Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New clutch/FW slipping already??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

New clutch/FW slipping already??

Just replaced OEM clutch and FW at 44k due to slipping after running Cobb Stage 2 for about 2k...for various reasons went with Clutchmasters FX350 and Luk FW...I'm at the tail end of the break-end period (400 miles, half being highway though) and have been shifting at or before 3000-3500 rpm and def no WOT pulls. While passing on the highway recently the clutch slipped starting at about 3000 rpms!! Thought this was strange as it felt worse than the slipping I had before...once off the highway I did one 3rd gear pull just to see what was going on...not even close to WOT, and it did it again. Is this normal during the break-in period?? Would I have caused this??
    Click here to enlarge

PTF Pro Tuned l BMS DCI l DP l ETS 5" Intercooler
    HAT L4SE Carbon l HAT L1V2 l Jehnert XE200 l Arc Audio Arc 12 l Arc Minis l Audison bit Ten

2. #ADS

dzenno@PTF is offline Supporting Vendor

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)

I suggest getting in touch first with the shop that installed it and have them look at it. After that get in touch with ClutchMasters. Something is definitely off and unless you didn't follow the break-in instructions properly it can be either install related or a defective clutch unit.
    Click here to enlargeCobb ProTune & eTune Services
    Contact us on the Web, Blog, Facebook, Twitter
    Google Talk: dzenno@protuningfreaks.com

N54 6MT TwinTurbo 1/4 Mile World Record: 11.43@126.6mph, 1.8 60', Stock 6MT 3.08 Gearing (Cayuga - Toronto Motorsports Park)
    N54 6MT TwinTurbo 60-130mph World Record: 6.5sec 100-200km/hr, 7.5sec 60-130mph (vbox verified)
    N54 DCT World Record (Race Gas + Meth + SSP Clutches), Stock Turbos: 450WHP / 490WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 573WHP / 537WTQ
    N54 (96-98 octane, no meth) World Record,
    Stock Motor: 673WHP / 564WTQ
    N54 (ERC 109 unleaded octane and meth) World Record, Stock Motor:
    725WHP / 609WTQ
    Contact us today for our forum promotions on our COBB PRO Tunes and offerings from ar design, Aquamist, AMS Performance, COBB, cp-e, Evolution Racewerks,
    ETS, HELIX, Howerton Engineering, KW Suspensions, P3 Cars, ST Suspensions, SPEC

Itsbrokeagain is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

Is this the kevlar disc setup?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)

I think he means FX300...there's no 350 for this car...the only "50" clutch for the N54 is the FX850 (twin disk)

N54 6MT TwinTurbo 1/4 Mile World Record: 11.43@126.6mph, 1.8 60', Stock 6MT 3.08 Gearing (Cayuga - Toronto Motorsports Park)
    N54 6MT TwinTurbo 60-130mph World Record: 6.5sec 100-200km/hr, 7.5sec 60-130mph (vbox verified)
    N54 DCT World Record (Race Gas + Meth + SSP Clutches), Stock Turbos: 450WHP / 490WTQ
    725WHP / 609WTQ
    Contact us today for our forum promotions on our COBB PRO Tunes and offerings from ar design, Aquamist, AMS Performance, COBB, cp-e, Evolution Racewerks,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks dzenno...yeah, the shop is closed today for the holidays, but wanted to get community feedback as well...reading a lot on the break in of kevlar clutches and what to expect, seems they are pretty finicky during the first 1000 miles with some slipping but holding/working properly after more mileage...last clutch in a diff car was an ACT and was totally different material and experience. just hoping to get some more info from a fellow N54'er that has experience with set up..
    Click here to enlarge

HAT L4SE Carbon l HAT L1V2 l Jehnert XE200 l Arc Audio Arc 12 l Arc Minis l Audison bit Ten

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

says on invoice from shop "FX350"...are you sure there is no 50 for N54s?? the shop is pretty reputable and known for their work on BMWs, Audi's, VWs..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cadillacgrills Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    says on invoice from shop "FX350"...are you sure there is no 50 for N54s?? the shop is pretty reputable and known for their work on BMWs, Audi's, VWs..
    I'm pretty sure...the only 50 is the 850 twin disk unless they just released something new

725WHP / 609WTQ

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

funny...just called them and inquired about the FX350 on the N54...guy says yes but acting real shifty (pun intended)...then asks me where I heard about it...told him i noticed it for other cars and wanted to know if it's available for N54...tells me to hold and been on hold for 2 mins and counting...
    according to clutch masters...if you order the FX300 from them you will get the FX350 (for the N54), their reasoning is that our cars do not react well to the kevlar of the 300, the 350 includes their "fibertuff" material...which tells me there is something def wrong in my scenario.
    Last edited by cadillacgrills; 12-26-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

bigdnno98 is online now Building a 10sec DSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Never was a fan of clutchmaster Click here to enlarge hope this works out for you.
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: Startup Teaser http://youtu.be/hwBLSSlkKtY

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks bigdnno98, was up in the air about clutch options for a few weeks after all the research and forum reading. in the end relied on a local shop since they do a lot of this work on our cars. hoping they will have some answers tomorrow. frustrating after all the effort/time/$$
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

FWIW, I really loved my Spec stage 3+ clutch but if you're not looking for massive power, the ACT HDSD has gotten great reviews too.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah, I had an ACT street on my previous car and loved it, literally hammered it from day one...the only thing I didn't like was the super low engagement point and stiffness...was hoping to get away from that by using an alternative.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

yup that's the only bad thing i heard about ACT was engagement point. The Spec engagement is actually a tiny bit higher than stock. it's pretty awesome. I wouldn't recommend the LWFW though as it is VERY loud and chattery.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

went ahead and replaced the flywheel with OEM (Luk) at the same time...is it possible this may be causing an issue either thru defect or install?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

what is the Luk FW?

Click here to enlarge

undercoverangie is offline Supporting Vendor

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Just replaced OEM clutch and FW at 44k due to slipping after running Cobb Stage 2 for about 2k...for various reasons went with Clutchmasters FX350 and Luk FW...I'm at the tail end of the break-end period (400 miles, half being highway though) and have been shifting at or before 3000-3500 rpm and def no WOT pulls. While passing on the highway recently the clutch slipped starting at about 3000 rpms!! Thought this was strange as it felt worse than the slipping I had before...once off the highway I did one 3rd gear pull just to see what was going on...not even close to WOT, and it did it again. Is this normal during the break-in period?? Would I have caused this??
    Incorrect FW Step height possibly
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Luk is the company that makes the flywheel
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Luk is the company that makes the flywheel
    Ah, I see. I'm definately not the person to comment on any type of installation recommendations on a clutch or flywheel LOL.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@undercoverangie, would incorrect FW step height cause the slipping clutch symptoms?? It literally feels like the exact same scenario i had before replacing FW and clutch...i also get a lot of "juddering" in 1st and reverse that has gotten better after 300 miles but it's still there...is this typical of step height issues?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

i had shuddering on my Spec for almost 800 miles. i took the car to the strip at 1000 miles and after 6 launches, the shuddering was completely gone.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

@undercoverangie , would incorrect FW step height cause the slipping clutch symptoms?? It literally feels like the exact same scenario i had before replacing FW and clutch...i also get a lot of "juddering" in 1st and reverse that has gotten better after 300 miles but it's still there...is this typical of step height issues?
    With these problems you really won't know what's happening until you drop the transmission.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

@undercoverangie , would incorrect FW step height cause the slipping clutch symptoms?? It literally feels like the exact same scenario i had before replacing FW and clutch...i also get a lot of "juddering" in 1st and reverse that has gotten better after 300 miles but it's still there...is this typical of step height issues?
    Shuttering is normal. The slippage could be caused by step height. Unless your leaking trans fluid on the disk. Either could give identical symptoms
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks all! I'm assuming step height shouldn't be an issue with a brand new OEM FW (not re-surfaced) and clutch built to N54 specs..but at least have a few more questions to ask tomorrow when I can get back to the shop that did the install...I'll update post with the resolution, especially if it turns out to be an equipment/parts issue.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

thanks all! I'm assuming step height shouldn't be an issue with a brand new OEM FW (not re-surfaced) and clutch built to N54 specs..but at least have a few more questions to ask tomorrow when I can get back to the shop that did the install...I'll update post with the resolution, especially if it turns out to be an equipment/parts issue.

If it's an OEM FW there must be something wrong with the pressure plates clamping force... either way the trans is coming back out...
    Click here to enlarge

Itsbrokeagain is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

For those uninformed, LUK makes a majority of the European markets OEM flywheels. Used them on cars ranging from 911s to your average E36 M3.

I just got a call today about ANOTHER 335xi with a slipping clutch, spec stage 1 and a LWFW combo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast