Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Question N55 DIY turbo upgrade?

hey n55 guys

why don't one of you daredevils cut off your turbo, weld on a v band and fit the biggest turbo you can on there, 5858 6262. 6266. idk seems reasonable.
    if you build it, some one will tune it.

<3
    n54 guys
    Last edited by Ak335i; 12-14-2012 at 01:46 AM.
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Because it doesn't work like that. We'll see more from the N55 when the owner base gets a bit more hardcore. They are barely even playing with tunes right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    That could actually work pretty easily depending on how close the manifold places the turbo to the block. I just don't know that N55 tuning abilities are up to tuning something like that yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

N55s are all still under warranty. That's why this hasn't happened yet. LOL Give it another 2 years and we'll see some real progress I bet.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I would think it's easier to go big single on the n55 than the n54. Much easier, since the room is already half way there for their single and the oil lines and coolant lines wouldn't need much rerouting etc. Wonder if the fueling is the same on the n55/n54
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    I would think it's easier to go big single on the n55 than the n54. Much easier, since the room is already half way there for their single and the oil lines and coolant lines wouldn't need much rerouting etc. Wonder if the fueling is the same on the n55/n54

It maybe easier, but who really knows how much the n55's can handle? I would like to see an upgraded stock frame turbo for the n55 to see how it handles that first.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justohigh Click here to enlarge
    It maybe easier, but who really knows how much the n55's can handle? I would like to see an upgraded stock frame turbo for the n55 to see how it handles that first.
    Yep, x2. That would be Ideal. Someone needs to do what ZZP did to my car. Get the stock turbo exhaust mani, bore it out a little and shove it into an EFR. Bam, big turbo that does the exact same thing the stock did. Internal wastegate, BOV intergrated in the turbo.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The stock housing is very very small. not much room to fit anything larger in it. chopping it would prob be the easiest route.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

someone has to be crazy enough to try it.
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

We should see big single progress faster I would think at least hardware wise. The tuning with the valvetronic will be trickier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Tuning is getting there but unless you go piggyback I believe ECU removal is needed for a full reprogramming because bypassing tuner protected BMW software is hard just going via OBDII. Not sure about piggy backs as I never used um.

(Going off of my understanding/experience with my old N55 135i we worked on last summer - sold it last winter).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by seth@eurocharged.com Click here to enlarge
    Tuning is getting there but unless you go piggyback I believe ECU removal is needed for a full reprogramming because bypassing tuner protected BMW software is hard just going via OBDII.
    Well, that is certainly no longer true!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

N55 is MAF based (has a MAF sensor which measures the true mass air flow) so way harder to tune for larger turbos than the N54 which is speed density based (i.e. has a MAP sensor for air pressure entering the motor, MAF is only modeled)

Once N55 can be switched to speed density it'll become just as appealing as an N54 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    N55 is MAF based (has a MAF sensor which measures the true mass air flow) so way harder to tune for larger turbos than the N54 which is speed density based (i.e. has a MAP sensor for air pressure entering the motor, MAF is only modeled)
    Actually the N55 in the F30 is both MAF and MAP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes that's correct
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Once the hardware is ready to go tuning via JB4 won't be a big issue.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The tuning with the valvetronic will be trickier.
    And thus potentially more rewarding. I am not aware of any tune that alters the OEM programming yet.