Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

DCT or manual m3?

Im looking for a lightly used m3 and have found a lot of nice cars, but not many with dct.

I know this has been discussed many times....but I'm not posting this thread to talk about which is faster, but more so, which is more fun?
    I have a 6mt 335 right now and this m3 will NEVER be my daily driver, so I'm wondering, is the dct that good? Will I miss the manual interaction between me and the car?

I'm worried this m3 could be one of the last offered with a manual gearbox and since I don't drive it daily, the dct might be boring. I'm not a drag racer, will probably never take my car to the track, this will just be my weekend toy.

So I'm interested to hear the opinions from dct and manual m3 owners, do either of you regret which transmission you ended up with?
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've driven both and would HIGHLY consider the DCT. I have been a manual guy since I was 16 yrs old but with the ever growing amount of traffic and such if you ever plan on using it anywhere other than on a track - the DCT is the way to go.

If it was just a track car I'd say manual is justified but the DCT is still a hair faster, you just don't do as much work to drive it. Some would say thats a downside, some would say it allows you to concentrate more on the road.

I dunno... I'd probably miss the 6MT a lot but again I would also be driving it to work through Chicago rush hour.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    MT. Even in traffic, if you are used to a manual, I don't see what the big deal is. I never thing about it or get tired. Not a big deal. On the other hand, having an auto type transmission was extremely boring me for when I owned my auto 335i. If there s a MT option out there for a model you want, then go for it, I'd say. Or else you will regret it in the long run. The DCT will probably fun for a few months, but the appeal will be gone and you'll regret not having a true drivers transmission. People can flame me all they want now, but if you are a true MT guy, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    DCT is a great transmission. Fast, consistent etc.... But it will NEVER be as fun as MT. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They both are fun. Manual will offer more control. DCT is more consistent. I know it isn't about which is faster but... dct is faster.

Manual is more connected to the car. DCT gives up some control for lightning fast shifts time and time again.

I'd choose the DCT, especially if in an area with lot's of traffic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've never driven a dct m so I really need to before I can make this decision. I just can't imagine shifting with paddles and it being fun. I like the perfect rev match sounds it makes lol but I dunno...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I've never driven a dct m so I really need to before I can make this decision. I just can't imagine shifting with paddles and it being fun. I like the perfect rev match sounds it makes lol but I dunno...
    Taking a long test drive will allow you to figure out what works best for you. I have no problem with my 6MT in daily-driven traffic (and a lot of it). If i was in your position, it would be a tough choice, but id probably still get a 6MT
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Traffic is not a issue. Like I said, this car is a weekend car, so besides a few busy summer drives to the beach, I won't be in consistent traffic. It bugs me that the dct is faster though, if it wasn't, I would get the 6mt without question.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Luckily BMW has confirmed the M3 will always receive an MT (meanwhile all bets are off with the M5/M6).

The MT you'll obviously get more driver interaction & satisfaction from perfectly executed shifts. Not that you track/abuse the car, but you also won't have to deal with the headache/expense of replacing the much more expensive DCT clutches.

Just ask someone with a DCT (a dealer, LMs, etc) and see if it works for you. Chances are you'll know after a few spirited pulls whether or not the DCT is gonna cut it for you. Good Luck & know that I'll be very jealous once you get your hands on an S65 powered M Click here to enlarge
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    which is more fun?
    dct=winning
    winning=fun

your best bet is to drive both. for me, its a no brainer. but someone who actually likes stick, ill put it this way. i forgot to tell you my brother did get a 335, xi, 6mt btw (ill buy it from him in 2 years if there are stg 3 ready Click here to enlarge ) but its fun and interactive to drive stick, it is, you are more connected with the car, sure. I also drove my buddies 6mt e92 M3(you may have met phil-black e92 witha kid?)

BUT, i missed my dct, the rev-matching with sexy exhaust, blistering fast shifts, the car is just more fun with dct. you can focus more on whatever else it is than you are trying to do, enter/exit wind through traffic, race. WHATEVER, its more fun in a dct than a 6mt. ill tell you this, ive driven the M in AUTO mode i think 3 times in the literal year (dec-dec) ive owned the car, doesn't matter where im going or what im doing. it in M mode (throttle/EDC/SHifting). COuld just be me because i love to hear my exhaust (remember, im a mustang guy at heart, ie m3=european mustang) and im obnoxious like that.. but its fun. i wouldnt be happy with a 6MT if dct is available

edit
    just read this.. drive mine, ill bring it to you, you can disregard the blower, the dct will win you over Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea I really can't compare without driving the dct.....this is what I wanted with this thread, some opinions of people that have driven the dct and 6mt.

My car will start the transition back to stock this Tuesday, kinda sucks but I'm ready for the ///M
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    drive it. the dct feels a lot more like a manual than you'd think. LIGHT YEARS better than steptronic.

when I say traffic, I mean CHICAGO traffic like 75 min to go 14 miles at a crawl. Yes it sucks, do I do it daily in my 6mt 330i ZHP - yes. However if this is a weekend only car - 6MT all day every day. I've been considering an M3 also and have to look into a DCT because I would be daily driving it most likely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    DCT......I was born and raised off of MT cars. When I learnt how to drive it was with MT. Never touched a AT till I owned a BMW (after I got married) then finally got a DCT.

I always drive my car in Manual mode as I like to dictate when gears are to be up or down shifted. Do I miss MT, no.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge
    DCT......I was born and raised off of MT cars. When I learnt how to drive it was with MT. Never touched a AT till I owned a BMW (after I got married) then finally got a DCT.

I always drive my car in Manual mode as I like to dictate when gears are to be up or down shifted. Do I miss MT, no.

Good post, that's another point, my wife can't drive stick. I don't really let her drive my car, but it would be convienant for us if she could drive the dct m3. Hmm
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If you know how to drive then manual all day long. If you not so good then girly mode / DCT
    Mods: Cobb v3, Aquamist hfs-4, BMS DCI, AR Design DP's, ETS FMIC, ETS Charge Pipe, HKS SSQV BOV, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, BMS Clutch Stop & ptf twin disc clutch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would say drive both.

For some reason, people equate driving skill with being able to shift a manual transmission. I don't understand why you would want to lose the performance benefits of the DCT, but sometimes I admit I do miss having a manual box.

I have been to racing school a few times, used to kart - and once in a while track my car. I can tell you that there is no way you can be as consistent and/or fast as a good DCT (M3/Porsche) transmission. I personally think they are actually MORE fun for 90% of the types of driving most people do. And you get launch control - which is always nice. For a fun high revving car, I would pick this over a manual any day. The handling capabilities of this car are incredible - having a DCT helps you focus on the point of the car rather than trying to impress people because they care what transmission is in a car. The days of a manual gearbox having better performance are gone - now people use the "you can't drive unless you depress the clutch yourself" as the new excuse. It's ridiculous in my opinion.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BuraQ Click here to enlarge

This brings up another good point, they are both "manual" in my opinion - in terms of you still dictate the torque to the ground fully. I almost never use "D" mode in DCT (or in the SMG for my old M)... The only time I let it shift is when I use launch control.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    For some reason, people equate driving skill with being able to shift a manual transmission. I don't understand why you would want to lose the performance benefits of the DCT, but sometimes I admit I do miss having a manual box.
    EXACTLY
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have paddles (not dct) but I still prefer it over a MT.

Why?
    Because I can let my parents, or girlfriend drive my car.
    I can drive while multitasking, phone/map/clients/paperwork etc.
    Flappy paddles are what F1 uses, and thats cool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    I have paddles (not dct) but I still prefer it over a MT.

Why?
    Because I can let my parents, or girlfriend drive my car.
    I can drive while multitasking, phone/map/clients/paperwork etc.
    Flappy paddles are what F1 uses, and thats cool.
    Came in handy for me when girlfriend had to drive me home from the bar.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Came in handy for me when girlfriend had to drive me home from the bar.
    Or when driving home super late, its nice just having a D mode.

I guess laziness is the only reason i prefer it =/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Or when driving home super late, its nice just having a D mode.

I guess laziness is the only reason i prefer it =/
    I can be lazy and faster with a DCT. It just feels so American.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kev335i Click here to enlarge
    If you know how to drive then manual all day long. If you not so good then girly mode / DCT
    What a dick!
    Not at all constructive.
    Sorry never drinking and posting again.

Drive both then choose. It's all down to personal preference as many have said before.
    Mods: Cobb v3, Aquamist hfs-4, BMS DCI, AR Design DP's, ETS FMIC, ETS Charge Pipe, HKS SSQV BOV, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, BMS Clutch Stop & ptf twin disc clutch.