Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Turbo N54, GT42- GT47

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Single Turbo N54, GT42- GT47

Is there a single turbo, GT42 or GT47'ed N54?

How strong is the N54 block?

Is there any sleeved N54 yet? Sleeved in order to make the block more rigid.
    E36 M3 Euro TT 60-130 mph 4.49 s
    E46 M3 3.6L TT 60-130 mph 4.22 s
    All Wheel drive M3 Twin Turbo
    997 TT

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Vishnu is the only commercial ST, AR Designs made a single turbo setup, but didn't release detail + tuning info.
    Nobody has blown up their engine, so unknown, some internals are forged some are not.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

how strong is the block?

How thick are the walls?
    E36 M3 Euro TT 60-130 mph 4.49 s
    E46 M3 3.6L TT 60-130 mph 4.22 s
    All Wheel drive M3 Twin Turbo
    997 TT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody has blown up their engine
    As far as everybody knows.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    how strong is the block?

How thick are the walls?
    The strength of the block is still unknown. It's a relatively new engine. What we do know are the rods are very beefy - comparable to the mitsu 4g63 motor, which held a lot of power for a 4-banger. Specs of the engine (specifically the wall thickness you want to know) are probably public at this point as people have removed the head for work. Ask some of those guys like @dzenno and @enrita.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

HPF is going to release a single-turbo kit. After seeing their work on the S54, they'll probably be the vendor to buy a single from once it's released. The Vishnu/FFTEC kit has been released, but Shiv's car seems to be the only one running "problem free"
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

It's all about the software (and perhaps a bit of fuel system trickery that will be common knowledge soon enough). Lots of people know how to do the plumbing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Also mert, remember the N54 is an open deck. Unlike your S54 which is closed or semi-closed.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1472 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    Also mert, remember the N54 is an open deck. Unlike your S54 which is closed or semi-closed.
    He should have already known this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

strong and thick enough lol

i have some pictures if you guys want me to post of taking apart the block. not the best of pictures but it might give you an idea
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Carl Morris Click here to enlarge
    It's all about the software (and perhaps a bit of fuel system trickery that will be common knowledge soon enough). Lots of people know how to do the plumbing.
    I'm ready to go on the tuning end. But need a plumber to step up to the plate with a good manifold design...
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I'm ready to go on the tuning end. But need a plumber to step up to the plate with a good manifold design...
    Good to know, I didn't know if you were going to get in on the single turbo thing or not. I've been hoping Cobb would work on it at some point, but I don't mind stacking eventually.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Nice

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Nobody has blown up their engine
    I think there has been a few blown motors on the Vishnu ST team. They are far too quiet IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Im surprised we are actually discussing this with Mert? lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    HPF is going to release a single-turbo kit. After seeing their work on the S54, they'll probably be the vendor to buy a single from once it's released. The Vishnu/FFTEC kit has been released, but Shiv's car seems to be the only one running "problem free"
    Pretty much all the 6AT are running into transmission problems. No blown motors as far as I know. Mine runs fine.
    pt6466 FFTEC 355i
    gtx3076r FFTEC Evo IX
    Beat up 240sx

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1472 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Im surprised we are actually discussing this with Mert? lol
    An even better point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CaptainInsano Click here to enlarge
    Pretty much all the 6AT are running into transmission problems. No blown motors as far as I know. Mine runs fine.
    The only consistent AT issue I've come across is the middle of 5th gear "trans unloading sending RPMs through the roof" issue. Are they having that issue or another one? Because if you're going less than ~140mph it's not really a factor. Click here to enlarge

What I don't get is why you guys are not hitting up Sacramento raceway every weekend for runs. My local (4hr round trip drive) track won't open until March. If I had an awesome track like Sac an hour or two away I'd be all over it. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Is there a single turbo, GT42 or GT47'ed N54?

How strong is the N54 block?

Is there any sleeved N54 yet? Sleeved in order to make the block more rigid.
    Looking at you signature, I'm guessing I don't have to explain how effing "big" a GT42 or 47 is. As far as supporting mods go, the N54 isn't ready for that level of power production. Once we get the fueling for that much flow, we may see what the blocks can handle. Right now though, nobody is running a turbo with that much flow. No harm in prepping the block for when those supporting mods are available, but I haven't read of anyone doing the block up that hard core yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

The only consistent AT issue I've come across is the middle of 5th gear "trans unloading sending RPMs through the roof" issue. Are they having that issue or another one? Because if you're going less than ~140mph it's not really a factor. Click here to enlarge

What I don't get is why you guys are not hitting up Sacramento raceway every weekend for runs. My local (4hr round trip drive) track won't open until March. If I had an awesome track like Sac an hour or two away I'd be all over it. Click here to enlarge
    Hehe yup, there's been a lot of pressure for me to go. I've only been drag racing once (Shift S3ctor), but I do plan on hitting up Sacramento raceway when I get my car back from the body shop. It's a 4 hour round trip drive for me too, Laguna Seca and Infineon are both closer. Won't I get kicked off at Sacramento if I break 135mph without a roll cage?

You guys seem to get a big kick out of drag racing. It's so boring man :p

I can't comment on the 6AT problems, it seems they were letting go in certain gears. I did race against a 6AT Single Turbo and he didn't seem to have any problems, so maybe it was intermittent.
    pt6466 FFTEC 355i
    gtx3076r FFTEC Evo IX
    Beat up 240sx

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)

Hehe yup, there's been a lot of pressure for me to go. I've only been drag racing once (Shift S3ctor), but I do plan on hitting up Sacramento raceway when I get my car back from the body shop. It's a 4 hour round trip drive for me too, Laguna Seca and Infineon are both closer. Won't I get kicked off at Sacramento if I break 135mph without a roll cage?

I can't comment on the 6AT problems, it seems they were letting go in certain gears. I did race against a 6AT Single Turbo and he didn't seem to have any problems, so maybe it was intermittent.
    In theory they will boot you at 11.49. Normally they don't look at MPH much. Depending on the tires and how much boost you run you are probably looking at around 130mph traps. And low 11s with some traction and practice.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

In theory they will boot you at 11.49. Normally they don't look at MPH much. Depending on the tires and how much boost you run you are probably looking at around 130mph traps. And low 11s with some traction and practice.
    Why 11.49? Extremely short runoff?
    Here it's 9.99 (i think?) as long as it's a modern 4 wheel disc car 10.99 for other cars

9.99 needs.. A cage? I belive 8.99 needs a chute

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Some of the transmission issues will go away once a proper single turbo flash is done, so the TCM sees correct torque input values. I discussed this with a piggyback MFG, who told me they were having zero issues with ATs..... I found that questionable at best LOL.

Any hard evidence of single turbos having AT issues? I haven't really been keeping up.
    Click here to enlarge
    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    Why 11.49? Extremely short runoff?
    Here it's 9.99 (i think?) as long as it's a modern 4 wheel disc car 10.99 for other cars

9.99 needs.. A cage? I belive 8.99 needs a chute
    NHRA rules state quicker than 11.49 requires a roll cage.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I dont think you'll be hitting 135 mph traps for quite some time...
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast