Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Word is that Google will be replacing Chrome OS with a more desktop-like Android at some point. They're both modified Linux kernels under the hood anyway. Android's Linux kernel is about 1 or 2 mods over the baseline Linux kernel at this point in time; and those mods have to do with power savings, etc. Eventually the source branches will merge and Android will BE Linux, I've already seen some projects running X-windows-based GUIs on Android instead of the Dalvik VM. Pretty slick stuff.

You really can't compare iOS to Android these days. Android's open-source-ness and collaborative focus has allowed it to have many features that iOS doesn't get until much later (several it still doesn't). True multitasking, notification system that doesn't suck, free development, windowed screens, widgets are good examples... anyone remember copy/paste? lol All the features do cause the spit-polish to decline a bit so Apple does tend to offer a more unified system. (It's also quite easy to do when you only support a few devices all with the same chipset-base versus hundreds running many different variants).

iOS is extremely simple though, and that is an advantage in some demographics. But with Android's adaptability, all it takes is a good manufacturer to make it simpler using their own interface. HTC's Sense is pretty awesome for simplicity as is Samsungs Touchwiz.

That being said, I don't want to hear anyone compare a jailbroken iPhone to a custom ROM'd Android phone. The jailbreak is closer to rooting a phone, not replacing the entire operating system and kernel.
    Last edited by Sered; 12-11-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hnic357 Click here to enlarge
    I keep hearing this praise for android os being so great. Battery management sounds like a great option. But home screen customization? Not sure how that's different from iPhone. I know those google phones will get better cause they have more developers working on them while iPhone is limited to one company. Makes sense that google phones will be better I just haven't heard anything special yet and want to know if I'm missing anything. Also does anyone use Siri? Only time I do is in the car to dial someone.
    Well every time I looked at a screen of an iPhone it looked exactly the same for every user. So I have no idea how much customization you can get on an iPhone. Maybe you can tell me if the iPhone can do this:

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ How do I make my home screen look like yours with the chick?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    ^ How do I make my home screen look like yours with the chick?
    These aren't my home screens, I just took a bunch of examples from XDA thread.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    These aren't my home screens, I just took a bunch of examples from XDA thread.
    Well I want a hot chick on my phone and for it to look like that. Help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well I want a hot chick on my phone and for it to look like that. Help.
    Well for starters the hot chic is Mila Kunis, so go find wallpaper of hers, put it on your phone. As far as the rest well ummm....I don't feel like looking so leave me alone!!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well for starters the hot chic is Mila Kunis, so go find wallpaper of hers, put it on your phone. As far as the rest well ummm....I don't feel like looking so leave me alone!!
    But you are my phone guide... without you I'm just a man wandering the android desert looking for my center.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well it looks great and now for today but in March when it supposedly releases that hardware is going to be a bit outdated. For instance:

1. Nexus 4 Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait 2GB Ram
    2. Nokia 920 Dual-core 1.5 GHz Krait 1GB Ram
    3. Droid Maxx HD
    Dual-core 1.5 GHz 1GB Ram
    4. Galaxy S3
    Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9 1GB Ram
    5. Galaxy Note 2
    Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A9 2GB Ram

There's of course more of these phones with similar specs as the 5 I listed already in circulation. The Galaxy S3 was released earlier this year, so once the BB10 gets out in March hopefully, that's around the same time that the Galaxy S4 will be getting released, and that thing is rumored to be a 6 core processor. It wont have the freshest hardware, it will have the same hardware phones have already had for months.
    Well for now yes it seems awesome, but like I said, it's all rumors as of now. Nobody knows what the final hardware will be like. I have a feeling that the new rim ceo Thorsten Heins, will make sure it's not the most dated phone when it comes out hardware wise. He's been emphasizing on how BB10 will be the new mobile computing platform, not just smartphones anymore. Only time will tell, if it performs as good as it looks in the videos then I will more than likely be grabbing one.

If BB10 isn't what it's cracked up to be then I will be patiently waiting to pickup a Galaxy S4.

Rim is releasing all the information for BB10 on Jan 30th and the phones should follow shortly thereafter. Most likely a mid to late February release or early March release
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm holding out for the 50 core smartphones.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Remember what I said earlier about Android and Linux kernels?

They just took one more step closer.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/linux-...rm-arm-kernels

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Remember what I said earlier about Android and Linux kernels?

They just took one more step closer.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/linux-...rm-arm-kernels
    That's awesome.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Android all day every day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hnic357 Click here to enlarge
    What's so bad about iTunes? Well I know it sucks but what's better? Google play? Serious question here.
    Well being that if you don't have a Android phone you can still hop on your computer and browse the Google Play store by just firing up the browser. Can I do the same with the Apple App Store? $#@! NO!!!! I need to install that $#@! called iTunes to even do a simple task like that....$#@!ing Apple.
    Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Got a new droid did the sync with my chrome, all the contacts and bookmarks, passwords in my new phone now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123