Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

BMW N63 Tuning Potential - ~700 hp will be common place

The N63 is the most exciting motor from a performance standpoint that BMW has ever produced. For those that are not familiar with it, this motor and variations of it power the following models and will power the upcoming M5 and M6:

• 2008– E71 X6 xDrive50i
    • 2009– E70 X5 M
    • 2009– E71 X6 M
    • 2009– F01 Sedan 750i/750Li
    • 2010– F10 Sedan 550i

We will see huge aftermarket gains with this motor. RDsport has claimed (no dyno... surprise) 620hp out of the 550i. I don't doubt this figure will be reached and will not raise eyebrows. Noelle Motors claims hitting 650 hp out of the base N63's with modded turbos and new pistons:

for the following BMW models:

BMW F07 550i GT
    BMW E71 X6 5,0i
    BMW F01 750i saloon
    automatic gearbox

modifications to standard engine / scope of delivery:

ECU with new program
    new pistons
    new outlet manifold
    new turbo charger
    without catalysts converter (two replacement pipes)

technical engine dates:

cylinders 8
    bore: 89,00 mm
    stroke: 88,30 mm
    effective capacity 4395 ccm
    compression ratio 9,3

engine power:

max. HP

650 HP/6250 min-1
    (BMW series
    407 HP/5500 min-1)

Noelle Graph: Click here to enlarge

They use modified turbos and new pistons, but basically, all the N63's will be able to hit the same level regardless of the starting application.

So why even bother buying an M version of this motor? Why not save money and tune? Well, the chassis, brakes, and transmission of an M car are very good reasons. But another reason is that the M versions will essentially be easier and cheaper to reach the 700 hp level with.

On the M versions of the N63, they already have different turbos, so a tune alone will take it up to the 600-650+ hp range. The M version of the motor will be what the X50 was for the 996 turbo, same base, but with different turbos capable of putting out more power with a tune only. It will take much more to have the base 550i reach the M5 with a tune. This is what will keep the distance between the M owners and the 550i owners. I have no doubt BMW is thinking the same thing, or else how do you justify the cost? Suspension and brakes may not be enough, and they definitely have learned something from the N54 and the M3 in regards to hierarchy.

The base N63 with a tune will be capable of only around 460-500 hp as Noelle shows here just an ECU tune: Click here to enlarge

All the N63's will be capable of ending up in the same place, as the displacement and rev limit will be the same across the board. The M motors will gain a much higher level with a tune only due to turbo differences. This will keep the separation and mimic the X50 package of the 996 turbo. BMW will have to face the reality that tuning and forced induction go hand and hand, their trial period with the N54 certainly has taught them that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Damn... you will have to love the look on people's faces when this SUV fly's past them.
    This is my signature... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 Click here to enlarge
    Damn... you will have to love the look on people's faces when this SUV fly's past them.
    When everything with a BMW twin turbo V8 flies by them... can't wait until someone puts some huge snails in that V.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    When everything with a BMW twin turbo V8 flies by them... can't wait until someone puts some huge snails in that V.
    You know it will happen.... its only a matter of time.

So, what are the differences between the x5 and the x6....so they both use the n63 engine as a standard option??

I take it that all these numbers are Brake HP numbers, correct??

I just noticed that the new m5 and m6 will use this motor except with larger turbos....
    Last edited by BadBoostedBmwM3; 01-28-2010 at 12:03 AM.
    This is my signature... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 Click here to enlarge
    You know it will happen.... its only a matter of time.

So, what are the differences between the x5 and the x6....so they both use the n63 engine as a standard option??

I take it that all these numbers are Brake HP numbers, correct??

I just noticed that the new m5 and m6 will use this motor except with larger turbos....
    Yes, all BHP.

Yep, that is basically my whole point. What you will get with the M motors is basically a much larger power level with just a tune than you will on the base cars. For the base cars to reach the M cars power wise they will need upgraded turbos. Basically, both will be able to reach the same levels.

Hence why I drew the comparison to a K16 996 turbo and a K24 996 turbo which was a similar situation that has already taken place.

My next car will more than likely be a TT V8 M6.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How do the turbos on the V-8 compare to those used on the N54? Same size? I wonder what kind of potential there is for using the larger N63 turbos on an N54...
    2010 LeMans Blue M Sport 335i: JB3 2.0, BMS DCI, BMS TT/BG, 19" VM V714, JB Kidneys, Painted Ref, Debadged, UR CL DP's, TEIN S-Tech Springs

Old Ride: 2007 Montego 335i 6MT 12.34@111

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

the v8 turbos are of course bigger, they're taking 4 exhaust pulses and not 3, they're different. and if they're going to be on an M car, they have to perform well and be reliable. now you can say that about the n54 turbos at stock boost levels. but once you up the boost, problems can occur which many of you know. my bet though is that the m turbos will be much more robust and able to take a licking much better than the td03-10t
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    my bet though is that the m turbos will be much more robust and able to take a licking much better than the td03-10t
    This is the basis behind the thought process for the article Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Man, can't wait to see the realized potential of these cars. The next generation M5s, M6s, and M3s are going to be a lot of fun to modify. Significantly better power/cost ratio I'd imagine.

If only they could find a way to start losing some weight.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stahlgrau Click here to enlarge
    Man, can't wait to see the realized potential of these cars. The next generation M5s, M6s, and M3s are going to be a lot of fun to modify. Significantly better power/cost ratio I'd imagine.

If only they could find a way to start losing some weight.
    I think all the safety and luxury addons will prevent us from seeing very lightweight cars from BMW ever again unless they are special models (CSL, GTS.)

Let us all just be happy Porsche is still trying to save weight.

These cars definitely will be easier to modify with the turbos but I do not believe that will equate to more satisfying.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be happy if they brought back the CSL or something like it. Something to compete with the GT3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I'd be happy if they brought back the CSL or something like it. Something to compete with the GT3.
    Well, they did produce the GTS to do exactly that but it will not be brought to the USA.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I mean something that would be sold in the US. Doesn't do much for me if I couldn't have one without changing my residency.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Yeah, I mean something that would be sold in the US. Doesn't do much for me if I couldn't have one without changing my residency.
    You are absolutely right, I wrote a letter to BMW telling that if they produced it to bring it to the USA... they didn't listen. We get lowering springs instead Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure how the largest market couldn't support a limited run in the US. Perhaps not worth the cost of making it legal here. I don't know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Not sure how the largest market couldn't support a limited run in the US. Perhaps not worth the cost of making it legal here. I don't know.
    It would definitely sell it was just a matter of those sales not outweighing the cost of federalizing it.

BMW could have used the loophole that allows for a chassis to be sold without motor as a kit car and just assembled the motors here. If they really wanted to do it and make money on it, they could have.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

This cars are going to get really fast real quick
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Are bigger turbos really the only difference between the N63 and the S63?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

can someone tell me something about the turbos on the N63 vs S63.

Like what AR is the exhaust housing of each. impeller diameter, turbine diameter, manifold pictures etc??
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

the other thing is that unlike the regular N motors that have each bank feeding one turbo (left bank feeds left turbo, right bank feeds right turbo), BMW decided to split the turbos and make them twin scroll, with 2 cylinders from the right and 2 cylinders from the left feeding one turbo, and the same way for the other turbo. This maze of manifold runners allows it to spool faster and be more efficient, while cramming 22psi worth of air into the cylinders.

If someone was able to just bolt on the S manifolds and turbos, you could see a significant gain right there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

I'm not sure about RacingDynamics HP gain but atleast it sounds freaking awesome

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
    Are bigger turbos really the only difference between the N63 and the S63?
    No, the compression ratio is different as well.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    If someone was able to just bolt on the S manifolds and turbos, you could see a significant gain right there.
    Would be interesting to see if it was that simple... in theory it should work.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    can someone tell me something about the turbos on the N63 vs S63.

Like what AR is the exhaust housing of each. impeller diameter, turbine diameter, manifold pictures etc??
    I had a really good internal BMW document that answered some of these questions, I'm trying to find it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I hate all this turbo talkClick here to enlarge. The future of modding BMW's is getting better every day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast