Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

So my Turbos are gone! -- Time for RB's

My stockers finally took their last sh*t the other night. Same issue I had a couple times before, rear waste-gate stuck open. I've been able to adjust the rod, from time to time but it finally reach the limit. Not adjustable any more, plus I know that wasn't a fix, just wanted to get to the end.

So, essentially, time to really upgrade if I'm going to spend the $$ to replace them in the first place. A few questions:

1) I imagine, for RBs it has to be directly through Rob correct? No re-sellers?
    2) If you're from South florida; what shop do you recommend for the install? That will also install LSD and have reputable work.
    Plan to install both at the same time. I know all about Active, just not a big fan of their customer service.
    3) For those that have installed; what am I looking at during install, time wise at least?

These questions may be around, but I've been out of it for a few months. So please save your "search" comments if you have nothing else to say.

Thanks
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yandyr, good to see you post again. As far as I know there are no resellers for RBs, go to him direct. How are you liking the 135i handling with the KWs? I am looking to get back into a 135i in the spring but it needs a serious suspension overhaul and I am curious if coilovers do the tricks. Was also wondering about 1M busings etc. Anyway good luck!
    2015 F82 M4 - DCT - YMB
    2008 E90 335xi - AT - TSM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Irishace Click here to enlarge
    Yandyr, good to see you post again. As far as I know there are no resellers for RBs, go to him direct. How are you liking the 135i handling with the KWs? I am looking to get back into a 135i in the spring but it needs a serious suspension overhaul and I am curious if coilovers do the tricks. Was also wondering about 1M busings etc. Anyway good luck!
    For the street, the V2's are more than enough, easily adjustable and ride quality's supreme. But, I will be changing mine out to the Clubsport version, just because I tend to track allot, and they're limited there.

When I do the LSD, will most likely do the bushing upgrade, I can't comment on it, since they're not on yet.
    || DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bummer but at least you have an excuse to upgrade .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    10-12 hrs install time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Bummer but at least you have an excuse to upgrade .
    it's always an excuse Click here to enlarge, like hitting the wall at an HPDE event, excuse to upgrade to a CF wide body Click here to enlarge. Now upgraded turbos.. haha

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    10-12 hrs install time.
    Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    10-12 hrs install time.
    And this will be @ about $100 p/hour? Little more? Im unaware of rates for work like this.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by yandyr Click here to enlarge
    it's always an excuse Click here to enlarge, like hitting the wall at an HPDE event, excuse to upgrade to a CF wide body Click here to enlarge. Now upgraded turbos.. haha

Thanks
    Haha sounds like a good excuse to me! 135i's are turning out to be quite the little performers. The average weight savings over an E92 is like 300+ pounds right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eric335 Click here to enlarge
    And this will be @ about $100 p/hour? Little more? Im unaware of rates for work like this.

I got a quote today for $136hr, seems a bit steep to me, so hoping to find or negotiate that down a bit. Specially with the extra work, LSD install, and such.

Haha sounds like a good excuse to me! 135i's are turning out to be quite the little performers. The average weight savings over an E92 is like 300+ pounds right?
    I believe somewhere around there, not exactly sure but 200-300lbs depending on model/options.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    RBs go in as easy as OEM, and most places charge between 9-12 hrs. whatever the shop rate for that is, $100/hr probably isnt far off.
    I had VAC do mine way back

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Id wait on vargas, and see what numbers they put out.. but if you cannot wait... then go RBs.. but vargas seriously might be worth the wait.
    Click here to enlarge
    Instagram: Sammy0559
    VTX3's Click here to enlarge
    Got one more tow with AAA lets make it count Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sammy_0559 Click here to enlarge
    Id wait on vargas, and see what numbers they put out.. but if you cannot wait... then go RBs.. but vargas seriously might be worth the wait.
    The problem with waiting to see what Vargas puts out, is that mine are already dead. So it's either leave the car in hibernation for "...insert_time..." or go with something that's been proven. If they were already out, the consideration would be there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2110 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The problem with waiting to see what Vargas puts out, is that mine are already dead. So it's either leave the car in hibernation for "...insert_time..." or go with something that's been proven. If they were already out, the consideration would be there.
    About one month out but ya I don't blame you for not wanting to wait.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    About one month out but ya I don't blame you for not wanting to wait.
    gonna be close. I'm about 1 month or less from ordering one of the 2 haha
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Local labor runs $1000-$1200 depending on whether it includes fluids, etc. Every now and then I think of throwing a single turbo on our white 135i but those RBs run so well I'm hesitant to remove them.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Local labor runs $1000-$1200 depending on whether it includes fluids, etc. Every now and then I think of throwing a single turbo on our white 135i but those RBs run so well I'm hesitant to remove them.
    How about an upgraded transmission? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Eh I hate dealing with transmissions. I've solved my woes by slowing down at 130mph. At least for now. Once I'm able to get it to a track and do a few runs then I'll worry about building it. Maybe before then level10 or one of these other trans shops will have a proven option for us. In the mean time I'm waiting around for a torque converter to play with.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Single turbos while nice, for my use, I'll miss the low end punch of the twins too much I think.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Eh I hate dealing with transmissions. I've solved my woes by slowing down at 130mph. At least for now. Once I'm able to get it to a track and do a few runs then I'll worry about building it. Maybe before then level10 or one of these other trans shops will have a proven option for us. In the mean time I'm waiting around for a torque converter to play with.
    The torque converter isn't the problem, the friction rings are shot and it gets progressively worse with the heat the tranny generates at that power level. Most reputable tranny shops should be able to build it using stock parts no problem. I've seen the ZFHP19 teardown and it's relatively straightforward actually. Unless you plan on keeping that 135i for another 100k miles, I think the lifespan of stock friction rings shouldn't be too much of an issue at RB turbo power levels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

I have not torn it down yet to further investigate so this is all based on speculation. But I've burned through and rebuilt quite a few transmissions in the past. With new OEM parts, maybe some valve body tweaks, etc, I likely will get few passes out of it. But I haven't seen anything to make me believe the trans problems are a "fluke" and that the overall OEM build and parts are up to the task of 500wtq for long.

The converter is mostly locked during the times that I have the most slippage so while heat generation is probably a factor I don't believe it's the root cause. An aftermarket cooler isn't a bad idea I just don't see it solving any short term problems. The OEM cooler isn't that bad.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have not torn it down yet to further investigate so this is all based on speculation. But I've burned through and rebuilt quite a few transmissions in the past. With new OEM parts, maybe some valve body tweaks, etc, I likely will get few passes out of it. But I haven't seen anything to make me believe the trans problems are a "fluke" and that the overall OEM build and parts are up to the task of 500wtq for long.

The converter is mostly locked during the times that I have the most slippage so while heat generation is probably a factor I don't believe it's the root cause. An aftermarket cooler isn't a bad idea I just don't see it solving any short term problems. The OEM cooler isn't that bad.
    To be honest, I go easy on the car in 2nd gear, and start most of my pulls from a roll in 3rd, where stress on components is not nearly as significant as someone launching in 1st in full race trim on slicks.

I think Level 10 offers an upgrade kit with higher rated friction rings specific to our transmission. If you can build the thing yourself, may be worth the $1200 they're asking.

My buddy used to sit there building GM transmissions in his backyard on a regular basis, so i'm going off what he is telling me. Could be wrong, could be spot-on, but I have little reason to doubt he's incorrect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you're slippin', then it's usually due to burn't clutch packs. most notoriously 3rd. I used to own honda's so, I'm very familiar with tranny issues.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Yandy, good luck bro. Your videos inspired me to get the cobb tune for the track. Oh, and your right, twins all the way at the track. The single takes too long to spool after a corner. Remember to post vids, when you go to the track with RB's and the LSD. I'm getting my LSD put in next year. I simply can't wait!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    If you're slippin', then it's usually due to burn't clutch packs. most notoriously 3rd. I used to own honda's so, I'm very familiar with tranny issues.
    Don't get me wrong, I have some burnt clutch packs. But I'm chasing down a few distinct issues with it.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 Click here to enlarge
    Yandy, good luck bro. Your videos inspired me to get the cobb tune for the track. Oh, and your right, twins all the way at the track. The single takes too long to spool after a corner. Remember to post vids, when you go to the track with RB's and the LSD. I'm getting my LSD put in next year. I simply can't wait!
    Well at least they were good for something. How's that going for you?

------

Now I'm on the fence whether to wait for the Vargas stg2 or not. I'm assuming the stg2 are the ones comparable to RB?

Wondering if @VargasTurboTech can chime in, on power delivery, expected reliability. This car will be pretty much pushed to it's limits 15-20 weekends a year during HPDE days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wondering if @VargasTurboTech can chime in, on power delivery, expected reliability. This car will be pretty much pushed to it's limits 15-20 weekends a year during HPDE days.
    Its all speculation at this point, honestly just wait until someone actually puts these on and gets some results.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast