Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If you are concerned about your water pump OP buy a new one and keep it in the trunk. I have the lastest model in mine just in case and it cost me $320 shipped new from a forum member that gets new ones from time to time. Otherwise $450 is right plus shipping.

I drove my E93 in Germany before shipping it to the US on the Autobahn and it ran a solid 270F with no aux cooler but at 145mph. I added the aux cooler when back in the US but the oil temps as reported are supposed to be 245F. Mine runs there in the summer with no load in town driving but interstate 250F. Winter time 230F.

I would be more concerned with intake valve build up than anything else on this car. I do read of many water pump failures but again this is a forum and it seems people never report hey my car runs just fine. I don't know what the read failure mileage is since BMW doesn't keep that kind of data but I would hope 75K miles would be at least the overall average.

I am adding a FMIC and COBB AP but I am not planning on beating on the car so not sure how this will go with component life. There are some on the forums at 200K miles with a HPFP replacement, water pump replacement and the intake valve cleaning once. That to me isn't bad at all...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    for racing purposes of any kind, you need an oil cooler. If you are not racing, and just doing city or highway driving you don't even need one, as most didn't even come with one in the beginning. AR design is documented to be one of the weakest oil coolers for tracking, because it still uses the factory oil thermostat.
    In that case any oil cooler that uses the factory thermostat is weak. The cooler is not the issue, the tstat is. Reverse it and you actually have very little issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fun2drive Click here to enlarge
    If you are concerned about your water pump OP buy a new one and keep it in the trunk. I have the lastest model in mine just in case and it cost me $320 shipped new from a forum member that gets new ones from time to time. Otherwise $450 is right plus shipping.

I drove my E93 in Germany before shipping it to the US on the Autobahn and it ran a solid 270F with no aux cooler but at 145mph. I added the aux cooler when back in the US but the oil temps as reported are supposed to be 245F. Mine runs there in the summer with no load in town driving but interstate 250F. Winter time 230F.

I would be more concerned with intake valve build up than anything else on this car. I do read of many water pump failures but again this is a forum and it seems people never report hey my car runs just fine. I don't know what the read failure mileage is since BMW doesn't keep that kind of data but I would hope 75K miles would be at least the overall average.

I am adding a FMIC and COBB AP but I am not planning on beating on the car so not sure how this will go with component life. There are some on the forums at 200K miles with a HPFP replacement, water pump replacement and the intake valve cleaning once. That to me isn't bad at all...
    Intake valve deposits are really based on how hard you drive. You drive your car hard and are in the throttle a lot, deposits arent so bad. You do a lot of idling or cruising around town, it gets pretty gunked up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Intake valve deposits are really based on how hard you drive. You drive your car hard and are in the throttle a lot, deposits arent so bad. You do a lot of idling or cruising around town, it gets pretty gunked up.
    Mine must be spotless Click here to enlarge

Thanks for the responses everyone, theres a wealth of info in this thread!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    In that case any oil cooler that uses the factory thermostat is weak. The cooler is not the issue, the tstat is. Reverse it and you actually have very little issues.
    It is not because of tstat, it is because of the OC location.
    Last edited by 654; 12-23-2012 at 11:20 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    It is not because of tstat, it is because of the OC location.
    Disagreee, a combination of the OEM Tstat & actual core are the weak links. If you upgrade the T-Stat, it'll at least start the cooling process earlier. The OEM core easily gets plenty of airflow, otherwise ER would not have built their Race Oil Cooler application around the exact same location.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Disagreee, a combination of the OEM Tstat & actual core are the weak links. If you upgrade the T-Stat, it'll at least start the cooling process earlier. The OEM core easily gets plenty of airflow, otherwise ER would not have built their Race Oil Cooler application around the exact same location.
    I guess you misunderstood the location I was talking about. Yes the stock location is perfect since the flow is great and the hot air gets out directly. The opposite can be said about the location in front of the radiator. The radiator behind the OC is like a wall to the flow and the air does not flow well through them. Even worse, the hot OC heats up the radiator and increases water temps as well as the under hood temps in general. Having enough cooling capacity is essential. Stock OC is fine for most people. Upgraded core is needed for tracking. The tstat works as planned for the N54's optimal operating temps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    for racing purposes of any kind, you need an oil cooler. If you are not racing, and just doing city or highway driving you don't even need one, as most didn't even come with one in the beginning. AR design is documented to be one of the weakest oil coolers for tracking, because it still uses the factory oil thermostat.
    I'd have to disagree on the weakest. And we offer a thermostat delete plate to bypass the OEM 250F thermostat.
    Click here to enlarge
    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ar design Click here to enlarge
    I'd have to disagree on the weakest. And we offer a thermostat delete plate to bypass the OEM 250F thermostat.
    Your initial offering was the weakest, of the oil coolers, as documented by myself, and BrianMN. However, you have since designed a dual one with a non oem T-stat (Stage 2). This one works much better, as reported by Adamway. Now if you can design an upgraded Aluminum radiator for the 6AT, and priced it right, you will have many new customers, myself included! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your initial offering was the weakest, of the oil coolers, as documented by myself, and BrianMN.
    It's kind of tiring to read how you think you are an N54 tuning authority.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's kind of tiring to read how you think you are an N54 tuning authority.
    Your e-stalking my posts is kind of getting old. You have a constitution, and a 400 year old country, yay for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your e-stalking my posts is kind of getting old. You have a constitution, and a 400 year old country, yay for you.
    E-Stalking? Man that's good.

Don't bring up your political or religious thoughts again please. It's more than enough to read what you think companies should be doing to appease you with the N54.

I'll get right on telling AR Design to please you as soon as I'm doing the same with Active Autowerke. Any other companies/tuners you want to do specifically what you want because you think it's good for their business?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    E-Stalking? Man that's good.

Don't bring up your political or religious thoughts again please. It's more enough than enough to get your fill on what companies should be doing to appease you with the N54.

I'll get right on telling AR Design to please you as soon as I'm doing with Active Autowerke. Any other companies/tuners you want to do specifically what you want because you think it's good for their business?
    Hey dummy, unfortunately for you, a lot of us have years, and thousands of posts behind us on shivpost.com. I am one of those who started a post years ago on the limp issues this car has having at the track. With my help and others, we compiled hard data on oil coolers, and stett's design showed superiority over what AR design offered. To add insult to injury, mine, and others, nearly lost our engines, when Ardesign's oil cooler lines burst (originally nylon lines), while we were driving. Andrew sent me free stainless steel lines, and is a stand up guy. luckily, I didn't loose my engine. Since then Ardesign has come out with a stage 2 kit, that works at the track.

This is just information, you can find by reading the other forum. You need to get over the fact that manufacturers have a lot more interest in our car, than your bearing fail-boat, weak little V8.

Oh, and please:

Brigg Top- "Get your Tongue out of my ass-hole! Dogs do that. You're not a dog are ya?"

Snatch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

0 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

This post by Turkeybaster115 is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey dummy, unfortunately for you, a lot of us have years, and thousands of posts behind us on shivpost.com. I am one of those who started a post years ago on the limp issues this car has having at the track. With my help and others, we compiled hard data on oil coolers, and stett's design showed superiority over what AR design offered. To add insult to injury, mine, and others, nearly lost our engines, when Ardesign's oil cooler lines burst (originally nylon lines), while we were driving. Andrew sent me free stainless steel lines, and is a stand up guy. luckily, I didn't loose my engine. Since then Ardesign has come out with a stage 2 kit, that works at the track.

This is just information, you can find by reading the other forum. You need to get over the fact that manufacturers have a lot more interest in our car, than your bearing fail-boat, weak little V8.

Oh, and please:

Brigg Top- "Get your Tongue out of my ass-hole! Dogs do that. You're not a dog are ya?"

Snatch.
    Cool story bro.

Removed from thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some users did have lines that were installed incorrectly, and failed. All of which have been replaced free of charge. As to the rest of the comments, I am going to politely bow out Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123