Close

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5 with BMS cobb flash solved my flatline issues!!!
    Say goodbye to -3 deg of timing post shift and on the slightest overboost!1
    Plus the boost control is stupid simple.. Best $500 I spent to far!!

Big Thanks to Terry on his product and EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERIVICE!!!

A few datalogs attached in the .zip folder

3rd - 6th gear pull was done with E60 (no meth)
    Are you using the race flash or the pump flash? You're getting 6-7 degrees post shift with a hard ramp up. Either way its better than -1.5 lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

WOW!!! That timing recovery post shift is impressive.

Well done Terry.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Here's my first log testing the flatline fix. Mind you, this is on a pump gas timing target on Map 2, straight 93 octane only, no meth, no E85.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Very nice..
    Glad to see you fixed the dreaded "flatline" that drove all of us crazy..!!
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Are you using the race flash or the pump flash? You're getting 6-7 degrees post shift with a hard ramp up. Either way its better than -1.5 lol.
    Using the terry's bms e85 flash map
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

@boosted-M , everything else is squared away with your car now? Since we spoke?
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    @boosted-M , everything else is squared away with your car now? Since we spoke?
    Yes sir, car is a blast to drive and the confidence of knowing the car will throw you back in the seat when I downshift on the highway or stab the throttle in 5th or 6th gear is the best it has EVER been with this car..!!!
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

@Terry@BMS

When you are saying that sometimes the car drops timing and some times it doesn't, do you remember the circumstances in which those occurred? The reason why I am asking is that with Cobb, I was and still am (to some extent) seeing boost oscillations and therefore timing drops if I am cruising in 4th or 5th gear and then decide to gun it.

However, if I row through my gears, this does not occur.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    @Terry@BMS

When you are saying that sometimes the car drops timing and some times it doesn't, do you remember the circumstances in which those occurred? The reason why I am asking is that with Cobb, I was and still am (to some extent) seeing boost oscillations and therefore timing drops if I am cruising in 4th or 5th gear and then decide to gun it.

This is a 6AT specific timing recovery issue when doing multi-gear pulls. Not related to your issue which I also see when rolling into WOT from part throttle cruise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

@Terry@BMS

With just the Cobb if I was in 4th or 5th gear and gunned it, 80% of the time I would have timing drops from boost oscillation..
    I know longer have this issue using the jb4 for boost control
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

With just the Cobb if I was in 4th or 5th gear and gunned it, 80% of the time I would have timing drops from boost oscillation..
    I know longer have this issue using the jb4 for boost control

I see. I am glad it works for your car.

I really do not like the stacking of tunes at all. This is patchwork (albeit a working one) and it simply means that the tunes are not good enough to handle it on their own. Write the software once and do it right. If the modifying tables and a few algorithms is not enough, then rewrite the flash from scratch. It's a common thing to completely rewrite the ECU firmware and logic in VW/AUDI engines. What do you think ProEFI will be doing with their standalone?... imitating the BOSCH logic?
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I was not fond of stacking either but after pulling my hair out messing with the boost control then the flatline fix I found the $500 was well spent.. I'm very happy with the stacked tunes plus I can easily sell the jb4 down the road and recoup most of my money spent..
    For Sale:

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

^^ Fair point! I agree. If it works it works. I am glad you are satisfied with the end result.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

I see. I am glad it works for your car.

I really do not like the stacking of tunes at all. This is patchwork (albeit a working one) and it simply means that the tunes are not good enough to handle it on their own. Write the software once and do it right. If the modifying tables and a few algorithms is not enough, then rewrite the flash from scratch. It's a common thing to completely rewrite the ECU firmware and logic in VW/AUDI engines. What do you think ProEFI will be doing with their standalone?... imitating the BOSCH logic?
    Precisely. The tunes aren't good enough to handle ALL issues on their own. You take the good of both to get the car running the way it needs to.

Until we get all the tables exposed or at least the ones relevant to the issues we have, Cobb alone won't do the trick as you're also experiencing first hand. Sucks but such is life with an N54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

On another note, turned on my meth kit (90/10 mix) on 93 octane and loaded Terry's E85 flash with a 45 additive on Map 3. Didn't get to log it, but 38 degree weather + massive timing = win. Think I got 9 degrees post-shift eyeballing the in-dash gauges. I gotta log it to confirm but a newborn is thwarting my plans!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

@Terry@BMS

The "flatline" is a specific condition in automatic cars where timing drops post shift not due to knock but due to some mapping condition in the DME. It has nothing to do with boost or oscillation. That would be a PID related issue most likely.

Also the JB4+BMS flash is not technically a "tune stack". We wrote both maps in such a way so they each do different things. A tune stack would be taking a tune from one tuner and then running it with a tune from another tuner, where they are both fighting over controlling the same parameters. What you might mean to say is you don't like "piggybacks". A lot of people feel the same way. But when done right they work very well. IMHO the ultimate piggyback is removing the original DME from the equation all together with an aftermarket management system.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

On another note, turned on my meth kit (90/10 mix) on 93 octane and loaded Terry's E85 flash with a 45 additive on Map 3. Didn't get to log it, but 38 degree weather + massive timing = win. Think I got 9 degrees post-shift eyeballing the in-dash gauges. I gotta log it to confirm but a newborn is thwarting my plans!
    lol between a newborn and a new mom I'm surprised you are able to do any logs at all. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    lol between a newborn and a new mom I'm surprised you are able to do any logs at all. Click here to enlarge
    The hope is after I log this car one more time at both a 6200-6300 shift, and once at a redline shift and confirm flatline is fixed on my car for good, I won't have to log much anymore. Click here to enlarge So far, I couldn't make the car do it, pump gas or meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Good looking log on 93+meth on additive 45 (17.3 psi peak or so) results are promising! Found out that the 30 bias across the board results in an 11.2 - 11.5 AFR so that's going down to 10. I am getting almost 8 degrees of timing post-shift on the 4-5 shift which is sweet. However, those throttle closures immediately post-shift are correlated to the dummy feed the DME is getting from the JB4 as it's higher than the set point. Sounds like an easy firmware fix though, so no big deal. It's quite nice being able to shift at close-to-optimal shift points for maximum acceleration without worrying about a flatline!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Here's an example of what I think is causing those post-shift throttle closures. Should be easily fixed I think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Here's my first log testing the flatline fix. Mind you, this is on a pump gas timing target on Map 2, straight 93 octane only, no meth, no E85.
    Wow, I need this. Mine still flatline every time.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Good looking log on 93+meth on additive 45 (17.3 psi peak or so) results are promising! Found out that the 30 bias across the board results in an 11.2 - 11.5 AFR so that's going down to 10. I am getting almost 8 degrees of timing post-shift on the 4-5 shift which is sweet. However, those throttle closures immediately post-shift are correlated to the dummy feed the DME is getting from the JB4 as it's higher than the set point. Sounds like an easy firmware fix though, so no big deal. It's quite nice being able to shift at close-to-optimal shift points for maximum acceleration without worrying about a flatline!
    It's all working as it should be. Throttle is used to trim boost when it gets over target. If you want to reduce throttle trimming but don't mind making less power you can raise the auto shift boost reduction. Which will lower PWM and as a result reduce boost post shift. Normally you'll run fastest with a touch of throttle movement post shift meaning boost is a touch over target. But you can set it however you'd like to set it.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    It's all working as it should be. Throttle is used to trim boost when it gets over target. If you want to reduce throttle trimming but don't mind making less power you can raise the auto shift boost reduction. Which will lower PWM and as a result reduce boost post shift. Normally you'll run fastest with a touch of throttle movement post shift meaning boost is a touch over target. But you can set it however you'd like to set it.
    Fair enough, but if u look at my pump gas log earlier in this page the same overshoot occurs post shift yet it does not trim throttle to the extent of this map 3 log.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

The higher the boost target the more aggressively it will trim.
    Burger Motorsports

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast