Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

VAC 3.5L S54 Stroker with SEQUENTIAL SHIFTER!

Has this been posted here yet? Saw it on VACs youtube waiting for their 4.4l s65 to dyno. Sequential shifter is INSANE and this thing screams! Pure awesomeness, DCT what?

2007 AW/Beige E92 335i 6MT / JB4 / E85 BB backend / IC / DCI / DPs / ER CP / Forge DVs / Meth(off) / 335is/550i Clutch / MFactory Steel SMFW / NGK Step Colder Plugs / BMS SSK/UUC KNOB / M3 Front Control Arms / Solid rear arms / Tein SS-P Coilovers / M4 18" in PSS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

lol what the hell is going on in that video?!

Sounds absolutely ridiculous. Would like some better quality video though.
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Ahhh yes. VAC 3.5L + Quaife 69G sequential = MONSTER. We actually stock those gearboxes, haha. Direct bolt to S54 too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mike@VAC Click here to enlarge
    Ahhh yes. VAC 3.5L + Quaife 69G sequential = MONSTER. We actually stock those gearboxes, haha. Direct bolt to S54 too.
    really? thats insane

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

it straight up sounds like a motorcycle/race car hybrid. Im hesitant leaving 6mt for DCTs,PDKs and such but if sequential were readily available on more cars i'd ditch the manual in a heartbeat!
    2007 AW/Beige E92 335i 6MT / JB4 / E85 BB backend / IC / DCI / DPs / ER CP / Forge DVs / Meth(off) / 335is/550i Clutch / MFactory Steel SMFW / NGK Step Colder Plugs / BMS SSK/UUC KNOB / M3 Front Control Arms / Solid rear arms / Tein SS-P Coilovers / M4 18" in PSS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Tell me more about this transmission...would this be feasible in a street car? Any downsides?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

That honestly looked like a video game. That gearbox is insane, how much power can it hold? Does it have special settings for launch control or anything etc. Any difference in top end? LOL so interesting.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Now that sounds like an M car should. It just sounds so angry.

That said, why they have the world's worst video cameras over there beats me.

Still, this thing is SICK!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Why is it better than the SMG or is it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin Click here to enlarge
    Tell me more about this transmission...would this be feasible in a street car? Any downsides?
    +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

How much for the trans, and what kind of power can it handle? Does that mean it mounts to an e36 as well? Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The trans is about $11k, then you need bell-housing, hydraulic throw-out bearing, clutch, flywheel that fits in that case, custom driveshaft, and possibly a different starter. (Not sure on the case configuration) Also, unless you want to kill that trans really fast, you need an ECU that supports a load cell input and gear shift cut. (In other words, a stand alone)

You might also want to invest in a bite plate to protect your teeth....anyone that's been inside of a true sequential car shifting at WOT will know what I'm talking about. The novelty of a sequential wears off pretty fast when street cruising....
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

We do not recommend a sequential for street driving. Our guys in Lebanon are pretty crazy - so their street use is not exactly typical Click here to enlarge This is a race trans, plain and simple.

Quaife rates this box at 750hp. It's dubbed their 'Viper Box'

We have them in E46 M3s, E36 M3s and E30 M3s. Possibly an E21 soon Click here to enlarge

As stated above, the trans alone starts at 11k or so. We have BMW specific packages ready for sale.

BTW, the DCT is REALLY REALLY good for street and occasional track use Click here to enlarge For all out track use, a sequential or dogbox is better.

I beg them for better 'footage' but they focus more on driving than recording. Biser3a has some good stuff here. All VAC power in these vids.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    The trans is about $11k, then you need bell-housing, hydraulic throw-out bearing, clutch, flywheel that fits in that case, custom driveshaft, and possibly a different starter. (Not sure on the case configuration) Also, unless you want to kill that trans really fast, you need an ECU that supports a load cell input and gear shift cut. (In other words, a stand alone)

You might also want to invest in a bite plate to protect your teeth....anyone that's been inside of a true sequential car shifting at WOT will know what I'm talking about. The novelty of a sequential wears off pretty fast when street cruising....
    In the past I heard they can't handle much power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

We do not recommend a sequential for street driving. Our guys in Lebanon are pretty crazy - so their street use is not exactly typical Click here to enlarge This is a race trans, plain and simple.

We have them in E46 M3s, E36 M3s and E30 M3s. Possibly an E21 soon Click here to enlarge

As stated above, the trans alone starts at 11k or so. We have BMW specific packages ready for sale.

BTW, the DCT is REALLY REALLY good for street and occasional track use Click here to enlarge For all out track use, a sequential or dogbox is better.

I beg them for better 'footage' but they focus more on driving than recording. Biser3a has some good stuff here. All VAC power in these vids.

http://youtu.be/u_anYZDjlcQ

http://youtu.be/Hu8b_kFx2tg
    I love these videos... makes me want a hill climb car.

Why all their videos aren't recorded in this quality I don't understand, beautiful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

http://youtu.be/u_anYZDjlcQ

http://youtu.be/Hu8b_kFx2tg
    Forget HP what kind of WTQ can they handle? We e36 humans make torques. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Would love to see the GoPro vid from the Orange or Silver/Space Grey CSL E46 M3s
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    The 69G? They hold up to Viper power levels. Not sure beyond that.

Forget HP what kind of WTQ can they handle? We e36 humans make torques. Click here to enlarge
    I was waiting for this ;-) Not sure honestly, we usually mate this trans with a big hp S54 - not a ton of TQ as we all know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The 69G? They hold up to Viper power levels. Not sure beyond that.

I was waiting for this ;-) Not sure honestly, we usually mate this trans with a big hp S54 - not a ton of TQ as we all know.

Interesting. I'm currently making 548wtq I know the stock trans will last, but the thoughts of shifting that fast is insane. Put many cars in there place with great ease.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

They can handle as much power as your wallet can afford.

These are race products designed for specific applications. I wouldn't want to use a 2,000 hp G-Force transmission on a road course, and I wouldn't want to drag race a BMW Motorsport transmission (Drenth etc...)

Would I put the Quaife 69G in my street car? Heck yes...because I'm a little crazy! And also because I understand what is required to make it work/last. The torque handling with this type of application is more about how the shift strategy is handled, than the sustained load tolerance of the gear cluster. 600wtq is manageable I believe...but it's something that would take a bit of development to get setup.

Mr.Blonde (Kenny) has some in-car video of him street driving his turbo M-coupe with a Hollinger sequential transmission a while back.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    They can handle as much power as your wallet can afford.

These are race products designed for specific applications. I wouldn't want to use a 2,000 hp G-Force transmission on a road course, and I wouldn't want to drag race a BMW Motorsport transmission (Drenth etc...)

Would I put the Quaife 69G in my street car? Heck yes...because I'm a little crazy! And also because I understand what is required to make it work/last. The torque handling with this type of application is more about how the shift strategy is handled, than the sustained load tolerance of the gear cluster. 600wtq is manageable I believe...but it's something that would take a bit of development to get setup.

Mr.Blonde (Kenny) has some in-car video of him street driving his turbo M-coupe with a Hollinger sequential transmission a while back.....
    Ahhh yea I remember that. I'm not saying I would do it, but its great to find out what the limits are. Seems like it would be something like 20k when its said and done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Ahhh yea I remember that. I'm not saying I would do it, but its great to find out what the limits are. Seems like it would be something like 20k when its said and done.
    To put this in perspective, most cars running these types of transmissions buy 2 or more for the "team". It's not that there are reliability issues, it's that you don't want to have a reliability issue so you send them for inspection at service intervals. The same way that race engine life is measured in hours, these transmissions are monitored in loaded mile intervals.

What do you gain? Well with an N/A car, I know of one example that quoted 0.2 seconds per lap. That was after adding the 50 Lb ballast penalty....so I would say it was a pretty good chunk of time on an endurance car.

For reference: Probably the most technically advanced and radical BMW race car ever built in my opinion was George Plasa's. Sure there is some really trick stuff to come out of BMW Motorsport....but they were rules limited. George's team was able to go all out on aero, suspension, and drivetrain. RIP George. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

just when i got rid if this itch you guys post up more s54 dogbox!

if you were occasionally taking it out on the the streets (say a couple hour or so a weekend) could you get some longevity out of a quaife bolted to 550rwtq s54?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by wtfmateim65 Click here to enlarge
    ....Im hesitant leaving 6mt for DCTs,PDKs and such but if sequential were readily available on more cars i'd ditch the manual in a heartbeat!
    PEI, would you happen to know of any DCT/PDK adaptations to the S54 that would work (have worked successfully) on the street and also happen to hold 800whp/600wtq ?

I AM actively looking to move away from 6mt into an ideally high performance streetable auto trans.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dragosid Click here to enlarge
    would you happen to know of any DCT/PDK adaptations to the S54 that would work (have worked successfully) on the street and also happen to hold 800whp/600wtq ?
    There aren't any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast