very well. But with only a few weeks of development the isolated setup is showing it's potential by pulling ahead in terms of precision, consistency, and most measurable boost control categories. As a result we're seeing an improved "driver enjoyment" rating from customers testing it. So I expect in the coming months iso control will completely replace the integrated control as far as the G5 board goes. Click here to enlarge
    Isolated boost is comign out for the G5 which is gonna be great. Boost is controlled completely by the JB4 and not through the DME. Snappier boost, more consistent and controlled.

On top of that, the G5 gives you unlimited boost, no OHM's to play with, and you get a built in speed limiter defeat.

Along with No lift shift, 2 step limiter among other things.

So Yes, its worth it even for no FBO guys. SLD, NLS, 2 step, isolated boost just somethings everyone can use.
    PLus its gonna have all the goodies that will come out down the road, so G5 is a no brainer.
    I learned this stuff from:
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753584

which leads you to

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17336
    and
    http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15904

I plan on selling my Rev2.5 SE eventually and buying a G5 ISO. Soon Click here to enlarge @Terry@BMS feel free to correct or improve upon anything i quoted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

couldnt ask for a better post!!! I just now sent Terry another email asking if he would be able to pre cut the diodes for my order.. I want it soo bad now hahaha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

couldnt ask for a better post!!! I just now sent Terry another email asking if he would be able to pre cut the diodes for my order.. I want it soo bad now hahaha
    No problem!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I just upgraded about a month ago too. You can send an email to terry if you want your g5 sent with the diodes cut already or you can cut it when you get it. The iso firmware can be had on n54tech since the g5 is sent with the integrated firmware even if it was sent as an iso g5. All I gotta say is the g4 to iso g5 was a world of difference to me. My car is a lot more smooth, more quiet, and boost targets a lot better. Love it and I'm sure you will too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justohigh Click here to enlarge
    I just upgraded about a month ago too. You can send an email to terry if you want your g5 sent with the diodes cut already or you can cut it when you get it. The iso firmware can be had on n54tech since the g5 is sent with the integrated firmware even if it was sent as an iso g5. All I gotta say is the g4 to iso g5 was a world of difference to me. My car is a lot more smooth, more quiet, and boost targets a lot better. Love it and I'm sure you will too.

Yup i sent an email to see if i can get one sent thats already been pre cut. So once I get it, it will have the regular g5 firmware. Ill have to go to n54tech and download the ISO firmware correct??

Also once the ISO firmware is installed do I have to make any adjustments to lagfix or future use ___ or any of those or just leave it as always, choose what i want on my gauges and drive Click here to enlarge ?? lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yup i sent an email to see if i can get one sent thats already been pre cut. So once I get it it will have the regular g5 firmware. Ill have to go to n54tech and download the ISO firmware correct??

Also once the ISO firmware is installed do I have to make any adjustments to lagfix or future use ___ or any of those or just leave it as always, choose what i want on my gauges and drive Click here to enlarge ?? lol
    Yes you will have to go to n54tech to Dload the firmware no matter. You can change settings if you want, but I left it since there are preloaded settings already. You cam change things like lag fix if you have wastegate rattle or if you want a certain type of boost response.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Oh yeah, the gauge hijacking is done with the steering wheel control in car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

got it.. dont think ill play with any of those features, i never did except for bogfix.. and the latest iso firmware is ISO 15?? (the one i have to download once i put the g5 board in the car)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

got it.. dont think ill play with any of those features, i never did except for bogfix.. and the latest iso firmware is ISO 15?? (the one i have to download once i put the g5 board in the car)
    The newest firm is iso 15b

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yupp, kk think im starting to get this .. smh haha ive just had so many bad expiereces i TRIPLE check everything i do now.. anytime i try and do something to the car something always happens to go wrong and then i get it working and am a happy man until the next thing comes along haha in this case, the g5 iso upgrade!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Should be pretty simple once you get it in your hands. Ill be jealous that your ISO Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

haha hopefully everything will be sent pre cut as i ask and the rest should be easy.. ill definetly let you know how the iso is once I get it going, hopefully in the next little while.. it is snowing like crazy down here tho so doubt ill really be able to test it out "the right way"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

haha hopefully everything will be sent pre cut as i ask and the rest should be easy.. ill definetly let you know how the iso is once I get it going, hopefully in the next little while.. it is snowing like crazy down here tho so doubt ill really be able to test it out "the right way"
    Where in ny?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast