Close

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: N54 top mount?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, I didn't post anything before it was finished just in case it caught fire or something LOL. I've been driving it for several weeks now. After the holidays I will order the BMS flash and start raising boost.
    stop $#@!in wit me..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    stop $#@!in wit me..
    I still work up in Lumberton if you're around. Once I get some tuning on it, we should hit up Undercover's dyno.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

At first I thought this was a top mount intercooler thread for the N54 and I was about to kick someone's ass...
    2007 335i (100% stock with mods)

N54 is not a German 2JZ lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Damn, looks awesome. Your going with BMS tuning?

And yeah, i thought this was a top-mount intercooler as well Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Damn, looks awesome. Your going with BMS tuning?

And yeah, i thought this was a top-mount intercooler as well Click here to enlarge
    Yep, BMS. Currently running the JB4 G5 and a manual boost controller. Fuel trims look pretty messy, so a flash will be necessary for higher boost (Cobb w/ Terry's map).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yep, BMS. Currently running the JB4 G5 and a manual boost controller. Fuel trims look pretty messy, so a flash will be necessary for higher boost (Cobb w/ Terry's map).
    Very interesting, glad to see something out of the oridinary. Hood fits fine? Close? Heat soak from this setup?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Oh its you! Click here to enlarge nice man, very cool!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the filter size and placement. There wasn't enough room to go down to the front bumper (charge pipe going to the intercooler is in the way), but eventually I would like to run a pipe across the top of the radiator and over to the cold side of the engine. I'll have to get creative with that though, because there isn't much room going over the cooling fan. I will need to mold some kind of custom tube or use oval pipe.
    Cool kit man. Hella big turbo. Yeah I dont envy trying to figure out a better filter placement for that thing. Only the F30 N55 has decent hose routing to allow for the over the radiator deal. N54 has AC lines and everything else in the way. No room in there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    Very interesting, glad to see something out of the oridinary. Hood fits fine? Close? Heat soak from this setup?
    Yep, hood fits nicely. I was afraid I may have to go with a smaller compressor housing (GT30 HSG or T04E), but once I got everything mocked up, there was enough room for the larger compressor cover... 4" inlet / 2.5" outlet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yep, hood fits nicely. I was afraid I may have to go with a smaller compressor housing (GT30 HSG or T04E), but once I got everything mocked up, there was enough room for the larger compressor cover... 4" inlet / 2.5" outlet.
    Nice kit man. Do you have any pictures of the way the manifold is setup? If not is it tubular/log and are the banks separated? How are you running the O2 sensors?

Thank You

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Nice kit man. Do you have any pictures of the way the manifold is setup? If not is it tubular/log and are the banks separated? How are you running the O2 sensors?

Thank You
    I have some pics of everything tacked together and such. I'll post some up, just have to get them off of my phone. It's a 6-2-1 tubular design. The O2 sensors are mounted in their respective banks before the merge into the turbo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

That is seriously super badass how lowkey you were about it LOL. I was about to say after all that only a gt35? Until I read about the compressor size fitment after it was all mocked up. A nice Gtx37 would be tits.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    That is seriously super badass how lowkey you were about it LOL. I was about to say after all that only a gt35? Until I read about the compressor size fitment after it was all mocked up. A nice Gtx37 would be tits.
    I may have just been able to squeeze a GTX37 in, but I didn't want to risk any clearance issues. What I REALLY wanted was a BW EFR 7670, but there were none to be found at that point. I do like the GT3582 so far, but I honestly regret not going with the GTX version. However, it's a very easy upgrade for the future and it's rated for a lot more HP in the same frame.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

This is amazing, my hat's off to you sir!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see this in my future.
    respect for trying the setup!

this is only the beginning for big singles on the n54!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Sorry for partially outing you. Click here to enlarge Looks promising though. Can't wait to get going on stronger tuning.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

I may have just been able to squeeze a GTX37 in, but I didn't want to risk any clearance issues. What I REALLY wanted was a BW EFR 7670, but there were none to be found at that point. I do like the GT3582 so far, but I honestly regret not going with the GTX version. However, it's a very easy upgrade for the future and it's rated for a lot more HP in the same frame.
    Man, an EFR in that would be awesome. Size on the other hand might be an issue considering the EFR is BIG lol. Do you have a BOV with this set up or is it recirc still? It will be an easy swap for a GTX series but hey maybe the EFR will be available by then Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Epic dude. I'll subscribe.. go Eleventeen! You da man! Always great to see a different custom job. Good luck man, hope everything works out well for ya. Smart that you're playing it safe for now.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Sorry for partially outing you. Click here to enlarge Looks promising though. Can't wait to get going on stronger tuning.
    No problem at all. I've been tempted to post for a couple of months, but didn't want to create ANOTHER vaporware thread. Now that it's been running for about a month I can safely say it works. Just a matter of pushing the envelope and working out any bugs that may arise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks! I don't have the support of a fab shop or full-time access to a dyno, so I have to take baby steps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Man, an EFR in that would be awesome. Size on the other hand might be an issue considering the EFR is BIG lol. Do you have a BOV with this set up or is it recirc still? It will be an easy swap for a GTX series but hey maybe the EFR will be available by then Click here to enlarge
    Yep, I have the CP-e chargepipe with Tial BOV to atmosphere.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I saw the pictures on n54tech, my mind is blown lol. Repped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Oh its you! Click here to enlarge nice man, very cool!
    Thanks! I have to admit, after seeing your latest dyno results I started thinking maybe I should have just gone w/ RB's haha. Hopefully this will make for a good highway screamer, even if it doesn't have the low-end grunt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

10 out of 10 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Here's more info on the build. I am not associated with any shops or fabricators, and I'm not a fabricator myself; this is just a personal project I wanted to do. This was all done in my garage / driveway at home (except for one aluminum piece that I was not equipped to weld). I basically built it all with my mig welder, miter saw, drill press, and angle grinder. Most of the photos were taken during the fabrication and mock-up process. I didn't take the time to get any photos of the manifold after finish welding, but with my welding skills, it's probably better that way! Oh well, the turbo hasn't fallen off yet, so...

My objective is not to run crazy HP with this turbo. Right now I am simply shooting for about 550 whp on meth and/or race gas with good spool up. However, the manifold was designed to support more than that. I probably could have shortened everything up a bit for faster spool, but I wanted to maintain good flow. Once I get everything dialed in, I will hit the local dyno to get some numbers. As of now, I have no dyno charts or time slips to show. Click here to enlarge

Construction:

The manifold assembly is actually 3 units consisting of 2 manifolds and an uppipe for a 6-2-1 configuration. The pieces are constructed of 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 schedule 10 304 stainless weld fittings (actual inner diameter of 1.44" and 1.68" respectively). The flanges are CNC cut 5/16" stainless steel purchased from www.sikky.com. The collectors are a flat 3 into 1 configuration merged at a gentle 44* overall angle. The O2 sensors are placed in their respective banks after the collectors, in the uppipe, several inches before the final merge into the turbo. The uppipe mounts a 44mm Tial wastegate (dumped to atmosphere).

The downpipe is 3" 16ga 304 stainless. I incorporated a flex section to reduce stress on the system. Since it's a single DP into a dual exhaust, a short Y-pipe was necessary. I made that a modular piece so that the DP can be removed by simply decoupling a V-band without having to remove the flange bolts, gaskets, and rear O2 sensors. This also allows the DP to be pulled out though the top, rather than having to put the car several feet in the air to remove from underneath.

Turbo Specs:

Garrett GT3582R with Tial .82 A/R v-band exhaust housing. Compressor side is the large T04Z housing with 4" inlet / 2.5" outlet. This turbo is rated at about 600hp max, but will be a bit less with the mid-sized exhaust housing.

Tuning:

Currently running a flat 12psi from about 3200-7000 rpm. JB4 G5 is active, but not controlling boost at the moment. I will integrate that eventually. I already did a little experimenting (without the guidance of Terry) and the JB4 was controlling boost within about 1 psi of target. However, boost was spiking pretty high during shifts. That was WITHOUT any firmaware changes to the JB4, so some adjustments will go a long way. The principle is pretty simple: Instead of using vacuum to pull the wastegate shut, you just use boost to push the wastegate shut (using the top port on the external WG). Plenty of time to mess with that later, but first I need to get the BMS flash to straighten out my fuel trims.

Pictures:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That is almost too awesome. You are a beast! Did you use any computer modeling or anything to mock everything up!? I find this more impressive than the vishnu kit haha. How does it sound compared to the stock/FBO n54?
    2007 AW/Beige E92 335i 6MT / JB4 / E85 BB backend / IC / DCI / DPs / ER CP / Forge DVs / Meth(off) / 335is/550i Clutch / MFactory Steel SMFW / NGK Step Colder Plugs / BMS SSK/UUC KNOB / M3 Front Control Arms / Solid rear arms / Tein SS-P Coilovers / M4 18" in PSS

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast