Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    why not the ECS blue plug? I have it waiting for next oil change to install.
    \Seen threads of it shearing, I assume its aluminum. Just don't over-torque it I guess. Looks like its painted too...who paints threads? Can you confirm?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    I rarely ever see mag plugs from the factory, only on commercial applications. Check out GoldPlug. I got the trans, oilpan and diff as the first "mods" for my car. Stay away from the blue painted one from ECS I think it was. If anyone cares for an update, I pulled the plug last night (200km) and it was pretty clean. We'll see how it looks after some snow drifting.
    what sizes/pitch do we need?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    \Seen threads of it shearing, I assume its aluminum. Just don't over-torque it I guess. Looks like its painted too...who paints threads? Can you confirm?
    Isn't the oil pan aluminum? Better to ruin the plug threads. I'll take a closer look.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    You can search by application on the website, goldplug.com
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    As lulz pointed out, just search by car. Verified that all plugs fit on my car two years ago.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Isn't the oil pan aluminum? Better to ruin the plug threads. I'll take a closer look.
    While I agree, if the plug so happens to shear where the majority is already threaded into the pan, then you have to take off the pan to get the destoryed plug out. Again, you will probably be fine if you dont overtorque it, just seat the washer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I ran a search on GoldPlug.com and only came up with one option AP-11 Magnetic Drain Plug: http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Aut...l#.ULY6YuTAen8

Is this plug the only one needed for the oil pan, transmission and diff? Or is this for the oil pan only?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The AP-11 is the plug that is in my oil pan. It is the only plug that is actually "gold" lol. After chosing your model, you can pick either engine, diff or transmission. My diff takes AP-22 and transmission takes AP-05, for my 07 E90 335i.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^What he said. The options for engine, trans, and diff will show up under the "engine" drop down.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    15k km since the first picture. That's 20k km since the wavtrac install, and the mag plug looks like it has accumulated normal wear.

Click here to enlarge

FWIW, I've swapped fluids 300km ago in favor of Redline 75W140NS, and frankly, it's amazing. The "thump" has been reduced to half of what it was, and shifting is about 10X better than it used to be. It's as if the extra lash that comes with the LSD has been absorbed by the extra thickness of oil. Recommend that anyone in a warm climate give it, or a mix, a try.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So, I am going to toss a "monkey wrench" and say that for LSD, you might want to look into thicker oils. OS Giken makes their own and it is 80W-250.. However, that's a completely different LSD in the way it operates.

Looking at how Wavetrac works, it seems there is a lot of grinding going on when its locking, so this amount of shavings could be normal. The question is: when will it completely wear out and stop locking?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wavtrac suggests 75W90, and I'm thinking it's too thin. I'm loving the 75W140; it shifts smooth as butter now. I originally went after my trans fluid, but the diff fluid is what made a huge difference. I'm only 400km in now though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wavtrac suggests 75W90, and I'm thinking it's too thin. I'm loving the 75W140; it shifts smooth as butter now. I originally went after my trans fluid, but the diff fluid is what made a huge difference. I'm only 400km in now though.
    WaveTrac also suggest not to use Redline Oil for some reason, does anybody know why this might be the case?
    Click here to enlarge

I have been doing a bit of researching and notice at least for the BMW crowd that everybody tends to use Redline over the recommend Moutol even HP Autowerks. I plan on moving to 75w-140 based on @Tzu mentioned for the improved slight thump when I shift into gear.

I am changing out my oils this weekend

• Differential: Red Line 57104 75W-140 NS
    • Engine: Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 (Tired Moutol, BMW, Castrol, Revs & vibration feels smoother and burns less oil with Shell).
    • Transmission: Red Line MT90 (Thanks to dzenno for the review)

Gold Plugs I will be installing - Can anybody confirm the Tranny and Diff are the correct, the site does not say and there is no drop down link to choose between them.
    Differential:
    http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Aut...lugs/AP22.html

Transmission:
    http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Aut...lugs/AP05.html

Engine:
    http://www.magneticdrainplug.com/Aut...lugs/AP11.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From Autotech (Wavetrac manufacturers):

------

In conclusion, when using a Wavetrac®:

• Use factory spec oils for your car
    • Use factory-compatible high performance oils if you wish to upgrade the oil (consult Autotech Driveline for recommendations).
    • Do NOT use gear oils with friction modifiers or limited slip additives.
    • Do NOT use Shockproof®1 or similar gear oils designed to reduce friction.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    From Autotech (Wavetrac manufacturers):

------

In conclusion, when using a Wavetrac®:

• Use factory spec oils for your car
    • Use factory-compatible high performance oils if you wish to upgrade the oil (consult Autotech Driveline for recommendations).
    • Do NOT use gear oils with friction modifiers or limited slip additives.
    • Do NOT use Shockproof®1 or similar gear oils designed to reduce friction.
    I wonder if Wavetrac would void your warranty if you have used "compatible" but different brand oil? Recommendation on specific oil brand makes me think that Wavetrac has some type of exlusive agreement with them Motul (and they are distributor for it tooClick here to enlarge).

As for oil discussions I believe most of it is pointless unless you have done some oil analyses and compared different fluids under same conditions. I have tried plenty of oils before and without doing an oil analysis all I could tell that there was no difference at all, except in some cases OEM fluid felt better (manual trans fluid on E46 323ci).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't get their general statement about Red Line not being compatible. Why would they just entirely exclude an entire oil company like that?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't get their general statement about Red Line not being compatible. Why would they just entirely exclude an entire oil company like that?
    Haters going to hate.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Shockproof is a RedLine product meant for true LSDs; given the context I wouldn't be surprised if the comma between 'RedLine' and 'Shockproof' is a typo, and they only meant to exclude that particular line of oils.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The AP-11 is the plug that is in my oil pan. It is the only plug that is actually "gold" lol. After chosing your model, you can pick either engine, diff or transmission. My diff takes AP-22 and transmission takes AP-05, for my 07 E90 335i.
    Thanks. Ordered all of them. Repped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    FWIW, the oil pan should only receive oil that has been through the engine oil filter first, sebsequently, you will not see a lot of buildup on that plug. Diffs and transmissions on the other hand, will. My 3rd flush had next to nothing accumulated on the plug. It was likely break in generated material.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @islandroad83 The quiet operation of the diff with 75-140 was great initially, about 5k km later, it's no better than with 75-90. Suspect that the small housing + heat + less oil capacity degrades the oil quickly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @islandroad83 The quiet operation of the diff with 75-140 was great initially, about 5k km later, it's no better than with 75-90. Suspect that the small housing + heat + less oil capacity degrades the oil quickly.
    Good to know, I still have a bit of a clucnk but its not as bad as it was and really sometimes its all how i shift. I replaced all my fluids the other week, Dif, brake, engine, and tranny along with installing all the Gold plugs. After all the fluid changes I noticed everything was so much smoother. Thanks @dzenno@PTF for recommending the Redline Trans shifts awesome now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by islandroad83 Click here to enlarge
    Good to know, I still have a bit of a clucnk but its not as bad as it was and really sometimes its all how i shift. I replaced all my fluids the other week, Dif, brake, engine, and tranny along with installing all the Gold plugs. After all the fluid changes I noticed everything was so much smoother. Thanks @dzenno@PTF for recommending the Redline Trans shifts awesome now.
    What fluids did you use in your trans and diff? MT trans?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    What fluids did you use in your trans and diff? MT trans?
    Differential: Red Line 57104 75W-140 NS
    Engine: Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 (Tired Moutol, BMW, Castrol, Revs & vibration feels smoother and burns less oil with Shell).
    Transmission: Red Line MT90 (Thanks to dzenno for the review) yes 6MT

I will be sticking with all those oils from now on for my car. The engine oil can get into a debate over and over but after using the car vibrates a lot less, but don't go using that differential oil unless u have a LSD it's not ment for the stock dif.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    New recommendation on the diff oil, Fuchs Titan 75w-140..straight from Wavetrac
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    New recommendation on the diff oil, Fuchs Titan 75w-140..straight from Wavetrac
    Should I just call them for that? Can't find any dealers of that stuff in the US lol, all UK and FR links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast