Close

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast
Results 826 to 850 of 892
  1. #826
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    1,986
    Rep Points
    2,386.1
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    24



    Yes Reputation No
    didnt get to dyno. I'm gonna have to dyno when I get home. the only dyno ive done was at around 16psi. and that's in this thread.

    not going for more power on this tranny. just consistency
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

  2. #827
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,312
    Rep Points
    1,722.8
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Or the other gear bigger. What tune is being ran with this single AK?

    The "other gear" is the crankshaft timing chain sprocket. Nope.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  3. #828
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,312
    Rep Points
    1,722.8
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    so you can't make the cog that's on the vac pump smaller?

    the chain would have to be shortened (so now you have to find a master link that will work, then manufacturing the sprocket, and tensioner issues.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  4. #829
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    so you can't make the cog that's on the vac pump smaller?
    I swear we talk about the same stuff every 6 months.

    I was thinking yesterday that it may be possible to put an "overdrive" planatary gear box on the back of the vaccum pump to increase the HPFP rotation speed by 10 or 20% over stock. The planetary box would maintain shaft alignment, it would just push the HPFP back an inch or two.

    The more obvious option of increasing the stroke of the plungers in the HPFP would almost surely require an entirely different pump.

    Another option would be to drive the HPFP with an electric motor, but it would require a special controler which would take the control signal form the DME and use it to determine the motor speed and position of the stock solenoid fuel valve.

    I don't have enough time to work on any of this though, just wanted to share my thoughts.
    Eppur si muove.

  5. #830
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,312
    Rep Points
    1,722.8
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I swear we talk about the same stuff every 6 months.

    I was thinking yesterday that it may be possible to put an "overdrive" planatary gear box on the back of the vaccum pump to increase the HPFP rotation speed by 10 or 20% over stock. The planetary box would maintain shaft alignment, it would just push the HPFP back an inch or two.

    The more obvious option of increasing the stroke of the plungers in the HPFP would almost surely require an entirely different pump.

    Another option would be to drive the HPFP with an electric motor, but it would require a special controler which would take the control signal form the DME and use it to determine the motor speed and position of the stock solenoid fuel valve.

    I don't have enough time to work on any of this though, just wanted to share my thoughts.

    the HDP still needs to be oiled as well.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  6. #831
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    180
    Rep Points
    578.2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Yes, let's make this jam sauce happen.

  7. #832
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    the HDP still needs to be oiled as well.
    HDP? I'm sorry but I don't recognize this abbreviation.

    The HPFP has it's own oil inside. It does not use engine oil for lubrication because the oil is what the plungers act on, then the oil squeezes the bellows to pressurize the fuel. If engine oil was used, positive pressure would just force the oil out of the pump and into the rest of the engine's lubrication circuit.
    Eppur si muove.

  8. #833
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,312
    Rep Points
    1,722.8
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    HDP: high pressure pump in BMW world.

    HochDruck​Pumpe
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  9. #834
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,932
    Rep Points
    4,049.0
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I swear we talk about the same stuff every 6 months.

    I was thinking yesterday that it may be possible to put an "overdrive" planatary gear box on the back of the vaccum pump to increase the HPFP rotation speed by 10 or 20% over stock. The planetary box would maintain shaft alignment, it would just push the HPFP back an inch or two.

    The more obvious option of increasing the stroke of the plungers in the HPFP would almost surely require an entirely different pump.

    Another option would be to drive the HPFP with an electric motor, but it would require a special controler which would take the control signal form the DME and use it to determine the motor speed and position of the stock solenoid fuel valve.

    I don't have enough time to work on any of this though, just wanted to share my thoughts.
    Just do me one favor guys, when talking about changing pulleys adding gearboxes to the back of the pump etc, etc, etc. Please at least have looked at the area you are referring to, we have had that entire assembly apart, there is no room for ANYTHING to be added there, good luck getting in there to change the pulley, chain, etc for prob very little increase in fuel flow. You are right about one thing, we do discuss the same thing every 6 months or so. There are other options, and doing anything with the stock location is not one of them, you can modify the pump, and you can add another pump. Those are basically your options, we have done the former, and have had our fabricator look into the latter, its possible. I am sure I will go back to it once I have some time.

  10. #835
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Just do me one favor guys, when talking about changing pulleys adding gearboxes to the back of the pump etc, etc, etc. Please at least have looked at the area you are referring to, we have had that entire assembly apart, there is no room for ANYTHING to be added there, good luck getting in there to change the pulley, chain, etc for prob very little increase in fuel flow. You are right about one thing, we do discuss the same thing every 6 months or so. There are other options, and doing anything with the stock location is not one of them, you can modify the pump, and you can add another pump. Those are basically your options, we have done the former, and have had our fabricator look into the latter, its possible. I am sure I will go back to it once I have some time.
    Based on my own recollection when cleaning my intake valves, and pictures like this

    Click here to enlarge

    and this

    Click here to enlarge

    it does look like there is some room to move the HPFP rearward. Granted you'd have to alter those hard lines (which shouldn't be taken lightly because one contains fuel at thousands of PSI), but it doesn't appear impossible.
    Eppur si muove.

  11. #836
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,312
    Rep Points
    1,722.8
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    not so much.

    what is DIRECTLY above it? - an intake manifold and a huge box of wiring and plugs right behind it.


    no room boss.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  12. #837
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,932
    Rep Points
    4,049.0
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Based on my own recollection when cleaning my intake valves, and pictures like this

    Click here to enlarge

    and this

    Click here to enlarge

    it does look like there is some room to move the HPFP rearward. Granted you'd have to alter those hard lines (which shouldn't be taken lightly because one contains fuel at thousands of PSI), but it doesn't appear impossible.
    Go ahead bud, we anxiously await your results. You also have the intake off, quite a bit more room with the intake off. Not being a dick at all, just saying, go ahead and try to add a gearbox in between the 2 pumps, sounds like a nightmare for how much increase in flow? If you are successful more power to ya.

  13. #838
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,228
    Rep Points
    2,205.8
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Go ahead bud, we anxiously await your results. You also have the intake off, quite a bit more room with the intake off. Not being a dick at all, just saying, go ahead and try to add a gearbox in between the 2 pumps, sounds like a nightmare for how much increase in flow? If you are successful more power to ya.
    That's how innovation happens: trying new things and doing what others say cannot be done.
    Change is constant

  14. #839
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Tallahassee
    Posts
    1,492
    Rep Points
    -24.0
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    That's how innovation happens: trying new things and doing what others say cannot be done.
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #840
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,932
    Rep Points
    4,049.0
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    That's how innovation happens: trying new things and doing what others say cannot be done.
    Who said it can't be done? Anything can be done, you can put a pinto motor in a 335 if you wanted to, you can run from here to NYC and back if you really wanted to, but the question always comes down to time invested vs gains reaped. Spinning this pump slightly faster is going to provide minimal gains at best. No one is saying he cant do it. I will be the first to congratulate him if he does. But I will always take the route I know will provide the best results, that is not it. But you never know til you try. Click here to enlarge

  16. #841
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    180
    Rep Points
    578.2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Who said it can't be done? Anything can be done, you can put a pinto motor in a 335 if you wanted to, you can run from here to NYC and back if you really wanted to, but the question always comes down to time invested vs gains reaped. Spinning this pump slightly faster is going to provide minimal gains at best. No one is saying he cant do it. I will be the first to congratulate him if he does. But I will always take the route I know will provide the best results, that is not it. But you never know til you try. Click here to enlarge

    Minimal gains might just be what we need on this platform to get over those mid range hicups

  17. #842
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,932
    Rep Points
    4,049.0
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aflatau Click here to enlarge
    Minimal gains might just be what we need on this platform to get over those mid range hicups
    Cool, well good luck to you guys on getting it done. As I said, be the first to congratulate if it works out.

  18. #843
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,826
    Rep Points
    -66.0
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    The "other gear" is the crankshaft timing chain sprocket. Nope.
    (to continue my ignorant path) Then change all the other gears connected to that to be bigger too lmao

  19. #844
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,312
    Rep Points
    1,722.8
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    aaaand im done.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  20. #845
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,932
    Rep Points
    4,049.0
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    aaaand im done.
    +1..Click here to enlarge

  21. #846
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,220
    Rep Points
    9,374.5
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    94


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    We desperately need a higher volume high pressure pump. But I think the only realistic solution will come from one of these diesel high pressure pump companies redesigning the pump internals and offering it to us. Probably will have to cost in the $1000 range. Which would be fine if it worked.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  22. #847
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,932
    Rep Points
    4,049.0
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    We desperately need a higher volume high pressure pump. But I think the only realistic solution will come from one of these diesel high pressure pump companies redesigning the pump internals and offering it to us. Probably will have to cost in the $1000 range. Which would be fine if it worked.
    We come from the diesel world, we used to make 50% of our money rebuilding and recalibrating diesel injection pumps to make more fuel for turbo Installs. I have contacted at least 4 of my diesel connections that all they do is new style HPFP but for diesel, they all said the same thing, no offense but not interested. At that point I have up on that and started looking at the parts we had on hand. That's when we started modifying things. Someone will eventually want to take this thing on, I am sure in the new future as well.

  23. #848
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg
    Posts
    1,281
    Rep Points
    1,556.3
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    16


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    not so much.

    what is DIRECTLY above it? - an intake manifold and a huge box of wiring and plugs right behind it.


    no room boss.
    Thanks, big guy.Click here to enlarge

    We are talking about moving the pump back 2 inches, not up any amount whatsoever. If the intake manifold doesn't hit that piece of conduit and the metal bracket in the second picture, it is not going to hit the pump if it is moved back a couple inches. If I remember properly, the black box mounts to the bottom of the manifold, so if it doesn't hit the bracket with the conduit in the second picture, it's not going to hit the pump if it is moved back two inches.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Go ahead bud, we anxiously await your results. You also have the intake off, quite a bit more room with the intake off. Not being a dick at all, just saying, go ahead and try to add a gearbox in between the 2 pumps, sounds like a nightmare for how much increase in flow? If you are successful more power to ya.
    Come on, man, I'm just trying to throw some ideas around. I brought up a couple ideas I hadn't heard anyone else mention. If there is no room to move the pump back, then there is no room.

    Spinning the pump faster will cause a proportionally larger volume of fuel to flow as long as excessive restrictions are not present, which you seem to have removed in your pump upgrade. The pump in stock form cannot supply the fuel volume necessary to make large amounts of torque at low RPMs, so increasing the flow is the obvious solution.

    Alex and Tony, I like both of you guys. You seem like guys who know their $#@! and deliver results, but just because I don't own my own shop doesn't mean you guys should mock me for bringing my ideas to the table. It's like installing turbos, it doesn't take a genius to loosen some bolts, and tighten them back down, just a motivated individual with patience, skill, time, and attention to detail.

    I try to be respectful and helpful at all times, but when both of you guys come down on me basically calling me a fool because I see a couple inches of space behind the pump, that's is just unnecessary and it detracts from the kind of discussion that makes this particular forum what it is. If you wish to disagree with me at least have some evidence to back up your claims.
    Eppur si muove.

  24. #849
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North Houston
    Posts
    1,312
    Rep Points
    1,722.8
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm not mocking at all, nor am i sayin "your stupid"; thats pretty naive to think that. This has been covered a bunch of times and suggested. The pump is maxed based on its design.
    Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports dealer
    Turner Motorsports dealer
    Bimmerworld dealer
    Active Autowerks Dealer
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

  25. #850
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,220
    Rep Points
    9,374.5
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    94


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    We come from the diesel world, we used to make 50% of our money rebuilding and recalibrating diesel injection pumps to make more fuel for turbo Installs. I have contacted at least 4 of my diesel connections that all they do is new style HPFP but for diesel, they all said the same thing, no offense but not interested. At that point I have up on that and started looking at the parts we had on hand. That's when we started modifying things. Someone will eventually want to take this thing on, I am sure in the new future as well.
    Yeah they probably just don't realize the market potential. It's a shame. Hopefully something comes to fruition some day. Until then it's meth kits for us.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •