Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Island Drag Way in NJ Closed???

I admit I only visited this track 3X and ran there only once... But it appears that Island Drag Way has been shut down there's lots of speculation regarding why they shut down. Family infighting, taxes, local city issues with traffic/police, EPA and developers wanting the land are among the reasons cited. I suspect that its a culmination of several issues from the owner to taxes and pressure from the city. This leaves NJ with two tracks with Englishtown and Atco being the only tracks left.

This is why we need to support the tracks with attendance it sucks to want something once the options go away. Below is all I can find on the subject if anyone else has info feel free to post it up.

http://www.dragtimenews.com
    We stay swingin...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow...and smh at the cheering going on because of it....guess they dont realize that if our tracks close that there will be an infestation of street racing going on the likes of which NJ will have never seen...
    "We need to upgrade your skill before we upgrade your horsepower"

-Tommy to Josh

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge
    I admit I only visited this track 3X and ran there only once... But it appears that Island Drag Way has been shut down there's lots of speculation regarding why they shut down. Family infighting, taxes, local city issues with traffic/police, EPA and developers wanting the land are among the reasons cited. I suspect that its a culmination of several issues from the owner to taxes and pressure from the city. This leaves NJ with two tracks with Englishtown and Atco being the only tracks left.

This is why we need to support the tracks with attendance it sucks to want something once the options go away. Below is all I can find on the subject if anyone else has info feel free to post it up.

Although I am not in this area I am very disheartened to learn about this. Track closures are something I can honestly relate to.

I don't really understand it myself as tracks continue to close when the number of high performance cars continues to rise. It's as if they want us on the streets just to ticket, cite us but they also make the streets more dangerous. Not really responsible behavior IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That makes me sad. I frequent Island quite often Click here to enlarge It's not the best track, but it's close and you can run all day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn,Ive been going there for years. I refuse to go to Etown on a fri nite so I guess that means track rentals only for me...Island was 40mi from my house&my wife and daughter enjoyed coming along with me on a friday night. $#@!
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    State police needs to collect more money, lets close the track and we collect the money for races instead of the track owners.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gotta love the People's Republic of NJ -- Def a combination of the EPA & prob people complaining about the noise.... Not that they should've considered that when they bought the house & KNEW that there was a racetrack nearby Click here to enlarge
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This sucks
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You NJ guys are lucky. NY doesnt have any tracks, south NY that is.
    C63 Tuned Only 60-130 in 8.71

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
    Yea. It sucks that we don't have any. Wasn't there 1 on Long Island a few decades back?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Yea. It sucks that we don't have any. Wasn't there 1 on Long Island a few decades back?
    Yeah, in the Hamptons. Long Island Raceway Park, IIRC. You can imagine why that one closed.

Sad to hear if it's really true about Island. Almost 2hr from me. Now, like you guys, I have just Etown and Atco (3+hrs). Click here to enlarge

Etown is great just mobbed all the time so I haven't been there in many years. At Island you could make back to back runs most of the time. Vbox is looking better all the time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't like E-town. Its Honda Civic galore where they blow something and leave oil on the track and make the wait even longer.
    C63 Tuned Only 60-130 in 8.71

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    gotta dig into this.. see if its shut down or for sale..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yep, LI Motorsports Park, got sold. I was going there back around 2002-2003. Man, time flies.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JonsC63AMG Click here to enlarge
    What are you talking about?!?! You've got 2 tracks -- The LIE + Cross Island, ALWAYS see people racing on those rods when I'm leaving Long Island late at night & heading back to NJ

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    What are you talking about?!?! You've got 2 tracks -- The LIE + Cross Island, ALWAYS see people racing on those rods when I'm leaving Long Island late at night & heading back to NJ
    Cross Island is fine for datalogging 3-4 shifts, but you don't want to go too fast around that slight curved bend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Cross Island is fine for datalogging 3-4 shifts, but you don't want to go too fast around that slight curved bend.
    Click here to enlarge That last bend before the Throgs Neck Bridge will prob send you airborne

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sledgehammer Click here to enlarge

Divorce.

and

....possibly $500,000 in back taxes.
    2012 CTS V - Sedan - 6AT

Stage 1 Mods:
    - 2.5 upper pulley, Ported snout/throttle body, Fluidyne HX, Airaid CAI w/green filter, ID850 injectors

Stage 2 Mods:
    - American Racing Headers w/X-pipe, 9.1 Lower Pulley, Tune Time Custom Cam, Moroso Dual Catch Cans, Zl1 Lid, Norcal Tank

Stage 3 Mods:
    - LSA ported/polished heads, 4.5" G-Force intake, Nick Williams 102mm T-body, 8.6 Lower Pulley

12.18 @ 118.98 - STOCK
    10.87 @ 127.02 - STAGE 1
    10.53 @ 131.31 - STAGE 2
    10.47 @ 133.20 - STAGE 3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Southampton Town Board has cleared the way for the sale of the Long Island Dragway property to Engel Burman Senior Housing.In a 4-to-1 vote last week, the board approved a zoning amendment that creates a senior citizen planned development district on 56 acres of the 66-acre site. That change opens the door for Engel Burman to close on the purchase of the property for an estimated $7 million.
    Earlier this year, the proposal received the blessing of the Suffolk County Planning Commission.
    Prior to the town board's action, the track property was zoned residential, and the dragway, which has existed for the past 50 years, was considered a …
    $#@!..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Senior housing over a dragstrip, wonderful, and nothing you can do to stop that.

I wish I could buy senior housing and make it into a dragstrip...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Senior housing over a dragstrip, wonderful, and nothing you can do to stop that.

I wish I could buy senior housing and make it into a dragstrip...
    once obamacare is in full swing, wont be an issue Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yep, LI Motorsports Park, got sold. I was going there back around 2002-2003. Man, time flies.
    I wish they brought Bridgehampton back (too late now obviously). It's all these damn Jews (no offense, rich, snobby, long island jews) that want to turn everything into either a golf course or a $#@!ing senior citizens home/housing

Check out how badass of a track there once was on Long Island.

This guy made a video of what one lap would be on the track digitally. I would be at this place every weekend if it was still open. Guess what stands there today. A $#@!ing golf course

2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge That last bend before the Throgs Neck Bridge will prob send you airborne
    I took that turn at around 130 mph datalogging a 4-5 shift on rbs on stock suspension at that. Woops!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I took that turn at around 130 mph datalogging a 4-5 shift on rbs on stock suspension at that. Woops!
    Got a spot in Plainview to measure some 60-130 times if you ever come out that far
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    Got a spot in Plainview to measure some 60-130 times if you ever come out that far
    OR any part of 287 (NY or NJ) Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast