Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Aggressive tires.

Today i pulled the trigger on some toyo r888's. I have stock suspension. with 18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear currently running 255/35 front and 285/30 rear. This car has so much grip now its incredible. i will get some pictures tomorrow but as of now no rub or scraping. and this is without rolled or pulled fenders...
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    ive heard great things about these R888's. only downfall is lifespan and humming at 80+ mph. is that true? Im keeping an eye for a set to mount myself

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

I would've probably went with a 275/30 in the rear. To really take advantage of the extra width you'd need at least a 10.5" wide wheel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    r888 do buzz a bit on the highway but not too bad over the sound of my straight pipes lol. also i understand that 285 is wider than 9.5 but that is the widest tire toyo suggests for my wheel so i went with it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wonder how these compare to PSS? I love the super sports, but wonder if I can get more traction in first with r888.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    people I know who've run R888s were lucky to get more than 5k out of them. Also, goes without saying but scary in anything more than "damp" conditions. Either way, tons of grip out of the box, though they are DOT legal they are not "street" tires in the traditional sense.
    -Brian

BMWCCA 444282

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Wonder how these compare to PSS? I love the super sports, but wonder if I can get more traction in first with r888.
    They are completely different tires...one is a "cheater" DOT tire and the other is a true road tire. Depends on what you'd be using them for - for maximum grip, the R888 wins, but a lot of compromises to be made street driving.
    -Brian

BMWCCA 444282

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moved to wheels/tires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have had pss and r888 are far better

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm still having a bit of trouble with traction on PSS (275/30/19) even after my Wavetrac install. I mean the diff hooks and it pushes forward, but it's still spinning nonetheless. If I punch it in second at 3-4k rpms, it spins pretty good; it was undrivable before the Wavetrac though.

I'm contemplating a new tire, but it's hard to beat the lifespan and bad-weather-friendly-ness of the PSS. :/ I had no idea the R888 had such poor traction in the wet and short lifespan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    I had no idea the R888 had such poor traction in the wet and short lifespan.
    Well R888's are basically streetlegal trackday tires, they are not meant to last a long time.
    And due to hardly any thread it must not come to a surprise they can not handle wet conditions well.
    Also, they do require a certain operating temperature to become sticky...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'm still having a bit of trouble with traction on PSS (275/30/19) even after my Wavetrac install. I mean the diff hooks and it pushes forward, but it's still spinning nonetheless. If I punch it in second at 3-4k rpms, it spins pretty good; it was undrivable before the Wavetrac though.

I'm contemplating a new tire, but it's hard to beat the lifespan and bad-weather-friendly-ness of the PSS. :/ I had no idea the R888 had such poor traction in the wet and short lifespan.
    There is really no cross-shopping r888s with PSS. They are completely different tires with completely different objectives. If you want more grip but to keep streetability, try something in between like an RE11 (expensive, grippy in the dry, excellent in the wet) or RS3 (cheap, best in the dry, so-so in the wet). Or for super cheap a Khumo Ecsta XS but those are worse in the wet than RS3s
    -Brian

BMWCCA 444282

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had no idea the R888 had such poor traction in the wet and short lifespan.
    Why wouldn't you? It's a race tire.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why wouldn't you? It's a race tire.
    I didn't know the R888 was a race tire. How about that for starters? Click here to enlarge I'm quite ignorant of tires by model/brand, hence me posting in this thread versus not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I didn't know the R888 was a race tire. How about that for starters? Click here to enlarge I'm quite ignorant of tires by model/brand, hence me posting in this thread versus not.
    For "high performance" summer tires there are basically 3 categories (as tire rack defines them)

Max performance summer: PSS, Conti Extremecontact DW, etc. Treadwear around 300. These are good daily driver tires for warm conditions (above lets say 45*F or so) and typically do pretty well in the rain.

Extreme performance summer: RE11, RS3, AD08, etc. Treadwear 150-180ish, these can be daily driven but do not last as long as the above category as they are much softer. Rain performance varies more tire to tire as these tires typically have larger treadblocks to increase contact patch and reduce tread deflection.

DOT track tires: R888, A048, A6/R6, etc. These usually have treadwear 100 or under, and while they are DOT approved for street use, they are typically used for competition/track/auto-x only. I know a couple of people who have driven them on the street, but their softness makes them puncture prone and you are basically wearing out an expensive set of tires just cruising around for the most part. Unless you are buying a rain tire, they also often come with warnings not to run them in the wet where standing water can occur since the tread is either shallow and sparse or nearly non existent like on the Hoosiers, which is at the expense of water evacuation.

For a car you drive only on the street that doesn't see track time or autox, I really don't see the point in getting anything more aggressive than the first "max performance" category - you really aren't going to push these tires limits (safely) on the street. If your car sees significant double duty, I'd go with extreme performance tires. On my old car which is double duty autox/weekend car I had RE11s and they were great. For DOT track tires I would personally bring them/trailer them to events and change them out there, or only drive them to and from events (depending on how far it was). For a car that primarily sees the street, I personally wouldn't run them no matter how deep my pockets were as they simply aren't made to be street tires. Again, this is my 2c, and coming from a non-drag racing background so idk what your goals are. YMMV
    -Brian

BMWCCA 444282

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^good post
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just for a reference I would use Kohmo Victoracers on my race car everyday. But I would only drive it occasionly, and to and from the track. Typically I would get 3-4 track days, a few autocrosses, with total driving being around 1200 miles. Note: there treadware was 60, which is HARD for a track tire.

Normal DD I LOVE the contanentals DSW.

AS I have said on MANY Boards " Friends don't let friends buy Michelins"

Over priced for sure, over rated IMHO, and NO ONE uses them for a track tire. Contantal star specs crush them on the track, and even my bridgestone 030 PP's were better.

Did I mention Michelins are over pricedClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Michelin makes a great tire but it is true they are expensive. I know people use PS2/PSS for a rain tire in autox. For my money, and for the street (and comparing apples to apples) I would prefer the extremecontact DW to pilot sports. The jist of it is the PSS are the better tire, but the extra cost doesn't justify the slight bump in performance. But I do have a buddy who couldn't be talked out of PSS and sure he got a great tire, and didn't care if it cost a bit more.

I still know of people using Pilot Sport Cups on the track just because they are familiar with them and aren't going for broke. Dunlop (not Conti) Star Specs are in the "extreme" performance category. They are not competing with any tire Michelin makes since Michelin only makes tires in the "max" category and then jump to the "DOT slick" category. So one would expect Star Specs to outperform on the track compared to pilot sports.
    -Brian

BMWCCA 444282

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BTM Click here to enlarge
    Michelin makes a great tire but it is true they are expensive. I know people use PS2/PSS for a rain tire in autox. For my money, and for the street (and comparing apples to apples) I would prefer the extremecontact DW to pilot sports. The jist of it is the PSS are the better tire, but the extra cost doesn't justify the slight bump in performance. But I do have a buddy who couldn't be talked out of PSS and sure he got a great tire, and didn't care if it cost a bit more.

I still know of people using Pilot Sport Cups on the track just because they are familiar with them and aren't going for broke. Dunlop (not Conti) Star Specs are in the "extreme" performance category. They are not competing with any tire Michelin makes since Michelin only makes tires in the "max" category and then jump to the "DOT slick" category. So one would expect Star Specs to outperform on the track compared to pilot sports.
    I hear you my friend. I was just stating that there are other tires, far cheaper, that work as well or better. YES the Michelin is a good tire, however I just hate wasting my money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Agreed, I wouldn't spend the money on new Michelins either. Luckily, I have friends who do and are somewhat of "tire whores" so I've been able to buy a couple of good condition used PS2s for cheap Click here to enlarge
    -Brian

BMWCCA 444282

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BTM Click here to enlarge
    For "high performance" summer tires there are basically 3 categories (as tire rack defines them)

Max performance summer: PSS, Conti Extremecontact DW, etc. Treadwear around 300. These are good daily driver tires for warm conditions (above lets say 45*F or so) and typically do pretty well in the rain.

Extreme performance summer: RE11, RS3, AD08, etc. Treadwear 150-180ish, these can be daily driven but do not last as long as the above category as they are much softer. Rain performance varies more tire to tire as these tires typically have larger treadblocks to increase contact patch and reduce tread deflection.

DOT track tires: R888, A048, A6/R6, etc. These usually have treadwear 100 or under, and while they are DOT approved for street use, they are typically used for competition/track/auto-x only. I know a couple of people who have driven them on the street, but their softness makes them puncture prone and you are basically wearing out an expensive set of tires just cruising around for the most part. Unless you are buying a rain tire, they also often come with warnings not to run them in the wet where standing water can occur since the tread is either shallow and sparse or nearly non existent like on the Hoosiers, which is at the expense of water evacuation.

For a car you drive only on the street that doesn't see track time or autox, I really don't see the point in getting anything more aggressive than the first "max performance" category - you really aren't going to push these tires limits (safely) on the street. If your car sees significant double duty, I'd go with extreme performance tires. On my old car which is double duty autox/weekend car I had RE11s and they were great. For DOT track tires I would personally bring them/trailer them to events and change them out there, or only drive them to and from events (depending on how far it was). For a car that primarily sees the street, I personally wouldn't run them no matter how deep my pockets were as they simply aren't made to be street tires. Again, this is my 2c, and coming from a non-drag racing background so idk what your goals are. YMMV
    Just a quick public service announcement about tread wear ratings. Tread wear ratings are not universal across brands, meaning that the COMPANY decides on what tread wear to issue to the tire, based upon perceived mileage it will last and a BS test. A 300 tread wear Michelin, will not compare to a 300 tread wear Continental and so on and so forth. Now a 300 tread wear Michelin compared to a 400 tread wear Michelin tells you that Michelin expects the 400 tread wear tire to last longer.

Most people don't know this, just thought i would throw it out there. The UTQG idea was great in theory, but flawed upon execution.

From Tire racks own website -
    "Unfortunately, the rating that is of the most interest to consumers is the one that appears to be the least consistent. While the Treadwear Grade was originally intended to be assigned purely scientifically, it has also become a marketing tool used by manufacturers to help position and promote their tires."

"Typically, comparing the Treadwear Grades of tire lines within a single brand is somewhat helpful, while attempting to compare the grades between different brands is not as helpful."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do yourself a favor and get a set of Nitto Nt05's Click here to enlarge For real tho an awesome all around performance tire they are in the MAX performance category and have a 200 Tread rating which isnt bad compared to an r888 or nt01. The sidewall is stiff and those big shoulders blocks give great steering/road feel. IMO best overall performance tire that is street able

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    Today i pulled the trigger on some toyo r888's. I have stock suspension. with 18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear currently running 255/35 front and 285/30 rear. This car has so much grip now its incredible. i will get some pictures tomorrow but as of now no rub or scraping. and this is without rolled or pulled fenders...
    care to update us with a review?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Where is the best place to buy nitto Nt 0-5's? I just bought a new set of wheels and now need some 19 inch tires. My car is a street car only, driven during warm months only, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With as much rain as we get in Portland, r888's wouldn't make much sense so I went with the Toyo Proxes T1's. Have 235/40x18 front and 265/35x18 rear on my 189 OEM 18's. Until I find a rim that I like better, I'm stuck... Wanted to run 275 rears, but with only 8.5" rim it was too much.

@WDBi , drops some pics out here. Would love to see that sexy ride...

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by WedgePerformance; 04-02-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: the ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast