Close

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    your telling us, your hp went 259-400 with tune, e85 and air filters, on "reduced boost?"
    I've done this many many times same baseline and all, just not with a procede. It can be possible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Given a healthy motor, with E85 levels of timing and appropriate VANOS, boost and fueling changes 400whp is very possible.

In fact, I just recently installed a trunk-tank mounted HFS-4 on a local car with just DCIs and the car is running 400whp, two 1.0mm nozzles and 100% meth, and we all know with meth injection (if you're looking for properly clean logs) you'd be running less timing than on an E85 blend. We didn't push timing for glory and we'd never do such thing. His logs are as clean as they can get with meth, car's happy. With E85 in there another 20-25whp through just timing adjustments would be available easily without touching anything else.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Depends on the situation, for me i have been tuned to a specific ethanol content and have no problem mixing the two fuels, manually checking the ethanol % of the E85, and logging the car afterwards to be sure its running correctly. E85 is about a 40 minute drive for me, so its not like i deal with this on a daily basis. I rarely run E85.

I also have no interest in strapping an Atari ontop of my playstation 3.
    one of those infortunate situations where meth seems to be the winner any way you look at it...
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Given a healthy motor, with E85 levels of timing and appropriate VANOS, boost and fueling changes 400whp is very possible.

In fact, I just recently installed a trunk-tank mounted HFS-4 on a local car with just DCIs and the car is running 400whp, two 1.0mm nozzles and 100% meth, and we all know with meth injection (if you're looking for properly clean logs) you'd be running less timing than on an E85 blend. We didn't push timing for glory and we'd never do such thing. His logs are as clean as they can get with meth, car's happy. With E85 in there another 20-25whp through just timing adjustments would be available easily without touching anything else.
    What kind of boost curve are you guys targeting?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    With Cobb you will flatline and always have to worry about your trims.. so you have to stack tunes.
    I never had a problem with my fuel trims being in check with their OTS maps, but I did have flatline issues.

Despite flatlining, I never had much trouble trapping 118-119mph. Click here to enlarge

With their pump gas Stage 2+, I didn't flatline and consistently trapped 116-117mph for what its worth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I take issue with the poorly thought out over priced stuff. If its priced high and delivers high then great, but stuff like the fuel pump really rubbed me the wrong way.
    I mean anytime something is sold as a "vendor package" (turbo kits, exhausts, etc etc) it's significantly more expensive than creating your own solution. The problem is Shiv's selling an underperforming pump at a considerable (insulting) markup.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Q4P Click here to enlarge
    The last sentence sells this product; trust me...
    E85 isn't that common for anyone not in the CA-area or nearby a manufacturing location, which really makes the PROcede's E85 integration a nice add-on, not the heart of a sale's pitch. Now E85 offers great performance gains, but I've personally come to the conclusion it's way too inconvenient to make an hour+ drive just for fuel. Especially since I'm still running the OEM fueling & no FlexFuel sensor, it makes significantly more sense (and will generate more power) running straight MS109.

BUT if I wanted to run a super high HP setting that would require C16 Race Gas, then it makes significantly more sense to buy E98/100 (especially since you're going to be buying the gas from a vendor anyhow) since you'll be able to request the same performance at a lower purchasing cost.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    I mean anytime something is sold as a "vendor package" (turbo kits, exhausts, etc etc) it's significantly more expensive than creating your own solution. The problem is Shiv's selling an underperforming pump at a considerable (insulting) markup.
    Exactly. I have no qualms with the product being expensive if it was well engineered. The lack of thought though combined with the mark up is indeed insulting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    your telling us, your hp went 259-400 with tune, e85 and air filters, on "reduced boost?"
    Welllll, I fibbed by 3 horsepower. I was rounding up. It was actually 397 on about E50 (a little over half E85). If I'm being precise. Full E85 introduces just too much clutch slip and fuel line cavitation (?). I'm capping my psi to 17 right now, because of the limitations in fueling and the clutch. Maybe a spec stage 2+? Not sure yet. I'm not planning on doing any drag racing. I just want it to handle the load.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ferruccio Click here to enlarge
    Welllll, I fibbed by 3 horsepower. I was rounding up. It was actually 397 on about E50 (a little over half E85). If I'm being precise. Full E85 introduces just too much clutch slip and fuel line cavitation (?). I'm capping my psi to 17 right now, because of the limitations in fueling and the clutch. Maybe a spec stage 2+? Not sure yet. I'm not planning on doing any drag racing. I just want it to handle the load.
    For 17psi, that sounds like the right amount of HP. I do a bit more with DCI and FMIC, but I am at 17.5psi and have aggressive taper from G5 ISO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    For 17psi, that sounds like the right amount of HP. I do a bit more with DCI and FMIC, but I am at 17.5psi and have aggressive taper from G5 ISO.
    For engine mods, next thing I want to do is FMIC, well, after remanufacturing the turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For engine mods, next thing I want to do is FMIC, well, after remanufacturing the turbos.
    FMIC brings biggest bang for buck after tune in my experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    after remanufacturing the turbos.
    RBs or new OEM's?

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    RBs or new OEM's?
    I want to do the Vargas Stage 2 upgrade. My turbos are already showing signs of bearing wear, with that siren noise. It completely goes away, once warmed up. But, when cold, it is rather apparent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I want to do the Vargas Stage 2 upgrade. My turbos are already showing signs of bearing wear, with that siren noise. It completely goes away, once warmed up. But, when cold, it is rather apparent.
    that really not a sign of "reduced" boost settings..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had my turbo's replaced under the WG rattle extended warranty. The brand new ones howl like a horny wolf on a cold night. I dont think you should be concerned.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had my turbo's replaced under the WG rattle extended warranty. The brand new ones howl like a horny wolf on a cold night. I dont think you should be concerned.
    Do you know if they are using new or rebuilt replacements?
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that really not a sign of "reduced" boost settings..
    I never said it was. I was directly answering someone else's unrelated question.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So you wanna get the Vargas Stage 2s before you upgrade your FMIC??? You still have the OEM-catted DPs on too? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory Click here to enlarge
    Do you know if they are using new or rebuilt replacements?
    Brand new replacements.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So you wanna get the Vargas Stage 2s before you upgrade your FMIC??? You still have the OEM-catted DPs on too? Click here to enlarge
    Of course. Given time constraints, I will be moving out of the Bay Area shortly, and I can DIY the other stuff. I don't plan on running stage 2's without FMIC and dp's long term. That'd be pointless Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've heard both sides. Some have said that the whine is definitely indicative of the bearings going and that they need to be replaced. Others have said that they have had the whine for a long time and it is fine. I have no idea what to believe on this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've heard both sides. Some have said that the whine is definitely indicative of the bearings going and that they need to be replaced. Others have said that they have had the whine for a long time and it is fine. I have no idea what to believe on this.
    That's basically what i was eluding to. Just have an emergency turbo fund set aside for when/if they do fail and give 'em hell.

Click here to enlarge

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011