Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated photos showing CP-E (Custom Performance Engineering) N54 Twin Turbo upgrade kit progress - Yes, it's still coming

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

^Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to your kit just as much. The more ugraded twins the merrier!

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ^Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to your kit just as much. The more ugraded twins the merrier!
    No offense taken whatsoever. The craftsmanship on this kit looks second to none and we all know CP-e does awesome stuff. Its a tough act to follow to say the least...Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    Tony@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com

Making the world happier one turbocharger at a time
    N54 OEM - Stage 2 Batch 2 available!
    N55 Stage 1 - 2 upgrade available!
    Stage 3 production kits almost here!
    Shotgun HPFP upgrade pre-order now!
    N55 World Record: 477WHP / 509WTQ, 11.4 ET / 123MPH
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 558WHP
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record, Stock Motor: 573WHP / 537WTQ
    N54 (96-98 octane, no meth) World Record,
    Stock Motor: 673WHP / 564WTQ
    N54 (ERC 109 unleaded octane and meth) World Record, Stock Motor:
    725WHP / 609WTQ
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It's from this year PRI show in Orlando.! If everyone entered from the South entrance door (where the dyno are being shown outside the entrance), you would had surelly noticed them if you are a BMW fan!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    It's from this year PRI show in Orlando.! If everyone entered from the South entrance door (where the dyno are being shown outside the entrance), you would had surelly noticed them if you are a BMW fan!
    Ah, very good! That makes a lot more sense!
    Tony@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com

725WHP / 609WTQ
    Click here to enlarge

Itsbrokeagain is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

Looks sick!! Swain coated manifolds and intake piping? That would surely keep the heat down..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Looks sick!! Swain coated manifolds and intake piping? That would surely keep the heat down..
    Those are rapidly prototyped plastic pipes Click here to enlarge
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    I'm pretty sure those pics are from this year's SEMA show in Vegas. Someone else local to CPE said they would be offering 3 turbos sizes ranging from 600-1000 hp or something like that. Either way they look sick and the more options the better. Hopefully CPE will chime in with an update.
    Last edited by Blaizon; 12-05-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Question answered by m54b25

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    these pictures were taken a year ago
    You need to learn who you can trust. A random guy emailing pics might have his own reasons to keep the info out from the forum scrutiny.

Anyone here can see the progress CP-E has made since the last year SEMA. Still some development to do though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Not digging the log manifold on such large turbos--if they are indeed some of the bigger GTX turbos. No thanks. For something that flows that much air, I'd rather have a twin-scroll with a EL tubular than that kind of setup.
    Last edited by Sered; 12-05-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Itsbrokeagain is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Not digging the log manifold on such large turbos--if they are indeed some of the bigger GTX turbos. No thanks. For something that flows that much air, I'd rather have a twin-scroll with a EL tubular than that kind of setup.
    Some log manifolds can flow just as well as tubular ones...as evidenced by SteedSpeed and HPFs cast log setup for the E46 M3.

For the packaging constraints, i think its a great setup. CPe I think is one of very few (if not the only one) companies that has a Foundry in which to cast parts...AMS's bellmouth downpipes, intercooler endtanks, and various turbo parts for the EVo and GTR are cast by CPe...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    You need to learn who you can trust. A random guy emailing pics might have his own reasons to keep the info out from the forum scrutiny.

Anyone here can see the progress CP-E has made since the last year SEMA. Still some development to do though.
    Has nothing to do with trust it had everything to do with me not reading properly. The old pictures we dated a year ago so I assumed it was 2 different things they were working on from that time period. Not everything is cloak and dagger, its a turbo kit not a secret black ops mission. And about the log style manifolds, a properly designed log design has been proven to flow very well and in a lot of cases just as good as a coil of snakes tubular manifold this is going to crack on you in 6 months and a few hundred thousand heat cycles. And I totally agree, cpe has every tool at its disposal to come up with some really cool stuff. A foundry being a huge one.
    Tony@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com

725WHP / 609WTQ
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Looking at it on the computer now (was on my phone last night) I don't see any pre-turbo O2 sensor bungs. Wouldn't this pose a problem for tuning?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    Looking at it on the computer now (was on my phone last night) I don't see any pre-turbo O2 sensor bungs. Wouldn't this pose a problem for tuning?
    Pre-turbo 02 bungs? Not sure where you are seeing those. I see all 4 in the downpipes where they should be.
    Tony@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com

725WHP / 609WTQ
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Love CP-E stuff! Looks like they changed the manifold design SIGNIFICANTLY since their last pics were shown. As I have always said, it is going to be VERY "busy and congested with parts, require much creativity, and still have some disappointments here and there" trying to make this work. Some OEM supporting parts (non turbo related ie motor mounts, coolant plumbing, obviously oil and coolant lines, heat shields) are going to have be discarded, revised, etc. Looks like they now just need to get some compressor outlets in place, along with all of the oiling an cooling lines. It is going to be a VERY hard and costly install, and hopefully it clears the actual engine bay when said and done. The tuning side adopters will be interesting to see considering they are using the external gates.

The rear turbo inlet I am a little confused on where else it will be plumbed, or if the filter is right there? If so, not real impressed there, but again with a true twin turbo setup on the N54 there are going to be some things you have to just "accept" as it is a disaster to say the least to do this right. If anyone can though, it is CP-E.

The cost of this kit (although likely is very fair as CP-E is known for awesome parts produced correctly and at a great cost) it will be VERY expensive. Definitely $9k+ for the kit alone, at best. Price you pay to go fast though. Looking forward to how this comes together- they do not have far to go now with the hardware.

Glad to hear there is more Competition in this arena, and also see some pics/results as well. Also glad to hear Vargas is going the OEM approach of Turbo orientation, although I am not sure how the inlet plumbing is going to have ideal size yet have proper fitment. Retaining the OEM Wastegate Internal Actuators will also keep Vargas open for all tuners to tackle, which is great, but still maybe some growing pains as rattles and adjustments are necessary over time using the Garrett gates that likely will not weather the open flapper storm they were not designed to endure. Whatever the case, whoever can defy all the pitfalls and make a great kit that fits cleanly and at a fair price will ultimately win this market, it is just going to be very VERY tough to make a kit to fit this bill.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 12-05-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Pre-turbo 02 bungs? Not sure where you are seeing those. I see all 4 in the downpipes where they should be.
    I guess I was confused. Thanks for the clarification.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Soooo 3 more years before this thing comes to fruition? Seems like anything N54 related is moving at an old drunk snail's pace.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    I guess I was confused. Thanks for the clarification.
    I think you may have been comparing this to the Single Turbo's. They use pre-turbo O2 sensors to split the banks. I.E. HPF and FFTEC Manifolds. With the twin turbo's you can maintain the same O2 placement as is the stock setup. The reason of the difference comes down to being able to tune the car properly and not have interfering signals(AFR).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Since, I'm only at the race course, TWINS all the way! This should pave the way for the first 1,000HP N54! Are we the new supra?

lulz_m3 is offline Full Throttle

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

This turbo project moves at the same pace as old people $#@!.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

good post Rob.. I hope we can make xxxx-whp on this platform. That would be awesome and I would be very happy to have chosen this over other when purchased in 2008.
    Tired of being cold? I sell pieces of paradise! Click here to enlargePM me for more info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NJrep335i Click here to enlarge
    I think you may have been comparing this to the Single Turbo's. They use pre-turbo O2 sensors to split the banks. I.E. HPF and FFTEC Manifolds. With the twin turbo's you can maintain the same O2 placement as is the stock setup. The reason of the difference comes down to being able to tune the car properly and not have interfering signals(AFR).
    Yeah. That's exactly what happened. Wasn't thinking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Since, I'm only at the race course, TWINS all the way! This should pave the way for the first 1,000HP N54! Are we the new supra?
    the new supra!?!?!? we have xDrive

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Love CP-E stuff! Looks like they changed the manifold design SIGNIFICANTLY since their last pics were shown. As I have always said, it is going to be VERY "busy and congested with parts, require much creativity, and still have some disappointments here and there" trying to make this work. Some OEM supporting parts (non turbo related ie motor mounts, coolant plumbing, obviously oil and coolant lines, heat shields) are going to have be discarded, revised, etc. Looks like they now just need to get some compressor outlets in place, along with all of the oiling an cooling lines. It is going to be a VERY hard and costly install, and hopefully it clears the actual engine bay when said and done. The tuning side adopters will be interesting to see considering they are using the external gates.

The rear turbo inlet I am a little confused on where else it will be plumbed, or if the filter is right there? If so, not real impressed there, but again with a true twin turbo setup on the N54 there are going to be some things you have to just "accept" as it is a disaster to say the least to do this right. If anyone can though, it is CP-E.

The cost of this kit (although likely is very fair as CP-E is known for awesome parts produced correctly and at a great cost) it will be VERY expensive. Definitely $9k+ for the kit alone, at best. Price you pay to go fast though. Looking forward to how this comes together- they do not have far to go now with the hardware.

Glad to hear there is more Competition in this arena, and also see some pics/results as well. Also glad to hear Vargas is going the OEM approach of Turbo orientation, although I am not sure how the inlet plumbing is going to have ideal size yet have proper fitment. Retaining the OEM Wastegate Internal Actuators will also keep Vargas open for all tuners to tackle, which is great, but still maybe some growing pains as rattles and adjustments are necessary over time using the Garrett gates that likely will not weather the open flapper storm they were not designed to endure. Whatever the case, whoever can defy all the pitfalls and make a great kit that fits cleanly and at a fair price will ultimately win this market, it is just going to be very VERY tough to make a kit to fit this bill.

Rob
    +1 Im dodging boulders and jumping snake pits as we speak trying to avoid all these pitfalls.
    Last edited by VargasTurboTech; 12-05-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    Tony@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com

725WHP / 609WTQ
    Click here to enlarge

Sticky is offline Regular User
    registration open

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1444 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    Soooo 3 more years before this thing comes to fruition? Seems like anything N54 related is moving at an old drunk snail's pace.
    This looks like it will be worth any wait.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast