Close

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    You should definitely do that. I only recall people flaming you for your childish "I've got a secret and I won't tell" attitude and then claiming you had a fix when you hadn't tested it yet.
    That wasn't me, but OK.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    That wasn't me, but OK.
    Sorry, was confusing you for your friend. My bad! Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by B///MW Click here to enlarge
    Yes Sir. I replaced everything and I always have a cylinder 5 and 6 misfire in 3rd gear at 6300rpm. I have this issue only when going beyond 450whp. I have a 6MT. I'm sure it's the same issue.
    Interesting. Mine was always cylinder 4 and 6. Same with the 3rd guy. I think tmo also only had 4 and 6.

It does sound like the same thing we experienced though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad to hear it! Nice work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    I only recall people flaming you for your childish "I've got a secret and I won't tell" attitude and then claiming you had a fix when you hadn't tested it yet.
    Ummm that wasn't him. That was another guy.

Edit: Saw you apologized.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What does exactly cause this high rpm misfires? Yes, it really seems to be the DMFW but why does a flywheel cause misfires? Will I have any transmission problems when I disable the misfire detection and still use the OEM DMFW?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by B///MW Click here to enlarge
    What does exactly cause this high rpm misfires? Yes, it really seems to be the DMFW but why does a flywheel cause misfires? Will I have any transmission problems when I disable the misfire detection and still use the OEM DMFW?
    The answers are in the other thread...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, I was too slow with the edit and now look like an ass =(
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Every once in a while one of the well known tuners will go out of their way to make senseless comments and start bs. There are no serious issues from disabling misfire detection period. Its an emissions agorithm which really should just register a code and/or CEL but due to emissions standards BMW also on top of it cuts fuel to the bank which is why this issue ends up being as serious as it does. I still feel the true fix is software based with the misfire algorithm adjusted accordingly for higher hp/rpm noise levels but that fix is certainly much harder to do than it is to change out a flywheel. I just hate the chatter single mass flywheels bring along so until my current clutch setup goes i'll end up running with just misfire detection off as i've done for the last year or more probably with more runs at WOT and beating than most N54s out there, on/off dragstrip and dyno

In any case as i'd already said huge thumbs up to you guys for solving this issue. This should be front page news tbh Click here to enlarge its not always about peak numbers!
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 12-26-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad it worked! The flywheel seemed like a long shot on the misfire detection to me but ditching rotating weight is always great for traps. 130mph+ or bust it trying! Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad to see this phantom misfiring has finally been solved. Now it's living with the constant chatter vs misfire detection off. Personally I'd try raising the idle a bit with INPA to see if the chatter can be toned down.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Glad to see this phantom misfiring has finally been solved. Now it's living with the constant chatter vs misfire detection off. Personally I'd try raising the idle a bit with INPA to see if the chatter can be toned down.
    Or use the steel flywheel instead of aluminum. I am installing mine on the 3rd. Unfortunately Spec didn't ship until the 21st. Between then and the 3rd there aren't more than 6 business days since its the holidays. Basically I got screwed by UPS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Or use the steel flywheel instead of aluminum. I am installing mine on the 3rd. Unfortunately Spec didn't ship until the 21st. Between then and the 3rd there aren't more than 6 business days since its the holidays. Basically I got screwed by UPS.
    Nice. I'd appreciate it if you could post a video of the any chatter you get for comparison. Maybe I'll switch mine down the road.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    Nice. I'd appreciate it if you could post a video of the any chatter you get for comparison. Maybe I'll switch mine down the road.
    Definitely. I had wastegate rattle and couldn't stand it until I fixed it. I hate rattles!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great news! Can't wait to see your track results.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great. I'd like to see if the DMFW could be improved to the point that it's not an issue for the people who would like to continue running it. Perhaps stronger springs in the final (2nd?) stage to keep it in the working zone at high torque levels rather than against the hard stop.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Congrats to you & the other guys for your efforts on the misfire isuues. Hope your day at the drags goes well & you see some 10's.Click here to enlarge
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Every once in a while one of the well known tuners will go out of their way to make senseless comments and start bs. There are no serious issues from disabling misfire detection period. Its an emissions agorithm which really should just register a code and/or CEL but due to emissions standards BMW also on top of it cuts fuel to the bank which is why this issue ends up being as serious as it does. I still feel the true fix is software based with the misfire algorithm adjusted accordingly for higher hp/rpm noise levels but that fix is certainly much harder to do than it is to change out a flywheel. I just hate the chatter single mass flywheels bring along so until my current clutch setup goes i'll end up running with just misfire detection off as i've done for the last year or more probably with more runs at WOT and beating than most N54s out there, on/off dragstrip and dyno

In any case as i'd already said huge thumbs up to you guys for solving this issue. This should be front page news tbh Click here to enlarge its not always about peak numbers!
    I also don't want chatter. Have you done a compression test lately? What fuel/meth are you running?
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You get used to just holding in the clutch at stop lights and such. It took me a while, but it doesn't really bother me nearly as much as it used to.
    335xi (sold)
    www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive datalogs

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    "whats the noise" will be a common question... and good luck at bank ATMs and drive throughs where it echos off bricks or cement... def worth being able to redline your car though ! lol
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think it's been asked but has anyone figured out exactly what the nature of the issue is? It must be loading/unloading the crankshaft lightly at higher power levels causing the misfire detection? Is this from it riding the "bump stop" or the opposite where the floating in the springs causes it?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jpsimon Click here to enlarge
    You get used to just holding in the clutch at stop lights and such. It took me a while, but it doesn't really bother me nearly as much as it used to.
    Is your flywheel steel or aluminum?
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    "def worth being able to redline your car though ! lol
    My thoughts exactly. I will definitely need to get used to the chatter. I can't say that I'm fond of it. But...there was a lot of power left on the table having to short shift. Those last 8-900 rpm is where the car shines.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I do this already personally, but I know a lot of other people don't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I do this already personally, but I know a lot of other people don't.

Holding your clutch in at a light is prolly the worst thing you can do for it...it puts pressure on the fingers and puts added stress to the throwout bearing, which will just wear it out sooner, and it would be a joyous occasion to have to go back into the bellhousing to replace a $60 part because you couldnt deal with some noise.

I dont get what is so bad about the noise. Ive driven many a Porsche 911 and several GTRs that rattled at idle..I think its the most badass thing when it sounds like you got rocks banging around in the transmission...but then again I eat/sleep/breath road racing so whiney gearboxes/clutch rattles dont bother me. neither do squeaky brakes.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast