Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm amazed you kept quiet this long.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by wtfmateim65 Click here to enlarge
    That is almost too awesome. You are a beast! Did you use any computer modeling or anything to mock everything up!? I find this more impressive than the vishnu kit haha. How does it sound compared to the stock/FBO n54?
    Haha, nooooo. I don't think I even drew anything out. That would have been really awesome, though.

The exhaust note sounds better than stock. In fact, I just had a girl complement me on how the car sounds the other day. That's pretty good considering how little attention most girls pay to that sort of thing. However, when the WG opens, it's almost offensive. It's loud and pretty ridiculous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm amazed you kept quiet this long.
    I'll let you know as soon as the tranny vaporizes. 6AT... Oh god, what was I thinking?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    finished product looks beautiful, I'm more suprised that no one caught wind of this mani awhile ago.
    eleventeen slipped a picture of this beauty after one of my post asking what kind of mani people were looking for. Great job eleventeen

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That looks awesome, and congrats on keeping it quiet but more importantly, getting it running! Manifold is sexy for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is really cool....congrats on the patience it took to get this to where it is.
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice work indeed. What was the total $ and time invested?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    This was all done in my garage / driveway at home (except for one aluminum piece that I was not equipped to weld). I basically built it all with my mig welder, miter saw, drill press, and angle grinder.
    That is the way to do it. All readily available tools, some time, a lot of patience and a good amount of skill. Most people get nervous bolting in replacement OEM parts. They have a shop install all of their upgrades. You MIG welded an exhaust manifold. I respect the way you took what seems to most an overwhelming project, and broke it down into manageable pieces. The epitome of problem solving. Most people can't do that.

This project is a perfect example that you don't need exotic tools or some unachievable amount of skill to be successful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Outstanding work, that manifold looks like it may flow more air than the Vishnu one... I bet it's pretty responsive with a GT3582R hanging off of it. I wish I had the room in my garage for this sort of work :/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is pretty crazy! Very nice for home made work.
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Vids or ban, much respect man. Love homebuilt projects.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome build, huge respect for DIY'ing this! Subbing for more updates on tuning Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the filter size and placement. There wasn't enough room to go down to the front bumper (charge pipe going to the intercooler is in the way), but eventually I would like to run a pipe across the top of the radiator and over to the cold side of the engine. I'll have to get creative with that though, because there isn't much room going over the cooling fan. I will need to mold some kind of custom tube or use oval pipe.
    That filter and placement is bad at all. On these cars with the limited room you need to make decisions based on the space available. From what I can see, looks awesome.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 12-20-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn, I have a turbo for sale that has the same exact .82 but it's DBB and is billet 3586r. 750HP and spools about as fast as a journal bearing not billet 3582r. You'd have to swap exhaust housings I think but it would be sick on the I6 for sure!!!!!
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here's more info on the build. I am not associated with any shops or fabricators, and I'm not a fabricator myself; this is just a personal project I wanted to do. This was all done in my garage / driveway at home (except for one aluminum piece that I was not equipped to weld). I basically built it all with my mig welder, miter saw, drill press, and angle grinder. Most of the photos were taken during the fabrication and mock-up process. I didn't take the time to get any photos of the manifold after finish welding, but with my welding skills, it's probably better that way! Oh well, the turbo hasn't fallen off yet, so...

My objective is not to run crazy HP with this turbo. Right now I am simply shooting for about 550 whp on meth and/or race gas with good spool up. However, the manifold was designed to support more than that. I probably could have shortened everything up a bit for faster spool, but I wanted to maintain good flow. Once I get everything dialed in, I will hit the local dyno to get some numbers. As of now, I have no dyno charts or time slips to show. http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Construction:

The manifold assembly is actually 3 units consisting of 2 manifolds and an uppipe for a 6-2-1 configuration. The pieces are constructed of 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 schedule 10 304 stainless weld fittings (actual inner diameter of 1.44" and 1.68" respectively). The flanges are CNC cut 5/16" stainless steel purchased from www.sikky.com. The collectors are a flat 3 into 1 configuration merged at a gentle 44* overall angle. The O2 sensors are placed in their respective banks after the collectors, in the uppipe, several inches before the final merge into the turbo. The uppipe mounts a 44mm Tial wastegate (dumped to atmosphere).

The downpipe is 3" 16ga 304 stainless. I incorporated a flex section to reduce stress on the system. Since it's a single DP into a dual exhaust, a short Y-pipe was necessary. I made that a modular piece so that the DP can be removed by simply decoupling a V-band without having to remove the flange bolts, gaskets, and rear O2 sensors. This also allows the DP to be pulled out though the top, rather than having to put the car several feet in the air to remove from underneath.

Turbo Specs:

Garrett GT3582R with Tial .82 A/R v-band exhaust housing. Compressor side is the large T04Z housing with 4" inlet / 2.5" outlet. This turbo is rated at about 600hp max, but will be a bit less with the mid-sized exhaust housing.

Tuning:

Currently running a flat 12psi from about 3200-7000 rpm. JB4 G5 is active, but not controlling boost at the moment. I will integrate that eventually. I already did a little experimenting (without the guidance of Terry) and the JB4 was controlling boost within about 1 psi of target. However, boost was spiking pretty high during shifts. That was WITHOUT any firmaware changes to the JB4, so some adjustments will go a long way. The principle is pretty simple: Instead of using vacuum to pull the wastegate shut, you just use boost to push the wastegate shut (using the top port on the external WG). Plenty of time to mess with that later, but first I need to get the BMS flash to straighten out my fuel trims.

Pictures:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...35598656-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...35598669-1.jpg

http://www.bimmerboost.com/image.php...ine=1270779103
    Must give you a lot of props man. Very nice job...Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is SO badass!!!! I'm so jealous right now. A top mount ST N54 wow! Thoroughly impressed.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great work! If I had any welding skills, I would've done something like this on my mustang and e92. One question though, where did you relocate the ww fluid filler neck/reservoir? Again great job, I love seeing DIY projects!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First off, congratulations on this.

MUST POST VIDEO Click here to enlarge Again, congratulations on this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is really cool, saw your post on N54tech and posted there as well.

How long did the project take you? Also, how does it drive compared to stock?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is awesome... nice job!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This was all done in my garage / driveway at home (except for one aluminum piece that I was not equipped to weld). I basically built it all with my mig welder, miter saw, drill press, and angle grinder. Most of the photos were taken during the fabrication and mock-up process.
    Hail to the king, baby! Doing a DIY ST topmount in the driveway, nbd. Hats off, that's some serious badassery you produced, the likes of which I could only dream of doing on my own! Click here to enlarge Now let's see how it does with some tuning! Given that you will have the Cobb, why not see how far you can get with it before using the JB4? Isolated boost control will certainly be useful, but to have everything else running smoothly through the DME would just be amazing...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Super sick! Now let's see some vids!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    And just a small correction to your post, the biggest difference between the solid thinking set up of a boost actuated wastegate and these N54 Vacuum actuated ones is. A normal gate is held closed at all times, until desired boost pressure is reached then the boost actuates on the arm pushing it open the gate to keep it in check. The dumb yes I said it dumb N54 way is to keep the gate and flapper open a majority of the time and pulls it closed when the DME sees what it needs to using the vacuum chambers and solenoids. Why is this dumb? Well first off you have a flapper that spins and has to has some decent clearances to avoid heat expansion and seizing up. So when you have 1700 degree exhaust gases flowing past it all the time cause its open they rattle and wear and do all sorts of dumb $#@!. I am even worried about it on the GTX's we have no idea how they are going to like being open most of the time. We shall see. Just wanted to throw this in cause you said vacuum pulls the wastegate shut and boost pushes it shut. In reality vacuum pulls it shut and a boost actuated one the boost pushes it open. Once someone can get the DME to like a boost operated wastegate situation we will all be better for it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is sick! Now go make a couple more manifolds and sell them for $1000 each. $$$ in the bank!
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In the garage at home. LMAO, where have you been? This guy is a prophet for the n54 LOL.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast