Close

Thread: LSD Break in?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

LSD Break in?

I got the Dinan LSD installed today at Atspeed Motorsports.
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...16#post7692616

Dinan specifies a 1000 mile break in before WOT. SUCK!

Thoughts on this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

i would say about the same honestly.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was once questioning the 1000 mile break-in that most car manufactures recommend while talking with an engineer buddy of mine and he stated "most don't consider that this is more for the transmission and differential(s) than the engine itself."

I'd never really thought about it from this perspective prior to this, but it definitely makes sense. I'd give 'er at least 500 or so miles, just to be safe.

Oh and enjoy the LSD - my car envies yours! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Not at the moment it doesn't... I'm just out $3K and now have to drive like a $#@! for 1000 miles...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

A lot of figure 8's.... a lot.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    if your LSD is not a clutch type one (like the OS Giken one) then there's ZERO need to brake it in...wavetrac, quaife are gear based (not sure about dinan's lsd) and those DO NOT need to be broken in, period
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

the dinan should be a quaife which is mechanical. when i installed mine i raped it straight away. gonna change the oil soon .
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

helical gear LSD's like Quaife don't need to break in. You can drive like a madman immediately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I think this whole break in period the manufacturers recommend are more related to law suites if you crash due to a vehicle failure caused by bad assembly line practices. They tell you to take it easy so you can crash at a lower speed hehe.
    As Sticky said for clutch you gotta do the figure eights. For quaife type just floor it, even more when its a auto as the drivetrain doesnt really get shocks like a manual.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    if your LSD is not a clutch type one (like the OS Giken one) then there's ZERO need to brake it in...wavetrac, quaife are gear based (not sure about dinan's lsd) and those DO NOT need to be broken in, period

Actually u got it backwards the OS GIken LSD requires no break-in and it offers 100% lock up on acceleration..wavetrac and quaife offer 90-95% lock up. Also OS Giken makes two parts for the 335i the super lock and tcd..I have the TCD and its a step above because the clutch plates have machined groves and holes which make the LSD function like an oil pump..the result..super quiet operation..even on cold starts and seamless transition from open to lock up.

Part Numbers for 335i
    BM-531HA - Super Lock
    BM-531HC LSD

Here is a description of the TCD LSD:
    The OS Giken Super Lock TCD differential is an advanced LSD design, offering exceptionally smooth transition from open to locked operation. The unique design uses oil distribution channels on the plate surfaces and through the cartridge to achieve strong locking without the jerky low-speed operation often associate with mechanical LSD centers. The design is also maintenance-free thanks to the improved lubrication.
    This advanced LSD uses a revolutionary breakthrough in clutch-type differential design. Its patented design enables 100% full locking, unparalleled durability and allows up to twice the friction plates (up to 28 plates in total) compared to conventional designs.
    Made from the highest quality material using precise machining, forged gears and sound engineering, the Super Lock systems are the most durable and reliable race performance LSDs available. The Super Lock TCD is a 1.5-way differential that locks fully under acceleration and only partially under braking. However, because of the unprecedented amount of friction plates, this system results in reduced wear and more progressive locking action thus improving the ability for the LSD to lock fully and completely. And because of their fully locking design, less heat is generated resulting in even further durability and reliability.
    More..............
    The TCD was developed for the purpose of running as quiet as possible, but race teams in Japan have discovered that they get better lap times as well using the TCD vs. the normal Superlock.
    The biggest benefit to the TCD differential is the holes are precision machined to the disks and the side gears, and when the disks are placed into the case the holes all line up perfectly, allowing for maximum oil flow in the unit. Basically, it turns the diff into a circulating oil pump. The process for doing this correctly is much more labor intensive, but worth it when the advantages are seen at the track!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Do the superlock and the TCD both not require break in?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No break-in required for both..u can u use the superlock with OS Gikens oil..OS Giken recommends u run their oil on the Suoerlock for quiter and better operation...its $45 a litter which is insane..but I am using it too..even w a TCD..link for the oil>>>

http://949racing.com/oilforosgikenlimitedslip.aspx

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Thread dig.
    I was planning to install a Wavetrac next Monday and go to a track night Thursday. So this should be fine?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

AutoX or drag track?
    Put some miles on the LSD (200+) and for drag you will be fine.
    It is by any means wise to drive around a bit to get a feel for the car once you install a LSD.
    The car reacts very differently when you stomp on the throttle in and coming out of corners, so your brain needs time to program that into your reaction. Especially if you have had this car for a while with only the E-dif. A LSD makes the car more lively Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    AutoX or drag track?
    Put some miles on the LSD (200+) and for drag you will be fine.
    It is by any means wise to drive around a bit to get a feel for the car once you install a LSD.
    The car reacts very differently when you stomp on the throttle in and coming out of corners, so your brain needs time to program that into your reaction. Especially if you have had this car for a while with only the E-dif. A LSD makes the car more lively Click here to enlarge
    Road course. Will be taking it fairly easy getting used to the new diff, will be slow anyway as I will have average tyres and stock tune.