Close

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,249
    Rep Points
    32,700.6
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328


    Yes Reputation No

    Renderings of the BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe 228i - Competitor for the Audi A3 sedan and Mercedes CLA?

    The Audi A3 sedan is on its way. As is the Mercedes-Benz CLA which will also come in CLA 45 AMG form. Both of these vehicles will feature 2.0 liter direct injected and turbocharged motors with all wheel drive and dual clutch options. This segment is heating up but where is BMW's answer? The current F20 1-Series is not sold in the USA and the platform would likely return to North America as a 2-Series sedan due to BMW's belief (like most German manufacturers) that the American market does not want hatchbacks.

    Click here to enlarge

    The renderings below depict a 2-Series Gran Coupe sedan which would be BMW's answer to the A3 sedan and Mercedes CLA. BMW already announced they are planning a major model expansion which includes a 2-Series. The 2-Series would likely have derivatives such as a gran coupe in order to squeeze as many sales as possible out of the platform. Drivetrain options would likely mirror the F20 1-Series.

    What would really be exciting is an M2 model which BMW is apparently considering with a tweaked N20 4-cylinder with an output of over 340 horses. Things are definitely going to get interesting next year and BimmerBoost will bring you more details on the platform as it develops.

    Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,923
    Rep Points
    1,825.9
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    These 2 series will turn out to be the new 3 series. At least thats how it feels like. Don't see the point of a 4 door smaller than a 3 series, unless your talking Toyota, Nissan...etc..,

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    994
    Rep Points
    938.4
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Apparently there will also be a 2 series Gran Sport Tourer according to Scott26.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Scott26
    2 SERIES GRAN SPORT TOURER

    The next 2er model showcases BMW innovation at its strongest especially for the experimental compact segment. A Touring would be the conventional reaction but BMW are defying the conventional in what to bring to an exciting growth segment , a concept which is appealing to those that desire something innovative and fresh in design but still combining practicality and exclusivity and that all important premium feel.

    BMW are currently looking at the creation of another line - "Gran Tourer" to showcase more desirable and stylish approach to re-inventing the Touring for customers that would prefer more exclusivity than utility and to appeal to markets where the wagon (Touring) is all but dead.The Gran Tourer line is being investigated with a 6er model and potentially a 4er model being more exclusive and stylish Shooting Brakes.

    Given BMW's design director Adrian Van Hooydunk's admiration for the Hyundai Veloster . The 2er Gran Sport Tourer aims to enhance that level of individuality but offer customers the exciting profile of a Coupe and sports tourer, the idea actually comes from BMW's history in the guise of the classic 1600/2002 Touring model or indeed the GT coupe. Sporting looks with reasonable practicality and a full blooded RWD BMW. The Hyundai Veloster evokes an A-symmetrical language something that has been explored at BMW and an interesting feature on the MINI Clubman.

    A-Symmetrical design ideas are very much in the plan for BMW and the Gran Sport Tourer takes A-symmetry to a new level of creativity for BMW.

    The idea of a Sports Tourer with a split personality - A Jekyll and hyde concept is the idea of having a sportier coupe on the drivers side enhanced by a single large door opening into the passenger compartment. Whilst on the passenger side a conventional door with a recessed rear hinged door opening into the passenger cell.

    The car will still be recognisable as a 2er but the more flat raked rear echoes the1600/2002 Touring which allows BMW to showcase a more historical but with added contemporary style link from the 2er to the 2002.

    The BMW 2er will be BMW's response to the Mercedes-Benz CLA and Audi A3 Sedan. And it is all about offering new customers and BMW customers that want a more practical sporting sedan the most exciting and dynamic sporting option in this highly competitive segment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ​#Chuckstrong

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    9400' ASL, Colorado
    Posts
    886
    Rep Points
    1,301.6
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    14


    Yes Reputation No
    I really, REALLY don't get this $#@!ing Gran Coupe bull$#@!. The new M3 coupe will be an M4 because the even number cars are the designation for coupes. But you can get a 4-door version of the 2- 4- and 6-series cars. Seriously, either stick to the numbering methodology or don't.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,249
    Rep Points
    32,700.6
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by whoosh Click here to enlarge
    I really, REALLY don't get this $#@!ing Gran Coupe bull$#@!. The new M3 coupe will be an M4 because the even number cars are the designation for coupes. But you can get a 4-door version of the 2- 4- and 6-series cars. Seriously, either stick to the numbering methodology or don't.
    It's because the 4-door versions of the odd numbers are "coupes" supposedly. I agree it's retarded.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    388
    Rep Points
    104.9
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Not sure why everyone is getting bent over the numbering. It has nice lines. Hopefully they don't F it up like they did with the 1 series.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    298
    Rep Points
    272.3
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    If it would look like this, everybody would buy it instead of the 3-series. Rest assured, it will be much more ugly.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Points
    917.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    The proportions look out of whack. Especially the side windows area which is too small. Looks like the roof has been chopped.

    Oh well, still looks better than the F30 3-series Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    79
    Rep Points
    49.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KB Click here to enlarge
    Apparently there will also be a 2 series Gran Sport Tourer according to Scott26.
    scott... BMW marketing expanding to the forums per excellance. I wouldn't care less what he(or more probably they) write.
    Thats just marketing placement. Trying to push the BMW philosophy with apparently good arguments/assays (that have been studied hours before in meetings) in the peoples head through new media (=forums) where people don't recognize it as such and are open minded or at least expect other people with (different) opinions and not marketing-gurus.
    You will never know if what he writes has really a information purpose or maybe just a statistics purpose (to see how people react to different BMW ideas) or simply both.
    Apparently spreading his insider knowledge before it gets public and newer getting fired for that (like a normal employee would when spreading secrets to the public constantly).

    For myself i think the 2 series will be more appealing to me than the new 3-4 series. They have grown too much. Maybe a 235i would be a fine car for me(as gran coupe.. who knows). Should almost be the size of an e46 3 series and thats enough.
    Just please dont mess up the optics like the new 1 series....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,249
    Rep Points
    32,700.6
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cisi Click here to enlarge
    scott... BMW marketing expanding to the forums per excellance. I wouldn't care less what he(or more probably they) write.
    Thats just marketing placement. Trying to push the BMW philosophy with apparently good arguments/assays (that have been studied hours before in meetings) in the peoples head through new media (=forums) where people don't recognize it as such and are open minded or at least expect other people with (different) opinions and not marketing-gurus.
    You will never know if what he writes has really a information purpose or maybe just a statistics purpose (to see how people react to different BMW ideas) or simply both.
    Apparently spreading his insider knowledge before it gets public and newer getting fired for that (like a normal employee would when spreading secrets to the public constantly).

    For myself i think the 2 series will be more appealing to me than the new 3-4 series. They have grown too much. Maybe a 235i would be a fine car for me(as gran coupe.. who knows). Should almost be the size of an e46 3 series and thats enough.
    Just please dont mess up the optics like the new 1 series....
    Nice post with some good points.

    How do people even know Scott actually has any kind of BMW inside information? How do we know he isn't just planted? Or just fishing for ideas?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    390
    Rep Points
    514.9
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Nice post with some good points.

    How do people even know Scott actually has any kind of BMW inside information? How do we know he isn't just planted? Or just fishing for ideas?
    His predictions of future models and this new naming strategy (1 series coupe becoming 2 series, etc.) have mostly come true. He is planted by BMW, that's the point, he's basically a way for BMW's marketing department to leak info out to enthusiasts to gauge reactions and to soften the blow when the information finally becomes official because we've been used to hearing about it. He also has leaked sketches of the design of the F30 and F20 on Bimmerpost that have turned out to be accurate and now he leaked another drawing of the F32's headlights and front end.

    I have a friend who works in graphic design and he got to work with Scion on some of the marketing for the FR-S and saw the final car waaay before it came out (he sent me a pic and we talked about some details which made me really excited about it but that's another story) but he said the Scion guys estimated that 90% of "leaked" photos or information on the web actually comes straight out of the car manufacturers. They'll literally have someone snap photos of their test cars, make sure the photos reveal a tiny bit but not too much and then "leak" them to the internet. Of course there are actual spy photographers, too, but manufacturers are becoming quite good at this sort of viral marketing.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    120,249
    Rep Points
    32,700.6
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    328



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Remonster Click here to enlarge
    His predictions of future models and this new naming strategy (1 series coupe becoming 2 series, etc.) have mostly come true. He is planted by BMW, that's the point, he's basically a way for BMW's marketing department to leak info out to enthusiasts to gauge reactions and to soften the blow when the information finally becomes official because we've been used to hearing about it. He also has leaked sketches of the design of the F30 and F20 on Bimmerpost that have turned out to be accurate and now he leaked another drawing of the F32's headlights and front end.

    I have a friend who works in graphic design and he got to work with Scion on some of the marketing for the FR-S and saw the final car waaay before it came out (he sent me a pic and we talked about some details which made me really excited about it but that's another story) but he said the Scion guys estimated that 90% of "leaked" photos or information on the web actually comes straight out of the car manufacturers. They'll literally have someone snap photos of their test cars, make sure the photos reveal a tiny bit but not too much and then "leak" them to the internet. Of course there are actual spy photographers, too, but manufacturers are becoming quite good at this sort of viral marketing.
    Well Scott is aware of BimmerBoost so I assume that is good thing. He made a thread on bimmerpost with our X3M renderings and commented on it.

    His predictions tend to be hit or miss though.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HG Motorsports
    Posts
    390
    Rep Points
    514.9
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well Scott is aware of BimmerBoost so I assume that is good thing. He made a thread on bimmerpost with our X3M renderings and commented on it.

    His predictions tend to be hit or miss though.
    I didn't mean to say that he's 100% accurate, but I just think people have grown to trust him because he knows some stuff the average person shouldn't.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •