Yes Reputation No
    Have you spoken to Cobb at all?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    My friend did a few times. It's a general issue many N55 - especially DCT - have. They just tell you via their support ticket that everything is fine and if there's a problem they'll fix it some time in the future. I didn't pay $900 for this kind of service. I've paid for OTS Maps, nice device, good service etc. The current status is not acceptable. On the N54 it works very smooth, though. I love it on this platform and I like the AP. So let's try to fix this and move on :-).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 335i-BB Click here to enlarge
    My friend did a few times. It's a general issue many N55 - especially DCT - have. They just tell you via their support ticket that everything is fine and if there's a problem they'll fix it some time in the future. I didn't pay $900 for this kind of service. I've paid for OTS Maps, nice device, good service etc. The current status is not acceptable. On the N54 it works very smooth, though. I love it on this platform and I like the AP. So let's try to fix this and move on :-).
    I'm not going to allow you to not get service or for your questions to go unanswered. You deserve support and this forum is here to help people enjoy their cars. The guys at Cobb are genuinely nice guys who want to help. Let's see if we can get you some assistance @Josh@Cobb

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm not going to allow you to not get service or your questions answered. You deserve support and this forum is here to help people enjoy their cars. The guys at Cobb are genuinely nice guys who want to help. Let's see if we can get you some assistance @Josh@Cobb

PTF sent me some of the logs and I worked with them on a possible solution, but that didn't pan out to be the actual cause of the AFR deviation. This is definitely not anything we saw during our testing, but the N55 platform is still relatively new compared to the N54. I'm looking into what else could be coming into play to cause AFR to drop post shift, but I don't have any answers right now. It took quite a while for the N54 to get to the state it is currently and we learned a lot from that, but the N55 is a different beast. I'm assuming that this is a safety feature built into the DME to add fueling after a shift to reduce chances of detonation. If there is an associated table, then I should be able to get it added so it could be tuned (once I find it). Hopefully I'll come up with something soon...

Sorry its not a great answer, but honestly it will just take some time to find exactly how to eliminate this.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge
    web | forum | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Josh@Cobb Click here to enlarge
    PTF sent me some of the logs and I worked with them on a possible solution, but that didn't pan out to be the actual cause of the AFR deviation. This is definitely not anything we saw during our testing, but the N55 platform is still relatively new compared to the N54. I'm looking into what else could be coming into play to cause AFR to drop post shift, but I don't have any answers right now. It took quite a while for the N54 to get to the state it is currently and we learned a lot from that, but the N55 is a different beast. I'm assuming that this is a safety feature built into the DME to add fueling after a shift to reduce chances of detonation. If there is an associated table, then I should be able to get it added so it could be tuned (once I find it). Hopefully I'll come up with something soon...

Sorry its not a great answer, but honestly it will just take some time to find exactly how to eliminate this.
    I'm not going to blame you for not having an answer. You provided an answer and very quickly.

I think people also need to understand platforms evolve at different paces and BMW is making it harder, not easier. Obviously you guys are trying and there is nothing else that can be asked.

Hopefully solutions will be found.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you for the reply Josh Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just skipped from the E90 forum, as im also one of them with the COBB N55 AP. I do exactly have the same problem with the post shift AFR Values. Back in April i had the feeling that my car is not pushing the same way, if i go WOT over more gears, as if i push just one. Last week my gut feeling went confirmed by PTF. My post shift AFR values are way too low, thats definitely the reason for the lost of power. I went to check for other car logs and all look more or less the same way. N55 with DCT, still has a lot of place for improvements.

Here some facts

My log < AFR 11.0 post shift

ww.datazap.me/u/anatomius/ptfv5?log=0&data=1-9

Log from another car, still N55 DCT (Map is not finished yet, but the problem is visible) AFR even bellow 10.0

ww.datazap.me/u/santos/neu-ptf-v8-1-3?log=1&data=3-15&zoom=117-214

(Sorry my reputation doesnt allow me to use links)
    Thats not to put down the reputation of COBB, as i still think that they provide the best solution (just my point of view). But this problem must be solved ASAP, otherwise many N55 drivers with DCT will get disappointed about their COBB AP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks Josh for the replay, i really hope that you can quickly figure something out. It is really noticable the lost of power, post shift vs. pulling the gear directly. I thought initialy thats lost of boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Anatomius Click here to enlarge
    Just skipped from the E90 forum, as im also one of them with the COBB N55 AP. I do exactly have the same problem with the post shift AFR Values. Back in April i had the feeling that my car is not pushing the same way, if i go WOT over more gears, as if i push just one. Last week my gut feeling went confirmed by PTF. My post shift AFR values are way too low, thats definitely the reason for the lost of power. I went to check for other car logs and all look more or less the same way. N55 with DCT, still has a lot of place for improvements.

Here some facts

My log < AFR 11.0 post shift

ww.datazap.me/u/anatomius/ptfv5?log=0&data=1-9

Log from another car, still N55 DCT (Map is not finished yet, but the problem is visible) AFR even bellow 10.0

ww.datazap.me/u/santos/neu-ptf-v8-1-3?log=1&data=3-15&zoom=117-214

(Sorry my reputation doesnt allow me to use links)
    Thats not to put down the reputation of COBB, as i still think that they provide the best solution (just my point of view). But this problem must be solved ASAP, otherwise many N55 drivers with DCT will get disappointed about their COBB AP
    I have faith over time they will improve it. Clearly there is some work to do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Just like to add something...

Since 3 or 4 weeks, serious discussion has started in the German forums regarding the COBB AP for N55. And finally the issue did come up also in the E90.Post forum yesterday and somehow it did skip also over here. Plenty of cars did show their logs and all seems to have more or less the same problems. Im not sure now about people talkings, regarding they made a ticket and COBB said --> everything looks ok.. So i will not further comment this issue. But the logs are actually hard facts. German N55 drivers have started to not buy the COBB AP for N55 engines, some do regret that they have skipped from JB4 to COBB. What i did note initially is, if i pull just one gear or if i go on the Dyno, im on the level of JB4, Vishnu, etc. with the same mods. if i pull more gears on the Autobahn, or by racing with my friend a mountain pass, im struggling with lost of power and im slower.

The AP is now more than 1 Year old and the basic is still not solved --> Settings of AFR Values
    What i can completely not understand, how can we talk about turbo upgrade if such an important thing as the AFR, seems to be a problem. Of course it is nice that COBB has replayed to this issue and that they have started to work on it. But for now, i wouldn’t recommend any turbo upgrade or even the AP with such a problem. It is simply not completed for a good tuning possibility. If i shift from the 2nd to the 3rd gear and i have to struggle with more than 2 sec., with very low AFR values on the 3rd gear, thats actually about half of the 3rd gear.

This issue is really a show stopper, for COBB and has to be solved with top priority! Even the AP has plenty of PROs against other tunes, this AFR Con is a reason to not put this AP in the car. As we are talking here about a serious problem, the answer from COBB "It will take some time" is just not satisfactory information. I do receive my turbo upgrade next week and i do not have the right tune on my Car Click here to enlarge And frankly speaking i do not like to wait 1 Year, or 6 months or whatever, to get the max. out of my car. Here for i would feel much more comfortable to have something, like a time line. Up to now, i do not know how long it takes to solve this problem, even not whether the problem will be solved. For me this is a reason to skip to some other solution. I do really not like to be at the and slower with my N55 turbo1 upgraded as a N54 FOB without turbo upgrade.

Sorry to say that!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just like to add something...

Since 3 or 4 weeks, serious discussion has started in the German forums regarding the COBB AP for N55. And finally the issue did come up also in the E90.Post forum yesterday and somehow it did skip also over here. Plenty of cars did show their logs and all seems to have more or less the same problems. Im not sure now about people talkings, regarding they made a ticket and COBB said --> everything looks ok.. So i will not further comment this issue. But the logs are actually hard facts. German N55 drivers have started to not buy the COBB AP for N55 engines, some do regret that they have skipped from JB4 to COBB. What i did note initially is, if i pull just one gear or if i go on the Dyno, im on the level of JB4, Vishnu, etc. with the same mods. if i pull more gears on the Autobahn, or by racing with my friend a mountain pass, im struggling with lost of power and im slower.

The AP is now more than 1 Year old and the basic is still not solved --> Settings of AFR Values
    What i can completely not understand, how can we talk about turbo upgrade if such an important thing as the AFR, seems to be a problem. Of course it is nice that COBB has replayed to this issue and that they have started to work on it. But for now, i wouldn’t recommend any turbo upgrade or even the AP with such a problem. It is simply not completed for a good tuning possibility. If i shift from the 2nd to the 3rd gear and i have to struggle with more than 2 sec., with very low AFR values on the 3rd gear, thats actually about half of the 3rd gear.

This issue is really a show stopper, for COBB and has to be solved with top priority! Even the AP has plenty of PROs against other tunes, this AFR Con is a reason to not put this AP in the car. As we are talking here about a serious problem, the answer from COBB "It will take some time" is just not satisfactory information. I do receive my turbo upgrade next week and i do not have the right tune on my Car Click here to enlarge And frankly speaking i do not like to wait 1 Year, or 6 months or whatever, to get the max. out of my car. Here for i would feel much more comfortable to have something, like a time line. Up to now, i do not know how long it takes to solve this problem, even not whether the problem will be solved. For me this is a reason to skip to some other solution. I do really not like to be at the and slower with my N55 turbo1 upgraded as a N54 FOB without turbo upgrade.

Sorry to say that!
    I understand you're upset, but I don't know what else I could tell you until I find a reason for the deviation from AFR request during shifts. To be honest, I highly doubt there is much power loss if any at all. The N54 and N55 are both very numb to fueling changes (generally less than 5hp with a full point change in either direction). Of course the real way to test this is on a dyno, not on the street vs a similar car with a different tuning option. I would like to sort this out just so we have a more complete understanding of the fuel control, but if fueling is not going to follow commanded requests, this is the much safer problem to have and is likely exactly what BMW intended. A fat shift will protect from detonation while a lean shift would be much more dangerous.
    Last edited by Josh@Cobb; 06-05-2014 at 12:41 PM.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Im aware that AFR alone does not have that much impact. At least not so much, that i could say i feel something wrong post shift. I do not know whether the impact is 3, 5 or 10 HP, thats for sure and im absolutely with you, that something like this, has to be measurred on the Dyno. And with a working tune, where the AFR values can be nicely set, im pretty sure that you would get right.

But this strange 2 sec. safety machanism plays around also with the timing and i do not know with what else more. However the lack of power is noticable, i feel something like bad response of the engine post shift. And as im just a human and not a Dyno, i do not believe that this are just 5hp. Im pretty sure that you will see whats wrong if you dig in my logs. Perhaps you hae seen already..

At this point i really hope that you focus on this issue and that you help us COBB users. Im actually afraid if you think thats just about 5hp, that no fast solution will be provided.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Im aware that AFR alone does not have that much impact. At least not so much, that i could say i feel something wrong post shift. I do not know whether the impact is 3, 5 or 10 HP, thats for sure and im absolutely with you, that something like this, has to be measurred on the Dyno. And with a working tune, where the AFR values can be nicely set, im pretty sure that you would get right.

But this strange 2 sec. safety machanism plays around also with the timing and i do not know with what else more. However the lack of power is noticable, i feel something like bad response of the engine post shift. And as im just a human and not a Dyno, i do not believe that this are just 5hp. Im pretty sure that you will see whats wrong if you dig in my logs. Perhaps you hae seen already..

At this point i really hope that you focus on this issue and that you help us COBB users. Im actually afraid if you think thats just about 5hp, that no fast solution will be provided.
    We take any request seriously, that's why we revise maps many, many times. Rarely is it for more power... it is usually just because we've discovered something new and we feel we can make the experience better for the customer. It just takes time to go through the logic, find something that makes sense as a cause to what we're seeing, then thoroughly test to make sure that assumption is correct.
    Josh Dankel
    ECU Engineer
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @ Josh, since i have started to made some adjustments on the ATR by myself, i believe that the AFR and timing adjustment is not a safety mechanism which is build in the DME. By several test on the shift process, i could see that there is e benefit, of this behaviour. Im not sure whether im right or not, but i believe the AFR is required for cooling and the timing for spooling during the shift process. However i can take now the fully advantage of it and my car goes post shift like hell. In case im right, im sorry for my previous post. Is it possible that protuners and also the OTS Maps, arent taking advantage of this feature? It is actually not easy to set the post shift behaviour, as the DME likely goes in something like a safety mode and reduces the power, if settings arent proper. The error is mostly not visible in the logs, as the boost and also other values looks ok. My friend has almost the same mods on the car, also on a DCT and is using a protune. By pulling the gear we are on the same level, post shift im away.

However just like to inform you, that im happy now with the post shift result... Just fighting now a bit with the low rpm spool, im sure i can fix also this Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Anatomius I don't have a n55. I don't even have my n54 now but I am sure that @Josh@Cobb would like you to send him your maps and logs if you have them.

P.s. thread bump

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Josh@Cobb Is there support for the newer N55's by Cobb, I have a friend with a 235i (brand new) is it supported?
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think the new N55's are supported yet. Who knows if they will be.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @ Josh, since i have started to made some adjustments on the ATR by myself, i believe that the AFR and timing adjustment is not a safety mechanism which is build in the DME. By several test on the shift process, i could see that there is e benefit, of this behaviour. Im not sure whether im right or not, but i believe the AFR is required for cooling and the timing for spooling during the shift process. However i can take now the fully advantage of it and my car goes post shift like hell. In case im right, im sorry for my previous post. Is it possible that protuners and also the OTS Maps, arent taking advantage of this feature? It is actually not easy to set the post shift behaviour, as the DME likely goes in something like a safety mode and reduces the power, if settings arent proper. The error is mostly not visible in the logs, as the boost and also other values looks ok. My friend has almost the same mods on the car, also on a DCT and is using a protune. By pulling the gear we are on the same level, post shift im away.

However just like to inform you, that im happy now with the post shift result... Just fighting now a bit with the low rpm spool, im sure i can fix also this Click here to enlarge
    What exactly did you have to change in the map to fix the loss in power after the shift? If the AFR and timing changes were there for cyl cooling are the changes you made to fix the post shift power loss now making your EGT's go crazy?

THanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been troubleshooting low boost and I'm trying to figure out if I have a small leak or I'm being limited by torque parameters. Throughout most logs I'm seeing a difference of .5-1 between boost mean abs and requested boost abs. With the boost mean abs. being the lower number of course. I'm still hitting ~14-15PSI but my actual load seems low, timing isn't being pulled but I'm nowhere near what the timing table limits are (at least until the top of the rev range).

I'm wondering if maybe I should clean my TMAP sensor, it had oil on it when I re-installed it into my new charge pipe, car is running smoothly though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I might have found the issue but I haven't had a chance to test yet.. while I was comparing my custom tune to the Stg 2 aggressive I noticed that "torque eff divisor (fuel)" was set to 1 across the board, where as the OTS Stg 2 map has a much lower "divisor" value in the 11-13 AFR range. I'm assuming if the table is labeled correctly, dividing by a number <1 will give you a higher value, or effectively multiply the torque target. Which would make perfect sense since the stg 2 maps are hitting higher numbers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ That was it.. Took a drive at lunch to get gas. Definitely no leaks, I was able to hit 20PSI which now I really need to back down. Started breaking up in the mid range, guessing spark related. I gapped my NGK 5992s at .025 but I think they need to be tighter for load targets around 200. Wasn't terrible with e50 but when I filled up to ~e75 it really started giving me trouble.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234