Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blisstik Click here to enlarge
    I was just thinking about this. I don't know which actually broke first. It's possible that either scenario will cause the same result.
    I don't think so. Diff cover has to break first then the diff moves and causes a severe misalignment. I cant see the shaft breaking and then having the diff do anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

It's difficult to prove because there have been drive shaft issues even with stock diff cover. If that were the case, I could ask VAC for reimbursement of repair costs but I know that they will deny deny deny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I don't think so. Diff cover has to break first then the diff moves and causes a severe misalignment. I cant see the shaft breaking and then having the diff do anything.
    Yep; @Sticky / @nafoo is there something else going on here that we're missing?
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

It's difficult to prove because there have been drive shaft issues even with stock diff cover. If that were the case, I could ask VAC for reimbursement of repair costs but I know that they will deny deny deny.
    Have there been any cases of the stock cover breaking?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I'm not sure but BuraQ actually had an entire pumpkin changed. I think dzenno as well. Every case is unique tho but if I were trying to prove the cover came first, I'd have to hire some CSI type folks and carbon date the pieces. LOL, of course I'm BSing here.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Have there been any cases of the stock cover breaking?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

The diff housing would be almost completely unloaded if the shaft broke first. There would be no force to break the housing. It makes much more sense for the shock of the downshift to cause the housing to break which caused the shaft to be damaged.

Regardless, this is my opinion, though an educated one. I hope you get the car back on the road soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I don't think it will be that serious. The case should not crack period. It doesn't make any sense that the driveshaft breaking would snap a case. Its the other way around. If the case snaps, the angle will surely wreak havoc with the driveshaft. If anything I would be more worried about getting cover+driveshaft money back. Explain that the cover can't crack if the driveshaft isn't attached, if they don't see it that way, let the public know. How big of a market is there for overpriced diff covers that crack? Obviously put your best foot forward and be friendly/reasonable about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I don't think it will be that serious. The case should not crack period. It doesn't make any sense that the driveshaft breaking would snap a case. Its the other way around. If the case snaps, the angle will surely wreak havoc with the driveshaft. If anything I would be more worried about getting cover+driveshaft money back. Explain that the cover can't crack if the driveshaft isn't attached, if they don't see it that way, let the public know. How big of a market is there for overpriced diff covers that crack? Obviously put your best foot forward and be friendly/reasonable about it.
    couldn't have said it better myself. all the clues exist in the broken pieces...basic chicken/egg argument lol...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I run around town on my DRs. Click here to enlarge
    all the mustangs and trans am's do it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Yep; @Sticky / @nafoo is there something else going on here that we're missing?
    I don't think so but I mean do we expect a diff cover to be able to withstand whatever stress is thrown at it from any which way?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't think so but I mean do we expect a diff cover to be able to withstand whatever stress is thrown at it from any which way?
    Absolutely not; but this diff didn't experience any force it wasn't meant to handle. (Like a crash, or hitting something on the road.)
    Perhaps the argument can be made that @blisstik was such a prolific launcher (was he?) that he wheel-hopped tiny stress fractures into his diff cover, a feat that nobody has published among the OEM cover broken driveshaft/cv crowd, and then those stress fractures let the ear go and the diff rotated out and nuked the driveshaft.

Even if my diff cover saw all day insane ridiculous launches it should be engineered to withstand those forces, that's its primary job. I expect that to be even more true when dealing with a shop that has a reputation to performance like VAC.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Absolutely not; but this diff didn't experience any force it wasn't meant to handle. (Like a crash, or hitting something on the road.)
    Perhaps the argument can be made that @blisstik was such a prolific launcher (was he?) that he wheel-hopped tiny stress fractures into his diff cover, a feat that nobody has published among the OEM cover broken driveshaft/cv crowd, and then those stress fractures let the ear go and the diff rotated out and nuked the driveshaft.

Even if my diff cover saw all day insane ridiculous launches it should be engineered to withstand those forces, that's its primary job. I expect that to be even more true when dealing with a shop that has a reputation to performance like VAC.
    Let's see what VAC says.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

If you're going to charge as much as they do for a diff cover, it should be a non-issue. I don't know why anyone buys these covers anyway (at those prices). If you really are getting excessive temps just tap the stock over and run an external cooler...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

I'm sorry, I was mistakenly thinking that the rear axle was what broke. I thought the left rear axle broke off and hit the differential cover.

After looking more closely, it appears the VAC differential cover broke where it attaches to the car. After looking at the differential cover:

Click here to enlarge

it looks like where it broke is the the weakest structural point on the differential cover.

In my opinion, a 3rd gear to 2nd gear downshift doesn't generate enough power to snap a drive shaft. It seems more logical that the differential cover broke first causing the drive shaft to move in all sorts of ways.

Hope VAC takes care of you since it seems like a design defect.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I thought the left rear axle broke off and hit the differential cover.
    I was thinking the the cover was acted upon externally but I'm not sure if we should jump to defect. Parts break, let's see what VAC does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I was thinking the the cover was acted upon externally but I'm not sure if we should jump to defect. Parts break, let's see what VAC does.
    Yeah, that's what I thought at first too. But seeing how the rear axle didn't break, I can't think of anything else on the car hitting that part. Unless it was something on the road that the differential got caught on, but I'd guess there would be damage on the bottom of the differential as well.

Who knows, maybe the bolt was overly-tightened? Either way, considering VAC's great reputation, I'm sure they will take care of this no problem.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Photo from the shop. I'm guessing the scrapes happened after the cover gave out since its at that edge. There are no scrapes at the bottom piece at all. Just imagine the diff was in a 45 degree angle.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge
    Got the Defiv lockdown kit. This thing is SOLID!

Click here to enlarge
    Does this look like a Quaife?

Click here to enlarge
    New vs Broken Driveshaft

Click here to enlarge
    VAC Diff Cover 1/4

Click here to enlarge
    VAC Diff Cover 2/4

Click here to enlarge
    VAC Diff Cover 3/4

Click here to enlarge
    VAC Diff Cover 4/4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Got the Defiv lockdown kit. This thing is SOLID!
    Looking good!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I think the diff cover should have been machined out of steel, not aluminium. Yes, aluminium is lighter and does not rust, but in it has about 1/3 the tensile strength of steel.

Putting an external diff cooling is beginning to look more appealing now. I'd rather save a few hundred bucks from the diff cover and get devif lock down kit and external diff cooler with a pump.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123