Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Couple Codes Thrown, Couple Questions...

Car Specs:
    • 07 335i 6MT 38k Miles
    • Procede Rev2.5
    • 9-10 Aggressive maps, map 1, 93 octane
    • No mods (downpipes in the living room)
    • Spark plugs have 200 miles on them.

Codes:

• 2F0D (12045) - Radiator blind, input signal, (GLF)
      EXPLANATION: Something with the cooling system.
      FIX: Dealer it.
    • 29D1 (10700-something) - Cylinder 5 Misfire/SES Light

The 2F0D i have had for a while, and ive heard that it is fixed with a firmware update. The 29D1 code is something that occurred today on my drive home from work.

Misfire Conditons:

• 50-75% throttle
    • Engine up to temp ~190*F
    • The car 'stuttered' or 'jerked', then a large farting sound, RPMs jump
    • SES came on, idle was really $#@!ty
    • pulled over, restarted the car, idle/ran fine, but SES was still there

Ive had several (what i assume to be) 'misfires' before, but only this time did the SES light not go away when i restarted the car. As you can see, i replaced all my spark plugs less than 200 miles ago in order to fix the misfires i was having. It solved it for a while, but now this is happening. I ended up datalogging the car at idle (which gave me both of these codes). The car's idle was very lopey and inconsistent.

What to do?
    I was planning on installing my new AA Downpipes the weekend, but i guess not Click here to enlarge Should i go ahead and order/replace the coil? Im guessing this is the problem. I havent had a misfire/SES light yet that didnt go away after the car was restarted, and ive never datalogged the misfire codes before (just the SES/rough idle, pull over, restart, car is fine, no codes when datalogged).

Also, does engine temp affect misfires? Ive noticed that im less likely to get misfires when the car has been run for 20+ minutes and is over 220*F. Perhaps by then the car has pulled enough timing to stop this from happening?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is a form email I send people when they email in with a misfire code without lambda codes:

Misfire codes are very common on the N54 motor and are generally either a defective plug, coil, injector, or if the misfires happen across multiple cylinders could be an o2 sensor or high pressure fuel pump. The higher the power levels the more apparent hardware weakness are so often they will crop up first at only higher power levels. Eventually though, they will come up at OEM power levels too. If your plugs have over 15k miles on them I'd suggest switching them out. If that doesn't do the trick you can switch the coil on the misfiring cylinder over to another cylinder to see if the misfire moves with it. If it does, then replace that coil.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is a form email I send people when they email in with a misfire code without lambda codes:

Misfire codes are very common on the N54 motor and are generally either a defective plug, coil, injector, or if the misfires happen across multiple cylinders could be an o2 sensor or high pressure fuel pump. The higher the power levels the more apparent hardware weakness are so often they will crop up first at only higher power levels. Eventually though, they will come up at OEM power levels too. If your plugs have over 15k miles on them I'd suggest switching them out. If that doesn't do the trick you can switch the coil on the misfiring cylinder over to another cylinder to see if the misfire moves with it. If it does, then replace that coil.

Thanks for the info. I think that ill go ahead an order a coil for testing this weekend.

I was able to run WOT 2,3,4 gear pulls literally 4 days ago, and now nothing.... The misfires have been very "off and on", sometimes requiring WOT to cause, sometimes not happening at all, sometimes 40-60% throttle will cause the stuttering/jerking.

Do you sell coils at BMS? I have CPO, but it would cost me just as much in gas (plus several days time, since my dealership sucks) as it would to order a new coil (assuming yours is priced similar to ECSTunings)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    654 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Normally you'd swap the coil to another cylinder first to see if the misfire moves with it. We have the plugs and special socket in stock, but don't sell coils. getbmwparts.com has em cheap.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You don't have to order a coil to find out if one of your coils is messed up. Just switch out the misfire cyl coil to another spot and see if it happens on that new spot. I believe seeing coils for sale on ecstuning.com
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the info. I think i might order one to have on hand. Ill swap cylidner 5's coil this weekend and see if that affects where the misfire occurs. Ill do some datalogging before/after.