Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Hey guys, figured I'd ask here since everyone seems to know their $#@!. I don't track my 2008 135 but might like to in the future. Mainly going after straight line grip and just want a better handling street car. Here's what I had in mind:

M3 front control arm kit
    Dinan camber plates
    Koni fsd's
    2011+ linear m sport springs
    Defiv lockdown kit
    Mfactory LSD -(once proven and available for welded diffs)
    Already picked up: m3 subframe bushings, arc 8s

Looking for something that will handle better than stock and not add a bunch of nvh. I know the defiv kit will add some so I plan on putting some dynamat under the rear seat to keep it quiet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    Hey guys, figured I'd ask here since everyone seems to know their $#@!. I don't track my 2008 135 but might like to in the future. Mainly going after straight line grip and just want a better handling street car. Here's what I had in mind:

M3 front control arm kit
    Dinan camber plates
    Koni fsd's
    Defiv lockdown kit

Looking for something that will handle better than stock and not add a bunch of nvh. I know the defiv kit will add some so I plan on putting some dynamat under the rear seat to keep it quiet.
    Fine choices there IMO.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

M3 front control arm kit
    Dinan camber plates
    Koni fsd's
    Defiv lockdown kit

Good selections. If your dropping the subframe to do the M3 bushings and LSD Id consider upgrading the diff bushings as well. I would also recommend the Megan racing adjustable toe arms for the rear to help with that sloppy rear end on hard accelerations. By far the best suspension mods I've done have been the M3 sub bushings and toe arms. Cars rear was dangerously "wiggly" prior. Dian camber plates are non adjustable but are perfect. I use those as well. With the M3 arms and Dinan plates I sit at -2.3 ish camber up front. I don't know much about the Defiv lockdown kit but have heard mixed reviews. User reviewes on the forum have been good but one suspension shop I spoke to recommended I stay away from it.
    -Modified safety triangle in trunk
    -Carbon fiber key overlay
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    Good selections. If your dropping the subframe to do the M3 bushings and LSD Id consider upgrading the diff bushings as well. I would also recommend the Megan racing adjustable toe arms for the rear to help with that sloppy rear end on hard accelerations. By far the best suspension mods I've done have been the M3 sub bushings and toe arms. Cars rear was dangerously "wiggly" prior. Dian camber plates are non adjustable but are perfect. I use those as well. With the M3 arms and Dinan plates I sit at -2.3 ish camber up front. I don't know much about the Defiv lockdown kit but have heard mixed reviews. User reviewes on the forum have been good but one suspension shop I spoke to recommended I stay away from it.
    Thanks for the advice! The defiv lockdown kit replaces two of the diff bushings with solid metal bushings, are there any other diff bushings? Reason I want it is to avoid snapping axles and eliminate as much wheel hop as possible. If that means I have to live with a little more nvh, I will.
    Last edited by bmw335iguy; 03-08-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the advice! The defiv lockdown kit replaces two of the diff bushings with solid metal bushings, are there any other diff bushings? Reason I want it is to avoid snapping axles and eliminate as much wheel hop as possible. If that means I have to live with a little more nvh, I will.
    Eliminating wheel hop is worth any tradeoffs. A little noise versus snapped axles? Easy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are poly and delrin bushings also. Maybe talk to Defiv and ask if those would work with their kit. Might at lease be another option with a bit less nvh. If you do get their kit, let me know what your take on it is after some experience with it. Would be
    much appreciated.
    -Modified safety triangle in trunk
    -Carbon fiber key overlay
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    There are poly and delrin bushings also. Maybe talk to Defiv and ask if those would work with their kit. Might at lease be another option with a bit less nvh. If you do get their kit, let me know what your take on it is after some experience with it. Would be
    much appreciated.
    Yeah I know I've seen rick comment that you can buy a partial lockdown kit if you already replaced the diff bushings with delrin or the like. I'll most likely just go with the solid ones he includes in the full kit. And I was wrong, just checked the defiv website and it replaces 4 bushings, not two like I originally thought. Defiantly will report back, won't be for a few months until mfactory comes out with the welded diffs. That way I can do the M3 subframe bushings, LSD, and lockdown kit in one shot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TRES Click here to enlarge
    hey jake1829 I wouldnt waste time on the m3 bits except the front. replace all the rear arms including the toe arm to megan racing adjustable arms, no noise no issues great for the street/track.(used them since 2011 daily driven) Get delrin bushings for the subframe its better, the m3 will work also. you should also change the front tension strut bushing for a quality bearing type like the dinan or bimmerworld. I got the akg which was very high quality and cheaper. It helps with hard braking stability. One of the most important thing also is good tires and brakes. I use michelin pss. I go to the track also and came to the realization i need a real race car. So i rent a spec miata for scca racing and use my car for hpde and pdx's.
    My current set up on my 135i is
    M3 front control arm kit
    M3 rear subframe bushings
    Ohlins Road and Track coilovers with swift springs
    Dinan camber plates
    AA strut brace
    Wavetrac LSD and DEFIV Lockdown kit.

I was thinking of getting this and this.
    But you would recommend going with all Megan links?

Yeah I know I've seen rick comment that you can buy a partial lockdown kit if you already replaced the diff bushings with delrin or the like. I'll most likely just go with the solid ones he includes in the full kit. And I was wrong, just checked the defiv website and it replaces 4 bushings, not two like I originally thought. Defiantly will report back, won't be for a few months until mfactory comes out with the welded diffs. That way I can do the M3 subframe bushings, LSD, and lockdown kit in one shot.
    I find the DEFIV kit pretty noisy in my car, both whine and clunks. I can live with it but be warned if you are sensitive to that kind of thing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It all depends on what youre trying to achieve. If you just drive on the street you dont really need all the arms but if you also track definetly. Just because you get more adjustability(camber,caster and toe),stability and stiffer arms.

The wavetrac does make a clunk but its normal I freaked out at first when i heard it, as far as whine Ive heard some people blame the m3 subframe bushings and i also know people with the delrin subframe bushings and minimal whine.
    I have a slight whine now since i upgraded my trans mounts. I switched my diff fluid from redline 75 90ns to motul 75 -140w the whine has diminshed alot but it is still present, Ilike to hear the gear whine Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    M3 front control arm kit
    Dinan camber plates
    AA strut brace

I find the DEFIV kit pretty noisy in my car, both whine and clunks. I can live with it but be warned if you are sensitive to that kind of thing.
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @alipina, I know you and I have had our "disagreements" - but, am genuinely curious, as you have detailed your setup, and seem to have good working knowledge of both. Your setup vs stock M3 - exactly comparable, or the M3 less (or more) sloppy or the x35 more (or less) sloppy? Genuinely curious.

Cheers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could someone explain to me why I shouldn't get the M3 rear sway bar kit?

With the E9x suffering understeer, a stiffer front to me would be making the issue worse??

With all these changes, wouldn't pairing the front and rear be recommended?

current suspension mods:

KW V3 coilovers
    Defiv Lockdown kit
    Wavetrack LSD
    2009 E92 6AT SG 335i Msport :
    JB4+Flash (stacked setup), AR Downpipes, AA Bov, AA Exhaust, AA Race FMIC, AA Strut Bar, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, BMS Thermostat, WaveTrac LSD, ER Sport Oil Cooler, Michelin PSS, Lux Angel eyes, KW V3 Coilovers, Vossen CV3, DEFIV lockdown kit, Arkym front lip , carbon side splitters

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jake1829 Click here to enlarge
    Could someone explain to me why I shouldn't get the M3 rear sway bar kit?

With the E9x suffering understeer, a stiffer front to me would be making the issue worse??

With all these changes, wouldn't pairing the front and rear be recommended?

current suspension mods:

KW V3 coilovers
    Defiv Lockdown kit
    Wavetrack LSD
    I'm not a huge suspension expert but who told you that you shouldn't and what was their reasoning?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm not a huge suspension expert but who told you that you shouldn't and what was their reasoning?
    General consensus from people i have chatted to, Harold@HPA

Was helping a mate of mine today with new sway bars on his s15 and we got chatting about the changes with my car in regards to the M3 bits , and that's when we got onto the topic about the rear sway bar

From what i have read / chatted - people coming from factory/m suspension or aftermarket springs did both sway bars
    People who had coilovers, they only did the front sway bar it seemed

can anyone explain how coilovers help/respond to body roll then a sway bar eg the rear?

thanks
    JB4+Flash (stacked setup), AR Downpipes, AA Bov, AA Exhaust, AA Race FMIC, AA Strut Bar, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, BMS Thermostat, WaveTrac LSD, ER Sport Oil Cooler, Michelin PSS, Lux Angel eyes, KW V3 Coilovers, Vossen CV3, DEFIV lockdown kit, Arkym front lip , carbon side splitters

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jake1829 Click here to enlarge
    General consensus from people i have chatted to, Harold@HPA

Was helping a mate of mine today with new sway bars on his s15 and we got chatting about the changes with my car in regards to the M3 bits , and that's when we got onto the topic about the rear sway bar

From what i have read / chatted - people coming from factory/m suspension or aftermarket springs did both sway bars
    People who had coilovers, they only did the front sway bar it seemed

can anyone explain how coilovers help/respond to body roll then a sway bar eg the rear?

thanks
    I think I'm following what he's saying. If you just do one or the other you may increase or decrease understeer/oversteer. So, it's not that you don't want to do the rear sway bar it's that you want to know how it will affect handling with your other modifications or other suspension modifications you intend to make.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So, it's not that you don't want to do the rear sway bar it's that you want to know how it will affect handling with your other modifications or other suspension modifications you intend to make.

Yep basically in a nutshell

Current Suspension mods:

KW V3 coilovers
    Defiv Lockdown kit
    Wavetrack LSD

Parts being shipped/arrived :

1) Megan Racing Toe Arms

2) M3 suspension Parts:

M3 Front Kit - 31102283575, 31102283576, 31102283577, 31102283578, 37142283867

M3 Rear Kit - 33322283547, 33322283548, 33322283545, 33322283546

ABS Sensor Brackets x2 - 34522283017
    M3 Subframe Front Bushing Kit (2each) - 33312283382, 33312283382

M3 Front Sway Bar Kit -31352283965
    Question is, do i buy the rear sway bar - why and why not / reasons etc

thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, well, it basically boils down to how you want the car to feel. Usually, a rear sway bar will decrease understeer. If you are talented and know what you're doing at the limit, this is great. That said, a bit of understeer can be safer than snap-on oversteer you are not prepared for.

The only way to really determine if you should or should not add it is how you like the handling profile of the car with the parts you already have. If you feel there is too much understeer at the limit, add the rear sway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    M3 front control arm kit
    Dinan camber plates
    AA strut brace

Thanks for the heads up. Have you considered putting some dynamat underneath your rear seat?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No I haven't tried Dynamat, the car is heavy enough already Click here to enlarge

It all depends on what youre trying to achieve. If you just drive on the street you dont really need all the arms but if you also track definetly. Just because you get more adjustability(camber,caster and toe),stability and stiffer arms.

The wavetrac does make a clunk but its normal I freaked out at first when i heard it, as far as whine Ive heard some people blame the m3 subframe bushings and i also know people with the delrin subframe bushings and minimal whine.
    I have a slight whine now since i upgraded my trans mounts. I switched my diff fluid from redline 75 90ns to motul 75 -140w the whine has diminshed alot but it is still present, Ilike to hear the gear whine Click here to enlarge
    Car is a daily driver but sees the track 10-12 times a year. So I'll think about the Megan arms instead.
    The whine is fine I actually kind of like it as well, but the clunking isn't nice. I bought the diff as a complete pumpkin assembled by Autotech themselves so I assume it is assembled correctly, and I have triple checked the installation.
    DEFIV also probably shouldn't say
    No increase in NVH or harshness
    on their site. I wasn't foolish enough to believe that would be true with solid bushings but it is more than expected. I put OEM diff oil for first fill and changed it to Motul 75w90 after 2000kms. Will try the 75w140 next time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I just got my AMSOIL catalog and saw this stuff and thought of all you guys with clunking LSDs may be worth a shot?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...-oil-additive/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks for the link the slip lock is for clutch lsd's. wavetrac doesn't recommend the friction modifiers for their diffs. Amsoil makes good products

I just got my AMSOIL catalog and saw this stuff and thought of all you guys with clunking LSDs may be worth a shot?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...-oil-additive/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thanks for the link the slip lock is for clutch lsd's. wavetrac doesn't recommend the friction modifiers for their diffs. Amsoil makes good products
    Bummer! And here I thought I'd found the cure for cancer, lol. Oh well. Yeah I'm finally switching from the oem oil to the amsoil 5-40 euro formula full saps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    let me know how the amsoil oil work out regarding oil temps

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Where is the best place tro buy these? Megan racing aren't answering my emails.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Where is the best place tro buy these? Megan racing aren't answering my emails.
    Ugh, do people not want money?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast