Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I did get it just not installed yet..

In terms of other cheaper solutions i guess its always a possibility but i doubt the bushings on their own will fix it and i personally wasn't too eager to test and break another pinion
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    I did get it just not installed yet..

In terms of other cheaper solutions i guess its always a possibility but i doubt the bushings on their own will fix it and i personally wasn't too eager to test and break another pinion
    Hence my comment about a $30 u-joint. I feel ya though, it should just work. These are BMWs though, there is always something that fails catastrophically.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FML! I might just get a stock diff and a used driveshaft. I just need the least amount of downtime.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    FML! I might just get a stock diff and a used driveshaft. I just need the least amount of downtime.
    If you are able to harvest your quaife LSD, and it will fit an early E90 (bolted), just give me a PM for a quick sale!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Ya. Looks interesting. I wonder if there is a less costly solution though. Not that the kit isn't worth what it is worth - for all that machining it is - I just can't afford it. Maybe in the future a well designed urethane upgrade will be good enough.
    urethane does not work...tried that during the R&D process when i was designing the kit. It actually just increases the frequency of the hop to a "violent chatter",fyi. You'd be wasting your money and time, I'm not playing the salesman, just recounting personal experience.
    Violent lateral movement of the nose of the diff will reap havoc upon the input shaft and collar nut, It's an odd design in the grand scheme of things, It's lifespan will certainly increase if movement is controlled, what factory bushings allow that differential to do back there is frightening...If any notable power is applied, breakage is imminent. The only solution is to support it properly and control movement. OP, do you have a pic of the front of the diff post breakage? reason i ask is that it appears to be the cv joint in the driveshaft that let go, hard to tell from picture. My first step would be to remove the collar nut?broken part of the d/s and inspect the input shaft before worrying about replacement of the whole thing...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes. I will be having a shop take out the diff today if their quote is reasonable. How many hours do you think should they quote me for removing the drive shaft and diff? Just removing the parts.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rick@defiv Click here to enlarge
    urethane does not work...tried that during the R&D process when i was designing the kit. It actually just increases the frequency of the hop to a "violent chatter",fyi. You'd be wasting your money and time, I'm not playing the salesman, just recounting personal experience.
    Violent lateral movement of the nose of the diff will reap havoc upon the input shaft and collar nut, It's an odd design in the grand scheme of things, It's lifespan will certainly increase if movement is controlled, what factory bushings allow that differential to do back there is frightening...If any notable power is applied, breakage is imminent. The only solution is to support it properly and control movement. OP, do you have a pic of the front of the diff post breakage? reason i ask is that it appears to be the cv joint in the driveshaft that let go, hard to tell from picture. My first step would be to remove the collar nut?broken part of the d/s and inspect the input shaft before worrying about replacement of the whole thing...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Feel for you buddy, mine went in the same place as yours although the driveshaft didnt fall off the diff input shaft like yours:

Click here to enlarge

I fitted an m3 diff as I had already purchased it due to having a welded crownwheel in my diff. I'm just waiting for Rick to come out with this m3 diff lockdown kit to prevent this happening again. I already have aluminium diff bushes on mine but like Dzenno I want to address the issue at hand.

@blisstik, would have thought an experienced shop could easily do it in 3 or 4 hours.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Member BoostAddict was able to fab a diff brace for me to prevent the diff and driveshaft from breaking again. It reduces wheel whop and protects the diff from moving due to wheel hop

Click here to enlarge

Under soft - mid launches I get no wheel hop. Hard launches my wheels will spin or I will get some sort of wheel hop but its minimal and felt directly to rear wheels rather than "right up under my seat"

Very affordable setup a fast and safe remedy to protect your diff and driveshaft on this platform

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    Member @BoostAddict was able to fab a diff brace for me to prevent the diff and driveshaft from breaking again. It reduces wheel whop and protects the diff from moving due to wheel hop

Click here to enlarge

Under soft - mid launches I get no wheel hop. Hard launches my wheels will spin or I will get some sort of wheel hop but its minimal and felt directly to rear wheels rather than "right up under my seat"

Very affordable setup a fast and safe remedy to protect your diff and driveshaft on this platform
    In that case it doesn't work though. It needs to eliminate wheel hop under all circumstances. If you get wheel spin that's fine but any wheel hop at all regardless of how you launch is to me totally unacceptable. It'll end up breaking things again with more torque to the ground and harder launches on stickier surfaces Maybe you're missing solid diff bushings to completely eliminate it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes. I will be having a shop take out the diff today if their quote is reasonable. How many hours do you think should they quote me for removing the drive shaft and diff? Just removing the parts.
    factory labor time to replace the differential carrier is 4.3 hours, so 2 hours give or take to get it out seems like a reasonable quote.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    In that case it doesn't work though. It needs to eliminate wheel hop under all circumstances. If you get wheel spin that's fine but any wheel hop at all regardless of how you launch is to me totally unacceptable. It'll end up breaking things again with more torque to the ground and harder launches on stickier surfaces Maybe you're missing solid diff bushings to completely eliminate it.
    agreed.that thing is kinda gangsta looking lol, I guess it would work provided it had solid bushes, I certainly wouldn't wanna put a bunch of power to it though, slicks would probably blow that thing off the back of the car lol...and yeah, If you get hop on hard launches that doesn't constitute it as "fixed". If there was a cheaper way to fix the problem that met my standards I'd be selling it...In the "big picture" one must ask themselves what costs less, repeated busted parts or a one shot fix with a money-back guarantee....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Quick update: shop says the input shaft and diff is fine, however the VAC aluminum cover top mount is broken, which may have actually saved the input shaft (speculation). So I need a new drive shaft, diff cover (going with stock) and the Defiv kit.

Rick: PM me bro! I'd like to get on that special.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rick@defiv Click here to enlarge
    agreed.that thing is kinda gangsta looking lol, I guess it would work provided it had solid bushes, I certainly wouldn't wanna put a bunch of power to it though, slicks would probably blow that thing off the back of the car lol...and yeah, If you get hop on hard launches that doesn't constitute it as "fixed". If there was a cheaper way to fix the problem that met my standards I'd be selling it...In the "big picture" one must ask themselves what costs less, repeated busted parts or a one shot fix with a money-back guarantee....
    It was only intended to reduce wheel hop and to secure the diff, not a fix for wheel hop. Its best to have some sort of preventive messures rather than none at all.

@rick@defiv I am sure if it was as simple as that you would have already done this. The product that you offer is an actual fix to perminantly get rid of wheel hop and secure the diff which I am soon to follow with. Just not ready at this time as I am waiting for more feedback on it expecially with that type of price tag on it

Also, I have no intentions of running my car on DRs or Slick ever. As I am on the track is the same off the track. That is why I sought a temporary remedy until I got the DEVIF setup.

Oh yeah about the gangsta comment; wWAaazZZzAAaP ! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It was only intended to reduce wheel hop and to secure the diff, not a fix for wheel hop. Its best to have some sort of preventive messures rather than none at all.

@rick@defiv I am sure if it was as simple as that you would have already done this. The product that you offer is an actual fix to perminantly get rid of wheel hop and secure the diff which I am soon to follow with. Just not ready at this time as I am waiting for more feedback on it expecially with that type of price tag on it

Also, I have no intentions of running my car on DRs or Slick ever. As I am on the track is the same off the track. That is why I sought a temporary remedy until I got the DEVIF setup.

Oh yeah about the gangsta comment; wWAaazZZzAAaP ! Click here to enlarge
    LOL! It's held at the introductory price until the 31rst...$50 isn't a ton off,but it's somethingClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll have it installed by end of next week. I won't be motivated to test it out tho, at least not right away after getting my left nut cut off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I run around town on my DRs. Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'll have it installed by end of next week. I won't be motivated to test it out tho, at least not right away after getting my left nut cut off.
    So, will you, or won't you be selling the quaife? Sorry for pestering you bro, but I am looking for a cheaper option, than buying a new LSD next year. I need the bolted kind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, the LSD is fine upon closer inspection except the VAC aluminum cover bolt mount snapped off. So I'm back to stock cover with the Defiv fix.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    So, will you, or won't you be selling the quaife? Sorry for pestering you bro, but I am looking for a cheaper option, than buying a new LSD next year. I need the bolted kind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update: pics of the VAC diff cover. I have emailed them asking for a replacement. I hope they do replace it. We'll see.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I rev match occasionally but not that time, I just shifted.
    Hmm, I'm thinking the lack of a rev match might have contributed to the breakage. I've developed a habit of always rev matching when downshifting because A. it sounds cool and B. it's smoother.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Wow dude that's bull$#@!. It looks like something that needs to be resolved with a design revision. I hope VAC steps up and does the right thing here.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Wow dude that's bull$#@!. It looks like something that needs to be resolved with a design revision. I hope VAC steps up and does the right thing here.
    What do you mean? Design it to be able to withstand hundreds of lbs of torque being unleashed on it by a broken rear axle?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    What do you mean? Design it to be able to withstand hundreds of lbs of torque being unleashed on it by a broken rear axle?
    Well said.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge So, according to OP the driveshaft broke... I don't see that as causing 'additional stress' on the diff cover, I suppose then you could argue it was due to the wheel-hop, there are lots of cars with the same driveshaft issue that had bad wheelhop and didn't bust their diff cover.

Maybe I'm missing something in the physics here. I don't even know what broke first, what if the ear gave way first and contributed to the nuking of the driveshaft? Developing stress fractures over time leading to OPs strange failure circumstance (between shifts & not off the line.)

At the end of the day the cover -should- be able to withstand a massive amount of torque, it should be over-engineered especially given that we're putting more and more power through these things.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was just thinking about this. I don't know which actually broke first. It's possible that either scenario will cause the same result.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge So, according to OP the driveshaft broke... I don't see that as causing 'additional stress' on the diff cover, I suppose then you could argue it was due to the wheel-hop, there are lots of cars with the same driveshaft issue that had bad wheelhop and didn't bust their diff cover.

Maybe I'm missing something in the physics here. I don't even know what broke first, what if the ear gave way first and contributed to the nuking of the driveshaft? Developing stress fractures over time leading to OPs strange failure circumstance (between shifts & not off the line.)

At the end of the day the cover -should- be able to withstand a massive amount of torque, it should be over-engineered especially given that we're putting more and more power through these things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast