Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    at a guess, the 30 was becoming too thin when it heated up fully, the -40 stays a lot thicker, so it's taking more heat away by being in the same spot a bit longer?
    I just had this conversation with a n54 owner, with no tune, and he runs at least 10deg hotter than me with the only difference being oil (he uses Castrol 5w30). I think a thinner oil would produce lower temps due to the increased flow. Knowing the pressures between the 2 would be interesting... oil grades may not be so precise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

I believe thicker oil has the ability to hold more heat (specific heat). Mobil 1 0w40 does appear thicker at temperature than BMW Castrol 5w30 (as 30 vs. 40 should imply).

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=478670

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1722539

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    I use Rotella T6 5W-40. I know it's diesel oil before somebody says it.

I use this oil as well for a couple reasons:
    • It has been a top performer in many categories in many private oil performance comparisons I have seen and regularly used in turbo applications
    • Its a true PAO base synthetic oil
    • It contains more ZDDP (one of the best anti wear agents) than found in oils only intended for gasoline only applications (for emissions reasons)
    • Low ash and other formulations that help with things common to N54 and many diesel applications (DI/ carbon deposits and turbo)
    • While not certified to the LL-01 spec, it exceeds every specification that make up the LL-01 spec as far as I can tell
    • It's easy to find and relatively inexpensive compared to Mobil, Shell etc.

It terms of the standards, Anyone can look these up:

BMW LL-01 5W-30 meets:
    API: SL/CF
    ACEA: A3/B3 (longlife, extended drain intervals)

Rotella 5W-40 meets:
    API: SM (exceeds SL/CF, safe for cat conv., approved for gasoline engines)
    API: CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, SM, SL, SJ, SH
    ACEA: E9 (longlife, extended drain intervals for diesel engines)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    I just had this conversation with a n54 owner, with no tune, and he runs at least 10deg hotter than me with the only difference being oil (he uses Castrol 5w30). I think a thinner oil would produce lower temps due to the increased flow. Knowing the pressures between the 2 would be interesting... oil grades may not be so precise.
    the thin oil would become even THINNER, this more classically is known to give lubrication issues as it's TOO thin, i can't be sure on heat differences, maybe BITOG forums have words on it?

oil grades certainly have much variance... a thick 30 can be very close to a thin 40, they're just either side of the line..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I run the Rotella in my Ls powered S-10, and so far, so good. It's synthetic, and cheap, so I'm sticking with it. In my 335, I run Mobil 1 0w-40. I use a quart of oil around 5,000 miles.... Has anyone noticed reduced consumption with other oils?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

No oil consumption for me with the rotella. I do 5k oil change intervals though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

motul 300v 5w40 racing oil no problems at all. Even when sitting at speed limiter for 5 minutes straight...

my car takes a beating everyday
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I used Rotella T6 5w-40 in my WRX/STI and now my 335xi. All turbo cars have a tendency to use oil but with the Rotella, my consumption is not noticeable. I change it at 4-5k and engine seems happy, LOL!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

ive been using Amsoil 5w40 Euro oil.. so far so good i change it every 5k miles.. these cars are hard on oil (high temps)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    I stay OEM, oil changes every 10-12k
    +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Honestly, I am done with the BMW OEM oil you get from the dealership. It gets beaten down too quickly for my taste and it starts burning up after 3000 miles.

I do take my car regularly on a road courses though across the Midwest...

I am switching to Valvoline SynPower 5W-40. It's tier 4 pure synthetic oil and it is BMW LL-01 approved. I've done extensive research on it on my last car and its outstanding.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Oil is something that really should be left alone IMHO unless you expose your car to harsh operating conditions of a road course or auto-x. Running anything but OEM on the street with some spirited driving here and there is a moot point.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    german castrol 0w-30.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Ive been running stock oil from day one with no issues and my car has never burnt any oil. I push my car everyday redline it at least twice and large figures everyday. I replaced my oil every 7k and when i got tuned every 5k. Car runs great im at 46k now.
    ground control coilovers/wavetrac lsd/ full m3 suspension/delrin bushings/ megan racing toe and camber arms/bmw oem performance carbon fiber front lip and rear deck spoiler/m3 strut brace/ecs SS brakelines/CPE dci's, charge pipe, catless dp, fmic/bms OCC/tuningtechfs custom tune/defiv diff lockdownkit,rbpcv valve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Castrol SPT 5w-40 worked well in my 335is. It burned oil like a Saudi prince on the OEM 5w-30. Much better n the 40 weight, even after going to JB4 and E85. It's also BMW LL01 rated, so it's warranty friendly.
    Current: '00 S2000
    Previous: '15 M235i xDrive | '15 Macan S | '15 WRX STi | '06 Cayman S | '12 E92 335is w/JB4 | '10 STi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

OEM until someone actually shows catastrophic failures caused by oil breakdown. Car uses about a pint & a half in 8K miles.
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Motul 5w40 X-Cess

James with RRT racing swears by it. Has been using in it in several customer cars and has zero carbon build up on those vehicles.

Its the only oil I've found that someone I believe has recommended to reduce proclivity for carbon buildup. Plus if you buy in bulk on amazon it's less than the BMW brand crap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Turkeybaster:
    You couldn't be more wrong:
    "Motul 5w40 X-Cess

James with RRT racing swears by it. Has been using in it in several customer cars and has zero carbon build up on those vehicles.

Its the only oil I've found that someone I believe has recommended to reduce proclivity for carbon buildup. Plus if you buy in bulk on amazon it's less than the BMW brand crap."

And on other forums Bimmerboost for example there are some with close to 180K miles and had the carbon build up walnit blasting and changed oil away from Castrol/BMW oil to hight flash point and have not had to do anything over the last 120K miles....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Anyone have any experience with Royal Purple? The local tuning place here recommends it highly. I'm on Mobil 1 right now, but I've been told I need to not be running Mobil. :p
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

LiquiMolly 5w-30 is what my shop recommended. Anyone have experience?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robertm Click here to enlarge
    Motul 5w40 X-Cess

Its the only oil I've found that someone I believe has recommended to reduce proclivity for carbon buildup. Plus if you buy in bulk on amazon it's less than the BMW brand crap.
    I switched from mobile 1 European blend 0w40 to the xcess and my oil temps are noticeably higher. I'm going back to m1 next change. I'd hate to see where my temps would be in the FL summer heat with the xcess.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

is there any proof that it matters and isnt just the look of the bottle thats matters?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I switched from mobile 1 European blend 0w40 to the xcess and my oil temps are noticeably higher. I'm going back to m1 next change. I'd hate to see where my temps would be in the FL summer heat with the xcess.

Interesting. I just did my first oil change to the x-cess stuff this weekend. Been very cold here so will be a while before I can tell if running temps increase. I doubt they will compared to the 5w30 BMW Castrol I had been running. It does seem like it takes a bit longer to get up to temp but could be my imagination.

I didn't switch for increased heat capacity though, my car has never had issue with this. I don't track it very often and it came with a bunch of factory coolers. I'm hoping for decreased carbon build-up. First oil change with new oil is at 20k. Installed OCC at 15k. Only time will tell if any of this makes a difference. Since the cost is a wash, worst case I will still need to clean up the valvetrain at some point in the future.
    Last edited by robertm; 01-02-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12