Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

N20 turbo version question

The F30 328i parts diagram on realoem.com shows a turbocharger part # 11657642469 on the N20 engine FROM 7/12. Was there a problem with the previous turbo before 7/12 that necessitated a design change in 7/12? I'm thinking about buying a 2013 Z4 sDrive28i with the N20 engine which currently is equipped with a turbo part # 11657635803 that apparently will be replaced with the F30 328i turbo part # 11657642469 in 3/13, and I don't want the old turbo if there was a problem with it on these N20 engines. The F10 528i shows turbo part # 11657635803 UP TO 7/13, so it looks like the new turbo part # 11657642469 is being phased in gradually on the 3 series, Z series and 5 series in 7/12, 3/13, and 7/13 respectively. Does anyone know anything about the turbochargers in this N20 engine and why they are modifying their design?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    That's N26. Basically a SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) version of N20 to pass the emission test in some countries. Instead of a boost solenoid, it has a electronically controlled wastegate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    That's N26. Basically a SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) version of N20 to pass the emission test in some countries. Instead of a boost solenoid, it has a electronically controlled wastegate.
    Interesting, good post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for responding to my post, but to be honest, I don't completely understand. I never heard of the N26 engine, and realoem.com identifies the 328i engine as the N20 (production date 10/12, USA version). Are you saying that the new turbochargers that BMW is already putting in the 328i (and will put into the Z428i in 3/12 and will put into the 528i in 7/13) are SULEV turbos that EVERYONE will get, whether they live in California or not or any other country that requires them? And is BMW changing the name of the engine from N20 to N26 once the new turbos are bolted on to the N20 engine block? Is there any advantages to the new turbo or are there any disadvantages to the new turbo? What should I do - wait for the new turbo on the Z428i in March, or buy a Z4 made in December or January with the old turbo? Thanks for your help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wish I had an answer for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by djpasek Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for responding to my post, but to be honest, I don't completely understand. I never heard of the N26 engine, and realoem.com identifies the 328i engine as the N20 (production date 10/12, USA version). Are you saying that the new turbochargers that BMW is already putting in the 328i (and will put into the Z428i in 3/12 and will put into the 528i in 7/13) are SULEV turbos that EVERYONE will get, whether they live in California or not or any other country that requires them? And is BMW changing the name of the engine from N20 to N26 once the new turbos are bolted on to the N20 engine block? Is there any advantages to the new turbo or are there any disadvantages to the new turbo? What should I do - wait for the new turbo on the Z428i in March, or buy a Z4 made in December or January with the old turbo? Thanks for your help.
    Do you know the old N51? It was a SULEV version of the N52. BMW never called it a N51, but people know it with that name. This is the case for the N26. For some markets (like California) where the emission tests are harder to pass, BMW makes a SULEV version. Completely the same engine with minor changes here and there. For the N26, i think it's limited to the wastegate, some different parts in fuel line and that's all. Nothing major at all.

Which is the motor to get? Honestly i have no idea though i'm leaned towards the N20.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I got it. Thanks again.

Just today, my local BMW salesman told me that he got an email from BMW NA dated 12/17/12 indicating that starting in 3/13 the Z4 MY will be 2014. BMW titled this email attachment "Product Planning & Strategy Bulletin, 2014 Z4 Roadster Lifecycle Impulse". The Z4 will "feature a minor update in design and offer even more individualization opportunities". The updates include 1) New headlight interior design with LED corona rings and LED accent lights with metal insert and BMW lettering 2) Newly designed side indicators with tapered surround 3) New 18" light alloy wheels V-spoke style 515 with mixed tyres on Z4 sDrive35i 4) New high-gloss black air vent surrounds (Interior) 5) New high-gloss black iDrive Control Display surround (with option 609 - Navigation system). Also there will be 3 new exterior colors (with Valencia Orange metallic replacing Atacama Yellow) and 4 new upholsteries available exclusively with the Hyper Orange Package. There will also be available certain contrasting hardtop paint colors with certain exterior paint options.

So I am led to believe that the turbo design change in the N20 engine in the Z428i effective with the 3/13 build date is part of this 2014 MY update effective 3/12. I still wonder why they changed the design of the turbo?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by djpasek Click here to enlarge
    So I am led to believe that the turbo design change in the N20 engine in the Z428i effective with the 3/13 build date is part of this 2014 MY update effective 3/12. I still wonder why they changed the design of the turbo?
    You are raising a very good point and question. I still have no answer...