Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Helix FMIC updated design install

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures b/c I nearly $#@! myself doing this by myself today on rhino ramps. I got the newly designed Helix in their E90 groupbuy. Supposedly, no cutting was needed. I'll vouch for that. I used their old link to some guys install a year or so ago. It's outdated and it altogether sucks pretty much unless you have done an FMIC before maybe?

At any rate, judging by who posts on this forum vs. the e90....I'm guessing the average person here is way more mechanically inclined than I am or most noobs are. So, if you know WTF you are doing, you are ahead of me and can ignore this post and go onto the next one of interest.

If u are new or are timid, pm me b/c I screwed up hard and almost ruined the job - don't really care to embarrass myself publicly by saying what I did. I'll just say that if you follow the "bills web space" guide to the helix install, you can maybe guess wrong on a key part involving the dremel, and, f up your car to the point of needing to be towed.

Again, I came close, but didn't do so.

Other than that - If you get this FMIC, you don't need to trim any of the bumper / whatever plastic stuff to make it fit - it is as advertised.

I'm stoked overall!

The reason for this post is simply to help someone out that hasn't done it before.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am happy they corrected the faults they had. When I bought mine I bought it on the basis of its fits with no modifications required. Then I landed up doing some chopping on the one bracket and part of the bumper had to be trimmed as well. I was also pretty shocked at how heavy it was.
    Once I went on the road and logged I was more than happy with the product.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    no pics? WTF!?

Kidding, enjoy it. I may be upgrading as well, since they are 10 miles away Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what was it that you did that would have caused you the tow damage? just curious
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It would be nice if you could update with some pics. Grats though, sounds like its really quite worth it!
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    It would be nice if you could update with some pics. Grats though, sounds like its really quite worth it!
    I agree, nice details but pics won't hurt Click here to enlarge

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    You all will get your pics and your laughs at my sorry expense. I failed to realize that I eonly needed to cut the metal bracket thing that connects the OE intercooler piping. In fact, I got stupid with the dremel and cut the plastic above this piece and screwed up the pipe that connnects my intercooler pipiping to my Stett chargepiipe. If It weren't for the good graces of duct tape, sand paper, and my own mental shortcomings, I would not be bold enough to drive right now. Keep in mind, I am a bimmerboost bottom feeder = I'm not expereienced, all that mechanically or intelectualy inclined, and worst yet, I don't really strive to improve my circumstances. But....Yes, when I get somebody to fabricate me the connecting OEM replacement tube, pictures will be posted. In the meantime, if you want pics withought the above laughs, let me know and I'll see what I can post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think anyone here can say they have done all their installs themselves And have had no hiccups. Not gonna lie here, my AMS FMIC required a little bit of trimming and I don't have a dremel. The solution as it was like 10pm and I was at the lift was to use a utility knife. With some elbow grease and about 1000 pulls we got it trimmed up. Live and learn ftw
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Proud of ya for DIY !!! I was kindda looking forward to doing this mod for you as well. But glad you were brave enough to do it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by encinitas Click here to enlarge
    You all will get your pics and your laughs at my sorry expense. I failed to realize that I eonly needed to cut the metal bracket thing that connects the OE intercooler piping. In fact, I got stupid with the dremel and cut the plastic above this piece and screwed up the pipe that connnects my intercooler pipiping to my Stett chargepiipe. If It weren't for the good graces of duct tape, sand paper, and my own mental shortcomings, I would not be bold enough to drive right now. Keep in mind, I am a bimmerboost bottom feeder = I'm not expereienced, all that mechanically or intelectualy inclined, and worst yet, I don't really strive to improve my circumstances. But....Yes, when I get somebody to fabricate me the connecting OEM replacement tube, pictures will be posted. In the meantime, if you want pics withought the above laughs, let me know and I'll see what I can post.
    Yes, we want pics for laughs.

It isn't a big deal man, at least you tried to do your own work. On the other forums the only work they put it into their rides is swiping the credit card for someone else to do it.

So you made come mistakes, big deal, people will learn from it and that is what this is all about.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is there a DIY section here? Sticky, Twinturbo.net has a great system to where users can vote to Auto-FAQ a thread so it is added to a DIY database complete with pictures. I would be great to have a collection of DIYs on this site, such as clutch install, intercooler install, tune install, head rebuild, motor pull, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Is there a DIY section here? Sticky, Twinturbo.net has a great system to where users can vote to Auto-FAQ a thread so it is added to a DIY database complete with pictures. I would be great to have a collection of DIYs on this site, such as clutch install, intercooler install, tune install, head rebuild, motor pull, etc.
    Link, let me take a look.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    Proud of ya for DIY !!! I was kindda looking forward to doing this mod for you as well. But glad you were brave enough to do it!
    Hey Brother,

Yeah, You would have done a much better job. I'm still amazed by how well you did that OCC without ever having done one before and not even reading the whole FBIS DIY...LMAO. Seriously though, anyone in SOCAL that wants a great install, fairly priced, with an easy going guy and shop in general, PM alpinedevil335. PM first if you are hesitant.

Also, I'm putting in the Rixter gauge tonight. I was gonna do a picture thing, but, his sight has a better video, instruction set than I could come close to doing, so if you get one, just use that.

Also, Also, I was gonna have AE install my HFC exhaust. I'll be calling them in the morning to see if they can just ship it to me. I know it is really a basic install, but, I'm pumped to do it myself now. I may post pix when I do that install and start a DIY for noobs / mechanically challenged folks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    encinitas by the time youd one with your mods you going to be telling us you engineered bigger turbos in your garage hehe. Nice going. At least you saving a large amount of money even though you getting a few heart attacks along the way. There is nothing superglue cannot fix hehe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks G Smooth. I think.... at any rate, I've never really turned a wrench. I'll let you guys know how things go. Update. I installed the Rixter gauge, I calibrated it as instructed and set it up to my Stett chargepipe/forge DVS. Today I read over 21lbs boost. Does anyone think that V4, AR feline free Dps, Stett CP/Forge DVS, BMS DCI, and, Helix FMIC can boost that on map 2? Yeah, I thought not. I'm gonna either need some advice from you guys or I'm gonna have to do the figure it out myself sheist. help????? Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    21 psi huh.. the rixster reads about 1 psi high, but you still shouldnt be anywhere near that. are you seeing it on a log or peak recall from the rixster? if in a log, you have some problems. if from the rixster, its most likely a shift spike, and your probably still high @ about 18-19psi, which is still too much

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    21 psi is high... Is that sustained psi?
    Are you sure it's not a shift spike like Lostmarine said?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    can we see pics of the updated design FMIC
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I promise I'll post some pix tomorrow, "Friday", of the FMIC. As for the Rixster...I need to get my laptop to work before I can datalog and compare. The V4 also felt weaker today, not sure what the hell is up with that? It has been super solid so far, I hope that the crap that I did to hook up the DVS didn't throw a leak or something. I know that I really really need to get my datalogging going here so that I have something tangible for you guys to go off of. I'm gonna work on that this weekend as well. Thanks for everyone's patience with me. As far as the shift spike thing, I'm not thinking that is it, but could be wrong. After I read this thread I did a hard 3rd gear pull and it went to 22 before I shifted / put the clutch in. I should also update to Shiv's newest boost gauge update to compare it with the rixsters before I say anything else about it. I'm assuming that I did something wrong, or, their is a problem with my car, or, an incompatability with the Forge/STett set up, bc I have not read one bad comment about the rixster. Thx everyone

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What reading are you getting at idle? Should see ~18-23 inhg vacuum when warmed up and not in gear. Might give you an idea if it's a hardware/calibration/install issue rather than a boost issue. You should email Rick - he's been super responsive to my emails.

+1 on the lousy diy link for the Helix fmic. I ended up having to cut a plastic bracket and a small part of the plastic front shroud, only to be told after by Helix that the bracket could have been unclipped and the front shroud wouldn't need to be cut. WTF.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I took a few pictures. The metal piece is the piece that one should cut with a dremel or whatever. I screwed up and cut the pipe above it. The plastic pipe is the one on pictured on the very nice AMS install thread! Great job guys. Anyway, I need to figure out how to resize my other pictures so that they'll upload...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Guys, I apologize for the crappy I phone pix and my editorial skills. They are about as bad as my install skills, lol. Hopefully these pictures make it. Also, Thanks for the advice with the Rixster. It is calibrated properly. A local guy to me from N54tech helped me troubleshoot. Thanks Supahdave! Still working on getting the other pictures resized correctly to upload.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Side shot
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    right click on file-open with-open in paint- top left resize to 30% -save (make sure saved as jpg)-upload

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1`Z

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast