Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Square&Level Click here to enlarge
    p2aaf
    29fe
    Alot of people throw 2aaf when they install cobb, but I actually can't find what 29fe is...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ethanol used in fuels is dehydrogenated, meaning they contain ZERO water content.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Ethanol used in fuels is dehydrogenated, meaning they contain ZERO water content.
    True, when mixed with gasoline at the refinery or distribution terminal. The fancy chemistry term is anhydrous. Dehydrogenation is actually the process of the removal of hydrogen, not water.

Because the ethanol is anhydrous, I don't think separation would be a problem normally. However, you can't guarantee it won't pick up water between then and when it is burned. Weeks could literally go by in between. Will it pick up enough water for separation to be a problem? Not likely, in my opinion, unless something is wrong with how the fuel is stored.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 Click here to enlarge
    Alot of people throw 2aaf when they install cobb, but I actually can't find what 29fe is...
    29FE is "Secondary Air Injection System" according to the document linked to here.

It could be related to the O2 sensors or catalytic converter from what I am reading.

Square and Level,

So you change maps and this problem goes away? Does the problem happen if you are not running the OTS E30 map for the whole tank? Any chance you can take a sample of fuel from the inlet to the HPFP when the code is thrown and test to see how much ethanol is present? This would be the best way to confirm or rule out a ethanol mixture problem.

This site has everything you need to test the fuel for ethanol content. Google "ethanol guidebook 40243.pdf" (without quotes) for testing instructions.

[EDIT] The weird thing is I don't believe the N54 has a secondary air injection system. I have read this code could have something to do with the EVAP system as well.
    Last edited by ajm8127; 12-07-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    True, when mixed with gasoline at the refinery or distribution terminal. The fancy chemistry term is anhydrous. Dehydrogenation is actually the process of the removal of hydrogen, not water.
    You are absolutely correct! It's been a very busy day for me and I was having hard time remembering the correct term. Anhydrous is what I meant.

That's why I'd never blend off-the-shelf pure ethanol with regular fuel. Only E85 fuel blend.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The N54 does not have secondary air injection system. It is not needed.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12