Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

4 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

stock DMFW = misfires on high HP N54s

I got my new Spec 2+ clutch and Aluminum lightweight flywheel installed a couple days ago, hoping it would resolve this misfire issue.

I needed a new clutch anyway (ACT was dragging), so I figured what the hell.

I put a solid 300 miles of stop and go driving on it the last 2 days. I wanted to wait it out longer, but curiosity got the best of me.

Decided to go WOT in 3rd. THE CAR IS A BEAST TO REDLINE!!!

No misfire, tach flew to 7200rpm. I did 3 pulls, all of them confirmed that the new single mass flywheel RESOLVED THE MISFIRE PROBLEM.

I feel like I should quote all the people on the last thread that laughed at the idea, said no way it would work, and said it was hilarious and "good reading". Well, apparently, you might not be as smart as you thought you were.

I hope this helps everyone else. I'm sure DZENNO can appreciate putting this long, stubborn issue to bed and it now AK335 can dodge this problem in his build. I bet all the flywheel makers are going to love this post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

You and tmo are my heros! Click here to enlarge great work guys! This was a nasty one
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    I got my new Spec 2+ clutch and Aluminum lightweight flywheel installed a couple days ago, hoping it would resolve this misfire issue.

I needed a new clutch anyway (ACT was dragging), so I figured what the hell.

I put a solid 300 miles of stop and go driving on it the last 2 days. I wanted to wait it out longer, but curiosity got the best of me.

Decided to go WOT in 3rd. THE CAR IS A BEAST TO REDLINE!!!

No misfire, tach flew to 7200rpm. I did 3 pulls, all of them confirmed that the new single mass flywheel RESOLVED THE MISFIRE PROBLEM.

I feel like I should quote all the people on the last thread that laughed at the idea, said no way it would work, and said it was hilarious and "good reading". Well, apparently, you might not be as smart as you thought you were.

I hope this helps everyone else. I'm sure DZENNO can appreciate putting this long, stubborn issue to bed and it now AK335 can dodge this problem in his build. I bet all the flywheel makers are going to love this post.
    Awesome! Glad that fixed the issue. I am still surprised people are trying to run the DMFW over 600whp anyway. It just doesn't make sense regardless of misfires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I plan on putting another 200 stop and go miles on the clutch before the weekend.

I am most likely doing a private track rental here in Orlando on Sunday. There should only be about 5 cars, so I'll get plenty of passes.

Also, 60-130 times will come after i finish break in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    pt6466 FFTEC 335i
    gtx3076r FFTEC Evo IX

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thank you for planning on taking it to the strip so we could see some independent results! Props!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Glad to hear it, man.

Any plans to go to the next PBIR track rental? Would love to see how it does in person when running at 100%.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Have you done your pulls starting below 3500rpm? I could get my car not to do it if pulls were started above about 3500-4000rpm.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    I plan on putting another 200 stop and go miles on the clutch before the weekend.

I am most likely doing a private track rental here in Orlando on Sunday. There should only be about 5 cars, so I'll get plenty of passes.

Also, 60-130 times will come after i finish break in.
    oh, good. cant wait to see the results. ho much boost have you pushed so far if your still on the break-in?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    Glad to hear it, man.

Any plans to go to the next PBIR track rental? Would love to see how it does in person when running at 100%.
    I'm 50/50 going to that event. If it doesn't interfere with anything, then I'll be going. I'll know closer to that time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Have you done your pulls starting below 3500rpm? I could get my car not to do it if pulls were started above about 3500-4000rpm.
    No, started them a little below 4000rpm. I didn't want to lug it that much on a new clutch, but before I'd misfire almost no matter where I started in the pull as long as it was in 3rd or 4th.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    oh, good. cant wait to see the results. ho much boost have you pushed so far if your still on the break-in?
    Did the 3 pulls at 23 psi. Same psi I was running before at WOT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    also, this sounds a lot like the 3rd guy's car. His car sometimes wouldn't do it if started high in the rpm band. He also has the newest DMFW out of all of us, kind of like how yours was new.

Mine was the oldest, and misfire 100% of the time. I'm wondering if as the springs get worn out, they cause more interference, or more readily cause inteference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

sweet nice work!
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

I'll wait for more of your testing though as this annoying issue has come back for me on a few occasions a day or two later after i'd thought it was fixed...really hope you guys did indeed nuke it

Is your rear end a 3.08 or 3.46?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I'll wait for more of your testing though as this annoying issue has come back for me on a few occasions a day or two later after i'd thought it was fixed...really hope you guys did indeed nuke it
    Understandable. When I do get a chance to put it through a little more rigorous testing, I will confirm in the thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

3.08, plus 26" tall DRs. So 3rd goes up to ~114mph with 7200 redline.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Ok cool
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Glad you got the misfires resolved!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Awesome! Can't wait to see your 1/4 mile times and 60-130

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Crossing fingers for long term results...but if they prove to be long term...mega thumbs up to you and tmo. If this does work, you and tmo both deserve some serious hat eating from a bunch of people...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I also have high rpm misfires. I just bought a brand new OEM DMFW since I want to swap my clutch in two weeks. Should I try to sell this flywheel or can I use this aswell and just disable misfire detection with my Cobb? In other words: Will I damage my transmission if I disable misfire detection? Since I datalog my car very often detecting real misfires wouldn't be a problem. I just do not want to have a SMFW.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by B///MW Click here to enlarge
    I also have high rpm misfires. I just bought a brand new OEM DMFW since I want to swap my clutch in two weeks. Should I try to sell this flywheel or can I use this aswell and just disable misfire detection with my Cobb? In other words: Will I damage my transmission if I disable misfire detection? Since I datalog my car very often detecting real misfires wouldn't be a problem. I just do not want to have a SMFW.
    Have you confirmed it's the same type of problem that we were experiencing? The car can misfire for lots of other reasons too. I know, I've dealt with misfires many, many, many times. (I think I've had about 20 injectors in my car).

Our misfire was at WOT, usually 3rd gear or higher, and ALWAYS at ~6500 rpm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you confirmed it's the same type of problem that we were experiencing? The car can misfire for lots of other reasons too. I know, I've dealt with misfires many, many, many times. (I think I've had about 20 injectors in my car).

Our misfire was at WOT, usually 3rd gear or higher, and ALWAYS at ~6500 rpm.
    Yes Sir. I replaced everything and I always have a cylinder 5 and 6 misfire in 3rd gear at 6300rpm. I have this issue only when going beyond 450whp. I have a 6MT. I'm sure it's the same issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

You should definitely do that. I only recall people flaming you for your childish "I've got a secret and I won't tell" attitude and then claiming you had a fix when you hadn't tested it yet.

I'm glad this was the fix that a lot of people have been looking for, but it would have been cooler if you approached it less child-like.

Still, props to @Carl Morris for throwing the idea out there and @GeorgiaTech335Coupe for running with it.

I can't wait until my car needs to fix this problem as well Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast