Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    The price jump from stage 2 to stage 3 is going to be substantial, not to mention to take advantage of the power these turbos support you need to upgrade a LOT of areas on your car, if that makes you feel any better about your choice...Click here to enlarge
    Thank you for acknowledging that it's not sufficient to simply throw on bigger turbos (or turbo) then point and shoot.

Nice update. Kit looks to be coming together pretty quickly!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tony, great work man, looks great to me, keep it up!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice progress being made here. Vargas will definitely be on my short list when the stockers go.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thought about making 5 bolt cast downpipes? Probably would help with tolerances a bit better..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You are going to make me spend way to much money on my car... Keep updating us, this is awesome!! I cant wait to see results of these turbos and hopefully they're not to laggy.
    08 135i | Alpine White | 6 Speed | M Sports pkg |
    | Berger Intake | Code 3 intercooler | Riss 3 inch Dps | Berk Exhaust | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Euro 1M/LCI Headlights | BMS OCC | Drag DR-37 18X8 ET 40 | 245/35R-18 Kumho Ecsta XS |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Incredible. Looks like can hit 600-1,000whp. Sick.
    I was guessing more around 300-1200whp

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Thought about making 5 bolt cast downpipes? Probably would help with tolerances a bit better..
    Well, its not that close. If we are going 5 bolt, which we are we are just going to have SS downpipes made. The cost of having DP's cast will drive the price way up. Were trying to keep this kit affordable for you guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    I was guessing more around 300-1200whp
    Haha, its great when people guess whp from pictures :-o
    08 135i | Alpine White | 6 Speed | M Sports pkg |
    | Berger Intake | Code 3 intercooler | Riss 3 inch Dps | Berk Exhaust | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Euro 1M/LCI Headlights | BMS OCC | Drag DR-37 18X8 ET 40 | 245/35R-18 Kumho Ecsta XS |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mattgfx Click here to enlarge
    Haha, its great when people guess whp from pictures :-o
    The turbo options I have announced for the kit have well established HP numbers they can support. This means SUPPORT, what each individual will actually see if a different story, based on upgrades, tune, etc, etc. But we will be doing our best to have a base tune ready for purchase right out of the gate so you can get up and running pretty easily. We will see what, if any tuning bugs we run into. But we plan on getting this prototype in the hands of a good tuner as soon as its ready to go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    2013 is going to be great and this time next year we will be working out transmission and engine internals to push it even further !

Im uber jealous of some kid with a decent paycheck picking up a used N54 with the mod bug in 2015 lmao
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i just want to comment on how much bigger they are, sticking out what looks like roughly in line with the engine mount, the OE turbos are eaily half the size tops :O

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tony I wish you would stop this, you make me want to put the money towards the Stage III and not on the Stag II. Click here to enlarge

Keep up the good work, I may change my mind!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    i just want to comment on how much bigger they are, sticking out what looks like roughly in line with the engine mount, the OE turbos are eaily half the size tops :O
    yerh, they're 58mm

(shhhh)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    yerh, they're 58mm

(shhhh)
    58mm compressor blades?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's definitely nice that more vendors are producing turbos for the N54. Looks good Tony Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    looking great Tony....thanks for all the updates! keep up the excellent work...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMDoublYou Click here to enlarge
    that looks mean, really impressive work, what kind of internals are going to be needed to run this kit?
    So far we don't really know what the limit of the N54 bottom end is, but I'd guess that a set of forged pistons with a bit lower compression would be a good measure.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    So far we don't really know what the limit of the N54 bottom end is, but I'd guess that a set of forged pistons with a bit lower compression would be a good measure.
    or for the beginning just a thicker head gasket swap Click here to enlarge much cheaper
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The thing with these larger turbo upgrades is lag. Everyone including myself looks at Shiv's dyno and laughs because his peak HP lasts, what, 500 RPM? He's hitting redline at peak HP, not to mention he's not hitting full boost till like 5k RPMs. That's only 2500 RPMs at peak boost. The way to take advantage of this is more RPMs. This means springs and retainers and it means upgraded connecting rods. That ST would be a whole different animal revving out to at least 8500. That'd give you 3500 RPM at peak boost as opposed to 2500 RPMs. The point is, even with this TT upgrade, you're not taking advantage of the turbos efficiency range without some more serious upgrades to the N54. Driving my first big turbo car I have witnessed this first hand now. You can't have huge power and no lag. If you want to counter lag you move your RPM band right or you get more displacement to get the turbo to spool faster. Since i don't expect any stroker motors coming out any time soon, someone really needs to start thinking about putting some pistons, rods, springs and retainers in the car.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Since i don't expect any stroker motors coming out any time soon, someone really needs to start thinking about putting some pistons, rods, springs and retainers in the car.
    +1 ill be looking into it
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bigdnno,
    I just saw this post. This is EXACTLY what i was getting at with the thread I just started and you already replied to. Big turbo cars are a drag on the street. Like most on this board, I like a quick car but I don't think that is typically the primary reason people buy BMWs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The problem isn't the turbo size, it's the tuning. He was limiting boost in the midrange/mid high rev range to keep TQ down. And if @dzenno's car is any indicator, it seems to be able to take a pretty serious amount of tq in the midrange, which should allow one to run a much more normal boost curve. Now, I'm not saying that with a different approach that one will see a 62mm turbo full spooling at 2500 (that said, a video he posted seemed to make about 1 bar at 3100-3200). But when one isn't limiting throughout the rev range and runs a flatter boost curve, the power curve is going to look very different.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DefactoM6 Click here to enlarge
    The problem isn't the turbo size, it's the tuning. He was limiting boost in the midrange/mid high rev range to keep TQ down. And if @dzen no's car is any indicator, it seems to be able to take a pretty serious amount of tq in the midrange, which should allow one to run a much more normal boost curve. Now, I'm not saying that with a different approach that one will see a 62mm turbo full spooling at 2500 (that said, a video he posted seemed to make about 1 bar at 3100-3200). But when one isn't limiting throughout the rev range and runs a flatter boost curve, the power curve is going to look very different.
    For people that do not know or feel like looking it up. 1 bar is 14.5 PSI. The fight with turbo lag is one that is nothing new. In theory these highly efficient GTX twins should offer quicker spool over a big single. In practice we really wont know til we have it running on a N54 because its never been done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How big are the I.D.s of those primaries? Maybe it's just the pictures but they look a little larger than I expected. Are ID roughly the same size as the exhaust port on the head?

Either way, looks like great progress is being made. Good work Tony V!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Now this is getting me excited Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast