Thread: ///M Roadster gets Ball Bearings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

///M Roadster gets Ball Bearings

Roadster was in need of some maintenance so took the time apart to upgrade as well. After 2 years and 40k miles of the car requiring nothing other than regular oil changes, was time to replace some worn parts. The heat from the turbo being right on top of the plastic valve cover finally took it's toll and cracked it. While it was apart I replaced the valve cover and gasket, changed plugs, and new fluids. Removed the old Precision journal bearing PT74 and replaced it with a GT4094R, .82 a/r T4. The Garrett turbo sit's a little closer to the manifold and only had a 2.5" outlet vs 3" on the 74 so had to redo the hot side charge pipe. Also took the time to redo the upper portion of the downpipe to a little smoother flow and also to give the valve cover and engine cover a little more space. With the new turbo, it's a whole new car. Spool is significantly better as I anticipated and the car pulls harder and longer boost for boost than with the old turbo. Car is tuned on the stock DME by Nick G., I was worried about the tune being off but a/f still seems spot on at all instances. One of these days when I get around to it I'll pay Nick a visit and have him touch up the tune. Maybe I'll bring him a built motor in it next time too =D

Until then, here's some pictures during the turbo swap and some pictures I took today after I got it cleaned up

Enjoy!

-Shawn-

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Oil change for the bike this weekend too

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

That's a clean car you got Shawn Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

+1 this is hot.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)

Very nice, dig the rims.

Didn't realize Nick G did custom E36 work these days felt he was pretty much focused on the E46 DME's. Nice to see he can tackle both.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very nice, dig the rims.

Didn't realize Nick G did custom E36 work these days felt he was pretty much focused on the E46 DME's. Nice to see he can tackle both.
    Nick tuned the car at his shop back a few years ago, he will still do E36 stuff though for a certain handful of people. I'm finishing up a friends turbo E36 that he will be tuning here shortly. Tuning isn't the only thing Nick does, he has a full time job that occupies plenty of his time, and him and his wife just had a baby a few months ago. He's a busy man, luckily he still finds time to make some happy stock DME tuned BMW's Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by A4RingedONE8T Click here to enlarge
    Tuning isn't the only thing Nick does, he has a full time job that occupies plenty of his time, and him and his wife just had a baby a few months ago.
    Yes I was told this a little while ago by @PEI330Ci . Much respect he will still take the time for others.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes I was told this a little while ago by @PEI330Ci . Much respect he will still take the time for others.
    Indeed!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

40R is going to SWEET on that car. Should be absolutely ridiculous with some good fuel in it.
    I am sure it spools worlds better than what was in there before, good choice sir!
    Click here to enlarge
    ~Ken~ {'99 M coupe} 623 whp 516 wtq; RIP 3.24.13
    {'01 M coupe}...Status Gruppe V3 headers, CPI sec 1, B&B Triflow; RK tune coming soon!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nick tuned the car at his shop back a few years ago, he will still do E36 stuff though for a certain handful of people. I'm finishing up a friends turbo E36 that he will be tuning here shortly. Tuning isn't the only thing Nick does, he has a full time job that occupies plenty of his time, and him and his wife just had a baby a few months ago. He's a busy man, luckily he still finds time to make some happy stock DME tuned BMW's Click here to enlarge
    Great to hear, awesome work as always Shawn you will most definitely appreciate the 40R once dialed in by Nick G.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by z3speed4me Click here to enlarge
    40R is going to SWEET on that car. Should be absolutely ridiculous with some good fuel in it.
    I am sure it spools worlds better than what was in there before, good choice sir!
    Def a good choice in turbo. I have been using it on BMW's for many years now and had great success with it.

Hows your machine doing ? Its going to be a fun ride, looking forwards to results !

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ICS Performance Click here to enlarge
    Great to hear, awesome work as always Shawn you will most definitely appreciate the 40R once dialed in by Nick G.

Def a good choice in turbo. I have been using it on BMW's for many years now and had great success with it.

Hows your machine doing ? Its going to be a fun ride, looking forwards to results !

Correct.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by z3speed4me Click here to enlarge
    It's a completely different car with this turbo, I'm ready for more boost soon!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ICS Performance Click here to enlarge

Completely different car with this turbo! Can't wait to feel it on 21-22psi Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Correct.
    Great input! haha

Figured I should add some water lines too.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

After 2 years and 35k miles boosted with the old turbo, it only took a week with the new quicker spooling turbo and my rear end FINALLY gave up it's first few spot welds

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Getting married this weekend and will be out of town until the holidays but when I come back it's time for more upgrades! Randy Forbes subframe reinforcement, Ireland Engineering Urethane subframe bushings and rear trailing arm bushings, Ireland Engineering rear camber kit, Rogue dual ear diff cover, and I have a set of the newly redesigned Ground Control adjustable rear shocks to replace the old version adjustables I currently have. Once the rear end is beefed up it's time for some more power finally =D

Thanks for the comments everyone!

-Shawn-

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Haha I try. Can't wait for vids, and track action. Hi 5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very nice, dig the rims.

Only if you know him or those who do. He tuned my new setup Click here to enlarge
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    Click here to enlarge
    | GT3582R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS oring block & Elring HG | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 |
    | Nick G custom tune | 46mm Precision gate | 62# injectors | Dual 255's |

Goal to be the first GT35r E36 to: 30 psi, 140+ mph, < 6 second 60-130

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a completely different car with this turbo, I'm ready for more boost soon!

Completely different car with this turbo! Can't wait to feel it on 21-22psi Click here to enlarge

Great input! haha

Figured I should add some water lines too.

After 2 years and 35k miles boosted with the old turbo, it only took a week with the new quicker spooling turbo and my rear end FINALLY gave up it's first few spot welds

Getting married this weekend and will be out of town until the holidays but when I come back it's time for more upgrades! Randy Forbes subframe reinforcement, Ireland Engineering Urethane subframe bushings and rear trailing arm bushings, Ireland Engineering rear camber kit, Rogue dual ear diff cover, and I have a set of the newly redesigned Ground Control adjustable rear shocks to replace the old version adjustables I currently have. Once the rear end is beefed up it's time for some more power finally =D

Thanks for the comments everyone!

-Shawn-
    I'm surprised it didn't give up before this. But the mid range torque is where its at. Glad you finally have a proper turbo for you setup on there. Happy boosting!
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    Click here to enlarge
    | GT3582R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS oring block & Elring HG | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 |
    | Nick G custom tune | 46mm Precision gate | 62# injectors | Dual 255's |

Goal to be the first GT35r E36 to: 30 psi, 140+ mph, < 6 second 60-130

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rt turbo Click here to enlarge
    Only if you know him or those who do. He tuned my new setup Click here to enlarge
    I know a few guys who know him. I just realize this isn't his main business and he has other priorities so nice to see him still take time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rt turbo Click here to enlarge

How did that turn out?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Very close... all my stuff just came back from ceramic coating, exhaust is getting finished up now, just have to basically get the tune uploaded and then tweaked.
    I will be swinging up there sometime for some Dynojet numbers to compare to some other members Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    ~Ken~ {'99 M coupe} 623 whp 516 wtq; RIP 3.24.13
    {'01 M coupe}...Status Gruppe V3 headers, CPI sec 1, B&B Triflow; RK tune coming soon!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Astonishing piece of beauty,,,, superb well done and ..SO clean everything in the engine bay...Click here to enlarge
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO S3 8B38
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Great works. Where did you relocate the coolant overflow tank?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Great works. Where did you relocate the coolant overflow tank?
    It's on the drivers side strut tower, you can see it in the pics above