Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Leatherique Cinnamon dye complete overhaul saga (blog)

I wanted different color seats, so I redid them Click here to enlarge I did them on my last E46 M3 and it lasted the full 2 years before I traded it in.

pictures are in stages
    1) prep
    2) 1st coat
    3) 2nd coat
    4) 3rd and final coat

still need to wetsand it with 2000grit sand paper to get rid of any shine. Final pictures installed will come soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Looks sick, how much does something like this cost after everything is said and done?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

leatherique dye kit #4 $195, Graco 3900 HVLP air paint gun $149, Acrylic brush $4, 2000grit sand paper $5

$353

I had many of the stuff from my previous dye saga so I didn't need to buy dye kit #4, instead I just bought a 32oz bottle of bmw E46 cinnamon dye for $95. The die kit comes with leatherique prestine clean, rejuvenator, seat prep solution to strip out the old dye, and the dye itself.

also optional, black cloth dye from Michaels for $7.99 to redye the portions of overspray on the back side of the leather back to black. Pictures #2 and #3 show what I'm talking about on the sides of the seats
    Loe P.
    B8.5 Audi S5 3.0"T" - GIAC stage II ECU / GIAC DSG TCU / AWE-tuning Pulley / AFe filter / 034 TBB / mod airbox / X-pipe
    - 09' E90 M3 7-DCT Interlagos Blue / Novillo Silver - gone Click here to enlarge
    [K&N filter|MS pullies|test pipes|Evolve Stg II tune/Servotronic/GTS-DCT Tune|Euro MDM]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spool twice Click here to enlarge
    leatherique dye kit #4 $195, Graco 3900 HVLP air paint gun $149, Acrylic brush $4, 2000grit sand paper $5

$353

I had many of the stuff from my previous dye saga so I didn't need to buy dye kit #4, instead I just bought a 32oz bottle of bmw E46 cinnamon dye for $95. The die kit comes with leatherique prestine clean, rejuvenator, seat prep solution to strip out the old dye, and the dye itself.

also optional, black cloth dye from Michaels for $7.99 to redye the portions of overspray on the back side of the leather back to black. Pictures #2 and #3 show what I'm talking about on the sides of the seats
    i want to do this but im not confident enough

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

So really all you have to do is paint and sand? That's it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

this is damn awesome. great job! Wish I had the time to do this on my beige interior...I want Imola Red!

In for more pics of the replaced interior w some in-car shots!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    sand, paint, then sand again. Yeah, it's pretty easy, especially with an air gun.
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by wtfmateim65 Click here to enlarge
    this is damn awesome. great job! Wish I had the time to do this on my beige interior...I want Imola Red!

In for more pics of the replaced interior w some in-car shots!
    imola would work going from beige. you should go for it! I couldnt' do that with black, red is too weak of a color to penetrate through black to show.
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

That actually came out great! Nice job
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanks! here are more updated pics, this time of the front seats. Lighting wasn't the greatest under the garage florescent lighting. Waiting for the dye to cure and adhere to the top surface completely before installing the parts removed from the seats during prep and to put it back into the car
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

and the ALMOST finished product, excuse the dirty car, it really isn't clean and hasn't been washed in over 2 weeks because it rained all last week.

Remaining items: leather door inserts and rear arm rest
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

That final result is simply excellent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanks! This "Dakota" leather that BMW uses on the E9x model appears to be less absorbent to the Leatherique dye than my E46 M3, which had a less grainy Nappa leather. 48oz of dye later (only 32 was needed for my M3), I'm still not 100% complete with everything! More dye needs to be ordered: Here are more pics for now, stll not 100% complete.

The white stuff on the front seat is parchment paper to prevent surfaces from rubbing or touching that would destroy the dyed surface until fully cured.
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Sticky said it best, that looks fantastic. I would never have guessed you dyed/painted the seats. Looks oem. Wish i had an excuse to dye my black seats, but i love my color combo in all honesty (Alpine white ext, black interior, brushed trim).
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Sticky said it best, that looks fantastic. I would never have guessed you dyed/painted the seats. Looks oem. Wish i had an excuse to dye my black seats, but i love my color combo in all honesty (Alpine white ext, black interior, brushed trim).
    Plus 1. OP where did you order the Leatherique from?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

What a great result for a DIY. + Rep for you!
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Mad props!
    I may have missed it but how long before you can actually use your seats without having to worry about the stuff rubbing off on clothes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Plus 1. OP where did you order the Leatherique from?
    Leatherique's own website is the only place to order the color.
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alpinedevil335 Click here to enlarge
    Mad props!
    I may have missed it but how long before you can actually use your seats without having to worry about the stuff rubbing off on clothes.
    It's best to wait a week before actually sitting on the material.

If you can't do that, I've had success using parchment paper to protect the area that your clothes will rub against, (lower back, buttock/thigh regions).

Heavy duty aluminum foil goes a long way to protect area's from over spray such as: metal studs on the headrests, plastic shroud surrounding the power seat controllers, front seat belts, front seat tracks, etc etc etc... and is substantially easier than using tape and newspaper (which can allow overspray to seep through if oversoaked)
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I think I'm going to do stock black.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

more recent pics, holding up fine, still looks new. Parchment paper was recently removed after the pics, looks oem.
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Looks excellent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanks, it's now been about a month in now and everything is dried/cured and ready to rock!

With that said, I am considering a different color now...I may do Maserati camel, which is essentially dark tan with a hint of orange, and looks lighter and more orange than BMW cinnamon.

Or Porsche cinnamon, where it's a dark saddle

Or Lexus cork, which is a camel color with a hint of orange

Or E39 M5 camel or E36 Modena...it goes on and on..but for now, BMW Cinnamon works out great! It's like what saddle brown looks like in pictures (burn't orange), but doesn't look "brown" like saddle brown does in person.
    Loe P.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

How did you get that color from leatherique. I don't see it listed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast