Close

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: N54 top mount?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you going to open up the inlet and outlet of the HPFP to see if this is the limitation?
    I would, but there's actually a $50 core charge on the stupid thing . I mean, are they going to hit it with some Windex and give it to some other poor slob. LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    You should have took it to the dealer and asked for the HPFP recall work to be done just to see their faces, lol.
    Haha, they should just be happy I fixed the wastegate rattle myself.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)

Are you going to open up the inlet and outlet of the HPFP to see if this is the limitation?

I wish it were that simple. I have taken apart and its not so easy to just open up the inlet and outlet. The way it is made, there are passages that run from the inlet and no way to access them. If you tried to open it up and one silver of metal got in there, the pump is done. Its a PITA. I have contacted 2 HPFP companies. Neither one showed any interest
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N55 World Record: 477WHP / 509WTQ, 11.4 ET / 123MPH
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 645WHP / 654WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 573WHP / 537WTQ
    Website - Email

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    That would be priceless! LOL
    Actually, they charge a $160ish diagnostic fee for just looking at it and then denying coverage...SMH
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Well, I don't think he's trying to make a warranty claim. Lol

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Actually, they charge a $160ish diagnostic fee for just looking at it and then denying coverage...SMH
    09 e92 335i, 440HP/500TQ: SOLD
    03 EVO 8, 600HP/500TQ: SOLD
    13 Nissan Maxima: Slow
    99 Eclipse GSX: Almost done

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by boosted-M http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/bu...post-right.png

I wish it were that simple. I have taken apart and its not so easy to just open up the inlet and outlet. The way it is made, there are passages that run from the inlet and no way to access them. If you tried to open it up and one silver of metal got in there, the pump is done. Its a PITA. I have contacted 2 HPFP companies. Neither one showed any interest
    OK, do you have any other ideas..?
    335XI 6AT 11.87 @ 118mph

AR 3" Catless DP's | ER FMIC, CP & Tial Q BOV | BMS DCI | Cobb AP | KW V3's | 19" E92 M3 Wheels | M3 Suspenion Bits |

For Sale:

- AEM Meth injection system with 5 gal tank
    - NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)

OK, do you have any other ideas..?
    I've got a great idea, get a company that upgrades HPFP's to step up. Unfortunately for whatever reason, they don't seem to interested. Not sure why
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N55 World Record: 477WHP / 509WTQ, 11.4 ET / 123MPH
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 645WHP / 654WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 573WHP / 537WTQ
    Website - Email

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

335XI 6AT 11.87 @ 118mph

AR 3" Catless DP's | ER FMIC, CP & Tial Q BOV | BMS DCI | Cobb AP | KW V3's | 19" E92 M3 Wheels | M3 Suspenion Bits |

For Sale:

- AEM Meth injection system with 5 gal tank
    - NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    @Eleventeen , looking over this setup again, how much clearance do you have up top from the turbo to the strut tower body of the car? Doesn't look like much is left there...Have you considered motor movement and the turbo housing hitting the body there when going WOT or bouncing from part to full load at higher boost? If you wouldn't mind possibly taking a pic of the space there I really wonder...maybe 1/4" left in between?
    Here's a picture of the turbo next to the inner fender. It's pretty close, but no sign of contact. I don't think the N54 motor mounts allow much movement.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)

Looks fine to me...you have a heat sleeve for the turbine housing? DEI makes some of the best
    Porsche 997.1/997.2, BMW N54/N55 Performance and Custom COBB Tuning Experts
    Home of the World's Fastest BMW N54s, N55s
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Looks fine to me...you have a heat sleeve for the turbine housing? DEI makes some of the best
    I do, but I don't have it wired on since it fits nice and snug. I can easily pull it off when needed, though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cp-e does hpfp's... i thought they looked into it and gave up i could be wrong tho
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I got the meth hooked back up. Here are a couple logs @ 15 and 16 psi respectively, w/ about a 65% meth concentration running a single CM10. This is w/ a JB4 G5 and manual boost controller:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I imagine that has got to pull pretty nice. Hopefully Terry works out the JB4 boost control, looks like that mbc is not letting you have alot of fun.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I imagine that has got to pull pretty nice. Hopefully Terry works out the JB4 boost control, looks like that mbc is not letting you have alot of fun.
    It's holding boost nicely. An EBC would be cool, but I figured you'd throw a cell if you controlled boost independently of the DME. How did you get around this (or perhaps made the JB and MBC match to avoid said conflict)?
    E92 - Enhanced by BMS, Cobb, Helix, Wavetrac, e85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    It's holding boost nicely. An EBC would be cool, but I figured you'd throw a cell if you controlled boost independently of the DME. How did you get around this (or perhaps made the JB and MBC match to avoid said conflict)?
    I believe he is setting his mbc to target the same psi in the jb4. Its holding boost a little too nicely, throttle closures and severe overboost post shift.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    The G5 ISO keeps the DME happy by feeding showing it exactly what it wants to see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I believe he is setting his mbc to target the same psi in the jb4. Its holding boost a little too nicely, throttle closures and severe overboost post shift.
    I haven't played around with the boost control too much, but I will eventually move boost control over to the JB4. A 3 psi spike at the shift isn't too bad for a turbo car running an automatic trans (since it induces a sudden RPM drop), but the DME doesn't like it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)

Its working out well actually. One of the options for external wg tuning for me was actually exactly like this although with an EBC. Set Cobb's load to what I need and set the controller to what is expected by Cobb's load curve. Not perfect but works.

@Eleventeen you just need to raise the boost target on the JB a little to get rid of those mid pull throttle closures.
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Its working out well actually. One of the options for external wg tuning for me was actually exactly like this although with an EBC. Set Cobb's load to what I need and set the controller to what is expected by Cobb's load curve. Not perfect but works.

@Eleventeen you just need to raise the boost target on the JB a little to get rid of those mid pull throttle closures.
    I guess i've been spoiled, i've never had that issue using NLS on any of the turbo cars i've owned - even shifting as fast as 75ms. Then again, i suppose the Cobb boost curve im currently using helps considering it tapers so much up top vs where it falls post shift being that it can jump a few psi immediately and still be near target.

@Eleventeen . If you were to punch it at say... 2k RPM, does the JB4 ISO prevent the DME from popping an underboost code because of the lag?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)

He just needs to dial the jb in for that low rpm range slow ramp up to keep dme happy
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I guess i've been spoiled, i've never had that issue using NLS on any of the turbo cars i've owned - even shifting as fast as 75ms. Then again, i suppose the Cobb boost curve im currently using helps considering it tapers so much up top vs where it falls post shift being that it can jump a few psi immediately and still be near target.

@Eleventeen . If you were to punch it at say... 2k RPM, does the JB4 ISO prevent the DME from popping an underboost code because of the lag?
    Like Dzenno said, the JB4 G5 is able to keep the DME happy. In all honesty though, if I punch it earlier in the RPM, this turbo starts making positive manifold pressure under 2000 RPM. When I first istalled the turbo, I started off using the regular JB4 (before upgrading to the JB4 G5) and only got one 30FF code.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I was wondering what was causing that. Now that I think about it, I did forget to bump target up when I adjusted the MBC. I'll give that a shot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)

Have not been reading the thread but if you need any help on the tuning end just email me. Since the JB4 is not running boost you'll need to set its target to something close to where you have the MBC set, maybe slightly higher, to avoid unwanted throttle closure. But low enough the throttle does close if you start to spike. Still waiting for a single turbo car to appear locally so we can work out the boost control logic. Should be pretty easy. Maybe at some point I'll just start working with you on it remotely so we can make some positive progress there. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Like Dzenno said, the JB4 G5 is able to keep the DME happy. In all honesty though, if I punch it earlier in the RPM, this turbo starts making positive manifold pressure under 2000 RPM. When I first istalled the turbo, I started off using the regular JB4 (before upgrading to the JB4 G5) and only got one 30FF code.
    Yeah, you really don't need a JB4 or a G5 to pull this off. A basic TMAP voltage clamp might also work as a 30FF/limp code won't trigger immediately. It takes a while under WOT to get it to trigger. You could probably even use a JB+ to pull off the DME "fooling" part of it LOL
    www.protuningfreaks.com

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast