Close

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1091
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is the 10:1 AFR really not an issue? I would think 12:1 once your dialed or 11.5:1 as pretty conservative....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Pretty close, but what's disturbing is his 1/8mi ET. It's not good. I would think even after the bad 60' he should pick up more time on the front end.
    its not just the ET, its the mph.. and its consistant with a lot of other cars. I guess the key really is gearing for thating because it just lacks the power down low. Id really love for the optimum setup to be found and replicated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    its not just the ET, its the mph.. and its consistant with a lot of other cars. I guess the key really is gearing for thating because it just lacks the power down low. Id really love for the optimum setup to be found and replicated
    He is shifting fine and the gearing looks alright. He definitely needs NLS big time though, which also means he needs flatline fix. The spool looks not so good on this kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Having a big single with lots of lag, it is very hard to launch. Your 2 step has to be dialed in and you really have to know how to use it. I know for me though, once this thing takes off, hold on especially NLS. It's in boost the whole rest of the trip. I'm AWD though. I can't imagine how difficult it is to launch that car with 6MT with that much HP and that much lag and RWD. My best 60' time with my 335i was 1.8 which is pretty good but the track and prep are amazing there and I had stock twins with no lag and I was NLS.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    He is shifting fine and the gearing looks alright. He definitely needs NLS big time though, which also means he needs flatline fix. The spool looks not so good on this kit.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sorry, not following the statement, you know you can change gears right..?
    2 gear changes in an MT adds significant time compared to the 1 shift usually done in a 6MT stock turbo car. That said, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have full boost well before or at 3800 RPM if he brake boosted the car and started it in the 45-50mph range. Shiv showed a video of his car making 1 bar around 3100ish RPM, which is what I would expect given the engine in question and the turbo used, so I'd be surprised if he really needed to start the car in 2nd for a good time.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    So track wasn't what I had hoped for. I had a couple issues (timing would zero out in 4th if I used NLS or if I shifted too quickly). Ran a little bit of race gas so I could hot lap (got there late, 1:30), but left the boost level at what I daily drive at ~23-24psi to get a feel of what it could do in the street setup.

Bottom line:
    I ran 12.0x at 124.89 mph.

Needless to say I was disappointed. I think a big factor in this is my gearing. 4th gear is just too long. At 125mph, 4th gear is under 6000rpm. I think I see a 3.46 rear end with LSD in the very near future.

My drag radials are very, very bald so that made it tough to get out the hole. I have new ones coming in Thursday. I'm also going to get a dedicated wheel setup for the strip eventually.

I'm not sure how others were running. My friend who has a 730whp 2013 GT500 was trapping around ~129mph. He was happy he finally broke 10s though.

Last, my VBOX was reading usually 0.3s slower than my slip. On one of my 12.0x runs, it read 12.2. MPH was just about always 1mph faster (expected). I really think the timing blocks at PBIR are not setup correctly. My 60' times seem a lot better than how they feel from experience...and I have done probably 400 passes in this car. I datalogged all my runs, I'll post up some of those as well as the slips. I wrote the VBOX time and mph on each slip as well so I wouldn't forget the discrepancy. Unfortunately, I couldn't confirm with someone else who had a VBOX if there's was showing the same discrepancies as mine. Maybe my VBOX could be wrong? I don't know, but if I had to guess I'd say it wasn't and that PBIR has inflated times (or deflated? cause they are lower?).
    Hey man, glad you went. Its not easy getting great times at the strip and I'll say this much, unless you're ready to start breaking some things and living through considerable 6MT related frustrations of drag racing (launches specifically) I'd honestly say to just drop it unless you're truly enjoying it. I'd try to get a couple 60-130 runs and just enjoy the car. Don't let the 1/4 times bog you down. We've all seen 6MT cars that have mid-high 11s in them on stock turbos running mid-high 12s due to just inability so launch really well and shift fast or shift at the right time. There's a ton of things and attention to detail that go into 6MT drag racing this car. Its NOT easy, 6AT cars make it LOOK easy.

This car will have a MONSTER record with a big turbo(s) once a DCT car hits the track WITH upgraded clutch packs and hopefully tranny reflashed. I suspect very very deep in the 10s easily
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sorry, not following the statement, you know you can change gears right..?
    Then I'd have to start in 2nd. That isn't good for 2 reasons: extra shift and 2nd gets very little traction.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335Coupe Click here to enlarge
    Then I'd have to start in 2nd. That isn't good for 2 reasons: extra shift and 2nd gets very little traction.
    2nd gear launches won't work on a 6MT. You'll bog and go nowhere. Its also extremely hard on the clutch due to slip.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    Exactly... IHRA sanctioned track equipment is going to be more trustworthy than a box in the car.
    VBOX has been proven to be very accurate. It's just a very accurate GPS that constantly records position and calculates speed/acceleration.

IHRA sanctioned track equipment still has to be placed correctly to work properly. They just use beams that are broken and record time between each beam break and calculate speed. Think of what would happen if those blocks were placed a couple feet short.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    2nd gear launches won't work on a 6MT. You'll bog and go nowhere. Its also extremely hard on the clutch due to slip.
    I was referring to 60-130, as the comment suggested I should start in a gear at a higher rpm because 60mph in 3rd is not at full boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Exactly. I'm not too concerned with ET at this point as my tires aren't setup for a great ET. I'm sure that is robbing me of some mph too as it is very hard not to spin all the way through first. Gearing is playing a big role in 3rd and 4th gear, especially 4th.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DefactoM6 Click here to enlarge
    2 gear changes in an MT adds significant time compared to the 1 shift usually done in a 6MT stock turbo car. That said, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have full boost well before or at 3800 RPM if he brake boosted the car and started it in the 45-50mph range. Shiv showed a video of his car making 1 bar around 3100ish RPM, which is what I would expect given the engine in question and the turbo used, so I'd be surprised if he really needed to start the car in 2nd for a good time.
    yeah I probably need to brake-boost in 3rd to get any kind of respectable time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's what most people do but that's on stock turbos. Not sure if it'll get you in your powerband but it can only help. Brake boost around 45-50MPH, by the time you hit 60MPH hopefully you've hit full boost or close to it.

yeah I probably need to brake-boost in 3rd to get any kind of respectable time.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    VBOX has been proven to be very accurate. It's just a very accurate GPS that constantly records position and calculates speed/acceleration.

IHRA sanctioned track equipment still has to be placed correctly to work properly. They just use beams that are broken and record time between each beam break and calculate speed. Think of what would happen if those blocks were placed a couple feet short.
    It's not that the Vbox isn't accurate. It just does not equal a slip like how some people treat it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's not that the Vbox isn't accurate. It just does not equal a slip like how some people treat it.
    100% agree. Not a substitute. More for verification.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Whats interesting to me is that your 1/8th Mile trap speed is fairly stout - almost 97 mph. You are picking up just over 26 mph on the back half of the track. For comparison, i typically run 93 in the 1/8th, and trap 118, picking up 25mph on the back half. I would expect the ST to be a monster on the back half of the track, 1 mph difference seems like something is off.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very good point, I also was picking up around 25MPH on the back half. I would think this is where the ST should shine.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Whats interesting to me is that your 1/8th Mile trap speed is fairly stout - almost 97 mph. You are picking up just over 26 mph on the back half of the track. For comparison, i typically run 93 in the 1/8th, and trap 118, picking up 25mph on the back half. I would expect the ST to be a monster on the back half of the track, 1 mph difference seems like something is off.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, exactly...and I'd bet money (enough to buy a new rear diff) that it's my gearing. At 125mph, I'm only at 5950rpm in 4th. If I shift 3rd at 7000rpm (~111mph), then 4th gear starts at 5280rpm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You think 1st and 2nd gear are bad now though. Wait till you put that 3.46 in there. You're going to need real hoosier slicks and some dedicated lightweight drag wheels like some Koesi K1 17" or something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    You think 1st and 2nd gear are bad now though. Wait till you put that 3.46 in there. You're going to need real hoosier slicks and some dedicated lightweight drag wheels like some Koesi K1 17" or something.
    Yeah I know. It's unfortunate but overall I think it'll be better. 1st is almost useless now anyway. I will be getting dedicated lightweight 17s and slicks eventually.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess we now know why Shiv went to a 3.46 rear now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Had no timing in 4th on this one. Think I shifted too quickly.

Also, notice there is a little bit of bog on 3-4 in both graphs. I could feel this at the track.

I'm not using NLS on any of these runs (did it on my first run, but timing flatlined so I took it off - still seemed to happen on the above run).
    I marked up your log with my best guess at where the real-world 1/4mi numbers would fall so you can get a sense of how the engine was performing at each point.

Let me know what you think.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    I marked up your log with my best guess at where the real-world 1/4mi numbers would fall so you can get a sense of how the engine was performing at each point.

Let me know what you think.
    Can you mark up the first log? That log is of a run where timing flatlined in 4th. Also, mark the rpm of each line, that would be helpful.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DefactoM6 Click here to enlarge
    as i was reading your reply i was already contemplating brake boosting.

shifting is what it is, but traction is easily attended to. i feel your pain on that, nothing you can do but get better tires. shouldnt be an issue with DR's though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah I know. It's unfortunate but overall I think it'll be better. 1st is almost useless now anyway. I will be getting dedicated lightweight 17s and slicks eventually.
    I am curious as to what you're current setup is? I already purchased some Kosei K1's and Hoosier DOT Drag Radials 275/40/17 if you want to wait to see how they perform on my car at the end of march (installing ST this weekend.)

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast