Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I would do an Alpine White 2007 335i w/ sport package and a top-mount GT3582R (ball bearing) w/ .82 Tial housing on a 6-2-1 header configuration and Tial external wastegate (black) dumped to atmousphere. Then I'd email Terry and ask him to help me tune it.

That configuration would not be for max power, but would be very responsive and build about 10 psi by 3000 rpm in higher gears (6AT). The GT could easily be upgraded to a GTX w/ Tial 1.03 housing if you decided to go balls out.

That's what I'd do...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I am pretty sure a quickspool undivided twin scroll would work better than a twin scroll divided with no quick spool. It begs the question though, why not just get twin turbos and do the same thing? That will be even better....
    I'm no expert in the subject. I have heard that a twin scroll is 'simpler' and you basically start entering the realm of diminishing returns with a TT setup. The twins vs single debate is another rager, you seem to have a skill for calling out points of tuner contention Click here to enlarge If I had enough cash I'd want to see results back to back for sure.

It is possible to fabricate a true divided manifold that incorporates a quickspool; instead of using a butterfly you rotate the flange-orthogonal divider, you can even achieve less turbulence this way as exhaust gases will be gradually directed away from flange.

Here is some ASCII:

XX XX
    ______ <- Turbo Flange
    |...|...|
    |...|...| Normal divided operation
    |...|...|
    ------- <- Exhaust Manifold

vs:

XX XX
    ______ <- Turbo Flange
    |...\...|
    |....\..| Closed operation
    |.....\.|
    ------- <- Exhaust Manifold

Best of both worlds IMHO, possible to build reliably? No idea.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

@Terry@BMS: Could you make an ST work with JB4 + a flash?
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    I'm no expert in the subject. I have heard that a twin scroll is 'simpler' and you basically start entering the realm of diminishing returns with a TT setup.
    Its cheaper, but the moment of inertia on a set if equal flowing twin wheels is less and thus will spool quicker. With a tt setup and a butterfly valve making 800hp peak, I bet you could get spool up roughly equal to or better than a stock N54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

good stuff guys. thanks Click here to enlarge

tell me a little more about the t4 vs t3 6466

undivided vs divided?
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I think running a T3 exhaust side on a single turbo with a 6466 compressor side would be a VERY VERY bad idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Its cheaper, but the moment of inertia on a set if equal flowing twin wheels is less and thus will spool quicker. With a tt setup and a butterfly valve making 800hp peak, I bet you could get spool up roughly equal to or better than a stock N54.
    So you're suggesting a twin dual scroll turbo setup both with quickspools? (How about a VGT and call it a day?)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd run whatever turbo you decide in a v-band (in and out) hotside.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

1st choice, BW EFR 8374. 2nd choice, Comp turbo CT4-6465 triple ball bearing, billetwheel.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    This is going to be a very fun project

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Apologies but in this thread you never even mentioned the most important part- how much HP you're trying to make (realistically) and what the honest intended purpose is (street, street+dragstrip, road race etc). Built engine? Pump gas, E85, Mix, meth?

If you're going to street drive it 99% of the time and want it to remain a BMW (luxury first and 90%+ time, dragster less than 10% of the time) and are 6AT and limited to 6850rpm, plan on making peak power just before there and work backwards.

I'd look hard at Borg Warner 7064 through 8374 depending on what will fit in there and how nuts you're looking to go.

BTW I love the discussion on the butterfly valve and twin scroll. I'd love to see a comparo on true twin scroll without it vs with.

Good luck AK.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    Apologies but in this thread you never even mentioned the most important part- how much HP you're trying to make (realistically) and what the honest intended purpose is (street, street+dragstrip, road race etc). Built engine? Pump gas, E85, Mix, meth?

If you're going to street drive it 99% of the time and want it to remain a BMW (luxury first and 90%+ time, dragster less than 10% of the time) and are 6AT and limited to 6850rpm, plan on making peak power just before there and work backwards.

I'd look hard at Borg Warner 7064 through 8374 depending on what will fit in there and how nuts you're looking to go.

BTW I love the discussion on the butterfly valve and twin scroll. I'd love to see a comparo on true twin scroll without it vs with.

Good luck AK.Click here to enlarge
    Best post!

No turbo fits all needs for everyone out there. That's why they come in different sizes to begin with along with sizing on the compressor and exhaust housings as well as manifold setups and tuning.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Turbo is already ordered, and Manifold Fabricator already scheduled. I'll let Dan post the specifics whenever he is ready.

Dan is a dragstrip Junkie, and just wants run 10's. His car is pretty much only driven to the track. Lag is not much of a factor to him, but we've chosen a unit with great spool characteristics, and transient response.

It's really difficult to choose the proper turbo at this point since, nobody has really done aside from Vishnu. I don't think their's is a good representation because I think it could be tuned to spool up a lot faster. A 6262 is not a big turbo, especially for a 3.0l motor.
    Last edited by BoostAddict; 12-14-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Best post!

No turbo fits all needs for everyone out there. That's why they come in different sizes to begin with along with sizing on the compressor and exhaust housings as well as manifold setups and tuning.
    Thanks DZ. If it was me, I'd plan on a flange & manifold where I could do at least one turbo size swap if not more. Swapping in another $1400 turbo to get it right at the end of the day isn't going to break the bank.

When I had my low 10 second mustang back in the day, I swapped 2 new torque converters ($800-$1000 ea 15 yrs ago) into it over 2 days during a race weekend just to get it to launch right. 3rd converter was a charm!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    3rd converter was a charm!
    That's usually how it goes with everything Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    Turbo is already ordered, and Manifold Fabricator already scheduled. I'll let Dan post the specifics whenever he is ready.

Dan is a dragstrip Junkie, and just wants run 10's. His car is pretty much only driven to the track. Lag is not much of a factor to him, but we've chosen a unit with great spool characteristics, and transient response.

It's really difficult to choose the proper turbo at this point since, nobody has really done aside from Vishnu. I don't think their's is a good representation because I think it could be tuned to spool up a lot faster. A 6262 is not a big turbo, especially for a 3.0l motor.

I could not have said it better myself, Thanks Click here to enlarge

I didnt post with exact power goals originally because more than anything i just wanted to see what your guys thoughts were as to a turbo and why you would pick that turbo.

Power goals are as high as we can comfortably get on 93 and meth and also on E85/E85 mix (having different settings for each) and while keeping the transmission in one piece until we settle on a tranny upgrade. Will be looking into motor internal work by this summer, even if it means i have to roll the dice and have to try something new again. Already rolling the dice as it is, so ill grab more dice Click here to enlarge
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12