Close

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: N54 top mount?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, you really don't need a JB4 or a G5 to pull this off. A basic TMAP voltage clamp might also work as a 30FF/limp code won't trigger immediately. It takes a while under WOT to get it to trigger. You could probably even use a JB+ to pull off the DME "fooling" part of it LOL
    Definitely need a G5 ISO or procede to pull it off properly.

If boost is not within 1/3psi after a plausible spool range you'll get a limp. And boost moves around a lot based on baro, weather, IAT, DTC, etc, even with a low fixed load target. You could set the load targets all to say 4psi and run a 3.75psi map clamp but then you'd loose the throttle control and run in to various other issues as boost target will still vary itself even at a low load like that. Also, if the DME is no longer aware of true load you need to alter the fuel pressure signal back as a function of actual load vs. DME observed load to keep the fuel trims in range. Not to mention you need the piggyback to also spoof the no longer functional wastegate solenoid load or you'll get an instant limp there too.

Your best best if you wanted to try to tune a single via flash only would be to use the factory solenoids and inverse several of the tables. It could work in theory if Cobb made a few changes but IMHO total waste of time. It would never be as good as the simple external solution.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 02-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Have not been reading the thread but if you need any help on the tuning end just email me. Since the JB4 is not running boost you'll need to set its target to something close to where you have the MBC set, maybe slightly higher, to avoid unwanted throttle closure. But low enough the throttle does close if you start to spike. Still waiting for a single turbo car to appear locally so we can work out the boost control logic. Should be pretty easy. Maybe at some point I'll just start working with you on it remotely so we can make some positive progress there. Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Terry. I'm still getting that misfire on cylinder 6 with new injector / coding, plug, coil, HPFP. I'm thinking of replacing the coil driver and injector driver transistors in the DME to see if that works. However, everyone else who has done that had a complete component failure, whereas I am only having an interemittent issue. Not sure if there is any such thing as a "weak" (but not fully compromised) transistor. Can that be? Or do they just crap out suddenly and completely?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Terry. I'm still getting that misfire on cylinder 6 with new injector / coding, plug, coil, HPFP. I'm thinking of replacing the coil driver and injector driver transistors in the DME to see if that works. However, everyone else who has done that had a complete component failure, whereas I am only having an interemittent issue. Not sure if there is any such thing as a "weak" (but not fully compromised) transistor. Can that be? Or do they just crap out suddenly and completely?
    Doubtful there. They normally work or don't work. Leak down in that cyl was within spec? Option B is to just disable misfire detection... Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Doubtful there. They normally work or don't work. Leak down in that cyl was within spec? Option B is to just disable misfire detection... Click here to enlarge
    Yeah, forgot to mention leakdown AND compression tests were consistent between cylinders. I also cleaned the intake valves.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Turbo lag?

I did a 6th gear pull just to test the best spool possible from this turbo. With current "tuning" it doesn't look too bad. Hitting 10 psi by ~2900 RPM and full boost (14 psi at current setting) by about 3200 RPM Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Nice spool. It is knocking multiple times in that pull.
    700 and change

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Nice build dude!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Nice spool. It is knocking multiple times in that pull.
    Yes that log has a unhappy timing curve, a question to the OP has Terry seen any logs? @Terry@BMS?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Less laggy than I thought it would be. Congrats
    2011 335is DCT, collecting parts....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    You should have took it to the dealer and asked for the HPFP recall work to be done just to see their faces, lol.
    I actually did that LOL... Was pretty priceless. 3/4 of the techs at a fairly large dealership crowded around car.
    Click here to enlarge
    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ar design Click here to enlarge
    I actually did that LOL... Was pretty priceless. 3/4 of the techs at a fairly large dealership crowded around car.

Haha... makes me look forward to the new battery cable recall that just came out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

delete
    Last edited by enrita; 02-22-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Mini-update

New manifold w/ better o2 sensor placement. I invented a multi-chambered sensor tube to divert gases to the sensor for fast response, while keeping them cooler. The way they work is: Positive pressure gas is diverted into the first chamber which travels down the tube to the sensor, croses over to the second chamber, and is drawn back out by the low pressure zone behind the tab, which is created by the exhaust gases flowing over and around the tab. This is pending patent, pending, the application to be filed for future patent of the pending state (don't sell my $#@! LOL)... But seriously, I call dibbs.

Also, please be nice regarding my TIG welding "skills"; I have never tigged until about 2 months ago Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

New manifold w/ better o2 sensor placement. I invented a multi-chambered sensor tube to divert gases to the sensor for fast response, while keeping them cooler. The way they work is: Positive pressure gas is diverted into the first chamber which travels down the tube to the sensor, croses over to the second chamber, and is drawn back out by the low pressure zone behind the tab, which is created by the exhaust gases flowing over and around the tab. This is pending patent, pending, the application to be filed for future patent of the pending state (don't sell my $#@! LOL)... But seriously, I call dibbs.

Also, please be nice regarding my TIG welding "skills"; I have never tigged until about 2 months ago Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I talked to a company who was making N54 single cast manifolds about 6 months ago, and I asked them about keeping O2's alive pre-turbo. They basically described what you just did to me, special chamber to get the exhaust gas to the sensor quickly while also keeping it cool. Sounded like a good idea, I am not sure what they did with it. But they already had manifold cast and testing with the tubes as he sent me pics. If they didn'ty patent it, $#@! make it yours!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Cool idea! Click here to enlarge

(pun intended)
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I talked to a company who was making N54 single cast manifolds about 6 months ago, and I asked them about keeping O2's alive pre-turbo. They basically described what you just did to me, special chamber to get the exhaust gas to the sensor quickly while also keeping it cool. Sounded like a good idea, I am not sure what they did with it. But they already had manifold cast and testing with the tubes as he sent me pics. If they didn'ty patent it, $#@! make it yours!!
    It's cool, I also have an idea for a blanket with sleeves that I think will make me Millions!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

It's cool, I also have an idea for a blanket with sleeves that I think will make me Millions!
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

In for a pink blanket with sleeves. It gets cold in Wisconsin and I'd totally rock one while driving the car.
    Single Turbo E92 BMW 335i | My YouTube channel
    Click here to enlarge
    If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn....... Then, you have enough horsepower.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

9 out of 9 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Mini Update II

I got the hot parts back from coating. I'm currently working on reassembling everything and hope to have it up and running next weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

I got the hot parts back from coating. I'm currently working on reassembling everything and hope to have it up and running next weekend.
    That looks beautiful...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Wow, sexy.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Thanks, guys. Had to stop working on the car today to go out to dinner. The steakhouse is packed!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Looks great man

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Sweet work! I see you didn't coat the o2 tubes, was gonna recommend that haha. If it works, awesome! I am concerned with the high exhaust velocity at high rpm and the sharp turn it will have to make, but you don't need much you just need enough quickly for a measurement. The idea is solid though and gives me some ideas too! Excellent work!

I would love to learn tig, I only know mig and my welds aren't always artful lol. But no breaks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Sweet work! I see you didn't coat the o2 tubes, was gonna recommend that haha. If it works, awesome! I am concerned with the high exhaust velocity at high rpm and the sharp turn it will have to make, but you don't need much you just need enough quickly for a measurement. The idea is solid though and gives me some ideas too! Excellent work!

I would love to learn tig, I only know mig and my welds aren't always artful lol. But no breaks!
    Thanks! Yeah, should only need a small sample of gases for the widebands to do their thing. Since exhaust travels in pulses, there should be a pushing and sucking effect (insert joke here) on flow through the tubes. That should prevent residual readings on any stagnant gases. That's the hope, anyway...

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast