Close

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: N54 top mount?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I like FFTEC's manifolds but for my needs I'd love a simple log manifold w/ large internal wastegate turbo. Something to support 600whp @ 5000rpm would be just fine. Then we just need to find a way to merge the o2 banks and we're in business with simple large turbo kits. Click here to enlarge
    why internal wastegate, from what i know external is better and more durable

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

would like to see n54 with 76mm turbo, so we can hit 700+ rwhp on pump gas

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

a simple log cast mani should work just fine for us. supras use them and get plenty of HP 800+ whp. Obviously a fancy twin scroll is better but the cost is much more and a harder install from what I understand.

Even if it isn't cast it's got to be a lot less expensive.

Vargas make a top mount and sell both.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I like FFTEC's manifolds but for my needs I'd love a simple log manifold w/ large internal wastegate turbo. Something to support 600whp @ 5000rpm would be just fine. Then we just need to find a way to merge the o2 banks and we're in business with simple large turbo kits. Click here to enlarge
    I agree 100%. The simplicity would be very attractive and I'm sure price point even moreso. For only 600hp a log design should work fine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Terry if you are interested in building something like that, we can discuss and make if happen for you. Let me know.

Tony
    this is the best Idea. simplicity and lower cost

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    I agree 100%. The simplicity would be very attractive and I'm sure price point even moreso. For only 600hp a log design should work fine.
    Log design is not bad at all. They're running log design on cobalt SS 898 whp. so I'm sure for the n54 it wouldn't be a problem. I was running 500-550 crankhp with my EFR stock exhaust manifold from factory.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    a simple log cast mani should work just fine for us. supras use them and get plenty of HP 800+ whp. Obviously a fancy twin scroll is better but the cost is much more and a harder install from what I understand.

Even if it isn't cast it's got to be a lot less expensive.

Vargas make a top mount and sell both.
    I agree, but the problem is keeping he banks separated so you can place the 02s pre-turbo.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    I agree, but the problem is keeping the banks separated so you can place the 02s pre-turbo.
    Excuse my lack of experience on this subject. Is it right that the DME reads the AFR from the pre turbo 02s and then compares it to another o2 sensor in a downpipe or further down stream? Putting an 02 on the hotside of the turbo would reduce it's life considerably? How bad is considerably? 10k miles? If it was easy to change that wouldn't be a deal killer to me. $75 bucks a year and 10m worth of work would be fine but if it wasn't accessible and easy to get to that would be a deal killer...so could you use one o2 after the turbo and just fool the DME thinking it is two o2s in their own banks?

If anyone has any links for my reading about how the DME works I would like them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Excuse my lack of experience on this subject. Is it right that the DME reads the AFR from the pre turbo 02s and then compares it to another o2 sensor in a downpipe or further down stream? Putting an 02 on the hotside of the turbo would reduce it's life considerably? How bad is considerably? 10k miles? If it was easy to change that wouldn't be a deal killer to me. $75 bucks a year and 10m worth of work would be fine but if it wasn't accessible and easy to get to that would be a deal killer...so could you use one o2 after the turbo and just fool the DME thinking it is two o2s in their own banks?

If anyone has any links for my reading about how the DME works I would like them.
    I don't have the answers for you, but search here and the other forums (e90post, etc.) and you'll see that before Shiv/FFTEC made their manifold with the o2 separated like stock, no one successfully had a single turbo running right.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

UPDATE

Hey, I just wanted to update you on my project. For a couple of weeks, I was running things flash only which I got working well. However, there is an 18.5 psi limit running Cobb, so I am currently running my own backend flash via Cobb ATR stacked w/ JB4 G5. Boost is peaking around 22 psi with timing maxing out at 8 degrees. At the moment, fueling is not an issue; but octane is. I will be upping the meth mixture (and possibly adding another nozzle) so I can raise timing. My current meth setup is a singe CM10 nozzle running a 60/40 mixture. Fuel is 93 octane. I have several ugly logs, but after making some adjustments, this is where I am now:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I also really want to dyno the car to see what I'm putting down, but I can't get a hold of anyone at the few shops around me with a Dynojet. I may have to run it on a Mustang dyno, but that's not good for comparison purposes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Hey, I just wanted to update you on my project. For a couple of weeks, I was running things flash only which I got working well. However, there is an 18.5 psi limit running Cobb, so I am currently running my own backend flash via Cobb ATR stacked w/ JB4 G5. Boost is peaking around 22 psi with timing maxing out at 8 degrees. At the moment, fueling is not an issue; but octane is. I will be upping the meth mixture (and possibly adding another nozzle) so I can raise timing. My current meth setup is a singe CM10 nozzle running a 60/40 mixture. Fuel is 93 octane. I have several ugly logs, but after making some adjustments, this is where I am now:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I also really want to dyno the car to see what I'm putting down, but I can't get a hold of anyone at the few shops around me with a Dynojet. I may have to run it on a Mustang dyno, but that's not good for comparison purposes.

Awesome! keep it up. its so frustrating tryin to get in on a dyno, i hear ya. Cant wait for results
    PM sent
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Logs are looking pretty solid. Trims are awesome.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Time for more octane and more timing Click here to enlarge
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Logs are looking pretty solid. Trims are awesome.
    Yeah, the fuel system seems to be working pretty well. I can get trims even lower with the fuel scalars, but keeping them as close to zero as possible is probably ideal. These logs don't show fuel pressures, but I haven't seen any drops in other logs. The only fuel system mod I have so far is the Walbro 255 inline pump (installed in tank).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

I would just run E60 with meth and you'll have all the octane you need.

Meth and 93 wasn't enough even on stock turbos for me. Ethanol is magic.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    This thread was so much better then the expected lol at top mount intercooler.

Great work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    I would just run E60 with meth and you'll have all the octane you need.

Meth and 93 wasn't enough even on stock turbos for me. Ethanol is magic.
    Unfortunately, NJ only has 4 E85 stations in the entire state. One of them is about 25 mins away, but it's out in the woods so I never drive anywhere near it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

order it by the 55 gal drum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

then you could order e98 and use less than e85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Unfortunately, NJ only has 4 E85 stations in the entire state. One of them is about 25 mins away, but it's out in the woods so I never drive anywhere near it.
    That is close. My commute is 30-45 mins each way. Go once a week or buy a drum. It's cheaper than meth and has more octane.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Thats sick

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I want to get dyno numbers, but none of the local Dynojet shops will answer the phone or call me back. There is a Mustang dyno 1/2 a mile from my house, so I may have to settle for that. It doesn't really tell me anything, though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

I want to get dyno numbers, but none of the local Dynojet shops will answer the phone or call me back. There is a Mustang dyno 1/2 a mile from my house, so I may have to settle for that. It doesn't really tell me anything, though.
    Do they hate business or something?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Do they hate business or something?
    It seems that way. Maybe I'll just pop in on Saturday to see if anyone is around. The two shops aren't that far from each other.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Moving on...

Hey everyone, I just wanted to update this thread since most of these projects seem to quietly disappear into the night. I too have moved on (to another platform), so this project has concluded. I planned on doing a 6AT to 6MT transmission swap, but found that my engine was hurting. Cylinder#2 plug was coated in oil, and the car seemed to be losing coolant with no obvious leaks. Rather than building the engine and still having to address future trans issues on a 7 year old car, I considered moving up to a newer 335is 6MT and putting the single on that. Well, I ended up driving a CTS-V and liking it a lot more than I expected. In addition, it's a bolt-on 10 second car with the right combo, so I'll be spending most of my time over on CaddyBoost now Click here to enlarge Anyway, I had a lot of fun; but it was A LOT of hard work. After messing around with the tuning for a while, I ended up putting down 570whp / 484wtq with 93 + meth through the stock DP back exhaust. Afterward, I changed from the 1.03 A/R housing to a .82 housing and continued to tweak the tune a little bit, but didn't re-dyno.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...0+single+turbo

Throughout the project, I have gotten a lot of PM's with questions from people having a custom setup built, or building their own. Feel free to keep them coming and I will try to help if possible. I reverted my car back to stock before trading it in, so I will probably throw a "for sale" thread up soon for anyone who may be interested in a cheap turbo kit.

Thanks for following along!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast