Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW TIS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Pretty sure its slow because youre running it on 7, and if my memory serves me right it's supposed to be run on XP (mine functions instantly). You're right on the assembly part, being that BMW techs will not dismantle a transmission to repair it. They send it to an overhaul facility to do that so they wont include those instructions in the program. Don't ask it to do too much, I said it's just a program like a bently manual.
    I was going to try it on an XP machine I have as well, I figured 7 might not be the best OS, but that is what is on my primary computer. If it works a little faster, it would be far less annoying, but only marginally more helpful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Don't ask it to do too much, I said it's just a program like a bently manual.
    Eh? The bentley manual DOES have a lot of the in depth technical stuff, written in plain english.. This program has basic fault finding guides, tis and bentley are polar opposites just about..

You don't have a 1400 page 1800 photo book on torque specs and simple stuff..If this is meant to be 3 dvd's (12gb).. Well it's only 1.4gb, so missing a lot? :/

Removing turbos, i still can't find it, it would be faster for me to google 'how to remove n54 turbos' and a detailed diy with photos comes up at the top..I want information that isn't all over google, the uncommon stuff, as has been said bmw would more likely just swap out an item for a new one rather than fix/rebuild/trace out wires..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure what to tell you dude, I apologize if it isnt what you thoguht it was. It's a free program that I stumbled across, and did not create, which I occasionally use when repairing my car. No, it does not have a lot of technical stuff in it, it does have repair steps though. If you dont like it, dont use it, I wont be offended. It's just shareware now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure what to tell you dude, I apologize if it isnt what you thoguht it was. It's a free program that I stumbled across, and did not create, which I occasionally use when repairing my car. No, it does not have a lot of technical stuff in it, it does have repair steps though. If you dont like it, dont use it, I wont be offended. It's just shareware now.
    Lol.......I always say no good deed goes unpunished and it's funny how people prove that over and over.

Yes TIS is not the most comprehensive guide, but for some of us noobs, at least it gives us some idea of repair difficulty and steps involved and that's a good thing in my books.

Thanks Tzu - you truly are a selfless contributor to the N54 community.

I appreciate all the help you have provided.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have it running on Windows 7 and its super quick...No such lag. I would think it has something to do with your setup..I agree the details are not all that great..I had the software for awhile now and its not better than the Bentley thats for sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    I have it running on Windows 7 and its super quick...No such lag. I would think it has something to do with your setup..I agree the details are not all that great..I had the software for awhile now and its not better than the Bentley thats for sure.
    Good to know. I'll have to look into it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haha, no i'm just saying for anyone else who gets a bit too excited

but as someone else said - this is only 1.4gb compared to 3 dvd's?.. Also from a few years ago? So not up to date?

quite possibly a complete, up to date TIS would be more useful for a lot of people

just for me.. Starting up the vm, opening tis, finding it.. It's slower than my google ability.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh. I see why it's slow. The version that I have is running on the windows 7 and not using VMware. If that's the case, Yeah it's mad slow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Oh. I see why it's slow. The version that I have is running on the windows 7 and not using VMware. If that's the case, Yeah it's mad slow.
    I am running the TIS software on a windows 7 installation, using no virtual machines of any kind. TIS is super slow using this configuration.

Are you suggesting I should be running a windows XP virtual OS using VMware on my windows 7 computer? I $#@!ing hate Microsoft.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No. I am not suggesting that at all. In VMware it will be even slower! Hate VM machines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12