Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rwalker Click here to enlarge
    It's interesting to me that both turbos blew at the same time. Were you blowing smoke on one side for a while before the other side let go from trying to compensate?
    if his exhaust is not split (which it looks stock to me) you will get smoke out both tailpipes....Coupes have an X pipe and Sedans have a tumor looking resonator where the exhaust merges...so it could mean one turbo or both are bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    if his exhaust is not split (which it looks stock to me) you will get smoke out both tailpipes....Coupes have an X pipe and Sedans have a tumor looking resonator where the exhaust merges...so it could mean one turbo or both are bad.
    my exhaust is custom fully catless and I have an xpipe. might only be one turbo blown. haven't ripped the car apart yet
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

What are your mods? Def a lot of boost!! What map?
    ///M5 LCI
    "It's like the F10 is the 911 Turbo to the E60's GT3" -Pistonheads (M5 feature)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    What are your mods? Def a lot of boost!! What map?
    fully catless custom exhaust. ER fmic. dci. dps. nitto invos. G5. map 6 and 7

best run was 11.8 @ 116.6 on G4
    couldnt beat that run as I was drifting all over the track and had to coast thru every run :/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sucks man, never a good thing to see all that smoke. I totally agree with everyone here. If you need turbos right away, go RB they have a great track record and you know exactly what you are getting, which is a great product. Single would be nice but after the Shift Sector turn out it seems a bit up in the air if they have it dialed in fully. I'll take this op to do a quick update on our stuff as well, our stage 1's compressor wheels are shipped and in the mail, so we will be putting a set on our test car as soon as they get here, new flapper samples I am told are shipping Friday to make sure the specs are correct then 2 weeks to get the production parts to me, vendor gave me a date of Dec 15th for most of the remainder of the stage 2 parts I am waiting on to ship. Stage 3 is tacked and was installed in our test car last night to check clearances, everything fit great and they are now back at the fabricators to get the manifolds fully welded then move on to DP's, piping etc. We should have a car running a prototype stage 3 set up by the middle - end of Dec. The good thing about tuning stage 3 is we will be keeping all 4 O2's in the correct locations and using the stock vacuum actuated wastegates so any tuning platform with some tweaking should be able to take advantage of them. I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I will making a full update with pictures prob around the end of the week.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 11-27-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Sucks man, never a good thing to see all that smoke. I totally agree with everyone here. If you need turbos right away, go RB they have a great track record and you know exactly what you are getting, which is a great product. Single would be nice but after the Shift Sector turn out it seems a bit up in the air if they have it dialed in fully. I'll take this op to do a quick update on our stuff as well, our stage 1's comrpessor wheels are shipped and in the mail, so we will be putting a set on our test car as soon as they get here, new flapper samples I am told are shipping friday to make sure the specs are correct then 2 weeks to get the production parts to me, vendor gave me a date of Dec 15th for most of the remainder of the stage 2 parts I am waiting on to ship. Stage 3 is tacked and was installed in our test car last night to check clearances, everything fit great and they are now back at the fabricators to get the manifolds fully welded then move on to DP's, piping etc. We should have a car running a prototype stage 3 set up by the middle - end of Dec. The good thing about tuning stage 3 is we will be keeping all 4 O2's in the correct locations and using the stock vacuum actuated wastegates so any tuning platform with some tweaking should be able to take advantage of them. I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I will making a full update with pictures prob around the end of the week.
    thanks for the update Click here to enlarge

its going to be interesting and close as I won't have cash In hand to order turbos until right around new years. If stage 2s are ready it might come down to a classic rock paper scissors shoot out. Unless you or rob or sticky want to sponsor me ? lol trust me I'd make you guys proud, I live at the track and was doing well enough for a recent mass switch to G5 in my parts Click here to enlarge

i know that will never happen, but seriously it's all gonna come down to timing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Sucks man, never a good thing to see all that smoke. I totally agree with everyone here. If you need turbos right away, go RB they have a great track record and you know exactly what you are getting, which is a great product. Single would be nice but after the Shift Sector turn out it seems a bit up in the air if they have it dialed in fully. I'll take this op to do a quick update on our stuff as well, our stage 1's comrpessor wheels are shipped and in the mail, so we will be putting a set on our test car as soon as they get here, new flapper samples I am told are shipping friday to make sure the specs are correct then 2 weeks to get the production parts to me, vendor gave me a date of Dec 15th for most of the remainder of the stage 2 parts I am waiting on to ship. Stage 3 is tacked and was installed in our test car last night to check clearances, everything fit great and they are now back at the fabricators to get the manifolds fully welded then move on to DP's, piping etc. We should have a car running a prototype stage 3 set up by the middle - end of Dec. The good thing about tuning stage 3 is we will be keeping all 4 O2's in the correct locations and using the stock vacuum actuated wastegates so any tuning platform with some tweaking should be able to take advantage of them. I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I will making a full update with pictures prob around the end of the week.
    now..

..that is a great update Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Definitely a good update, excited to see how the Stage 3 all comes together with the compressor inlets and downpipes- that is where the project pretty much died for me as I couldn’t see a good way to do it cleanly (regardless of turbo placement or orientation). With that I was left thinking the ST is thy best way to go considering the real estate limitations with all of the necessary plumbing in place.

OP, ah yes, remember the call. You were turning some amazing times with minimal mods. Strong car, strong driver, strong launches on Street tires.

IMO if the product and installation cost is not a factor, all continues to go smoothly with the VTT Stage 3 development, you are willing to weather the AT limitations we are starting to face at high power, all combined with your hunger for the dragstrip… the choice would be clearly the VTT Stage 3. Personally I’d suggest going through some headwork modifications as well with either of the bigger turbo options. I have always felt the N54 head was designed from the ground up for small turbine housings (super high velocity, low airflow, quick spool, good 1k rpm torque/big block feel).

Stage 2 type turbos are still tiny, not designed to take down the world- but do seem to work very well for a quick slam bolt-on turbo without breaking the bank or opening a Pandora’s box. That is their only intent- bang for the buck. Outside of them, you are going to have to pay to play and blaze a trail.

Tony, thanks for the product props. Appreciate it. One post for the day.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Loving the mutual respect from vendors. It's a christmas miracle...Now someone go get shiv so he can give Terry a big hug.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Sucks man, never a good thing to see all that smoke. I totally agree with everyone here. If you need turbos right away, go RB they have a great track record and you know exactly what you are getting, which is a great product. Single would be nice but after the Shift Sector turn out it seems a bit up in the air if they have it dialed in fully. I'll take this op to do a quick update on g our stuff as well, our stage 1's comrpessor wheels are shipped and in the mail, so we will be putting a set on our test car as soon as they get here, new flapper samples I am told are shipping friday to make sure the specs are correct then 2 weeks to get the production parts to me, vendor gave me a date of Dec 15th for most of the remainder of the stage 2 parts I am waiting on to ship. Stage 3 is tacked and was installed in our test car last night to check clearances, everything fit great and they are now back at the fabricators to get the manifolds fully welded then move on to DP's, piping etc. We should have a car running a prototype stage 3 set up by the middle - end of Dec. The good thing about tuning stage 3 is we will be keeping all 4 O2's in the correct locations and using the stock vacuum actuated wastegates so any tuning platform with some tweaking should be able to take advantage of them. I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I will making a full update with pictures prob around the end of the week.
    Looking forward to the stage 3 turbo upgrades. I am very excited

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

@Ak335i There is of course a 4th option: Custom twin scroll turbo setup with the doc-race mani :? Breaking new ground baller status $$$$$$.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    now..

..that is a great update Click here to enlarge
    +1 If I could rep I would Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Definitely a good update, excited to see how the Stage 3 all comes together with the compressor inlets and downpipes- that is where the project pretty much died for me as I couldn’t see a good way to do it cleanly (regardless of turbo placement or orientation). With that I was left thinking the ST is thy best way to go considering the real estate limitations with all of the necessary plumbing in place.

OP, ah yes, remember the call. You were turning some amazing times with minimal mods. Strong car, strong driver, strong launches on Street tires.

IMO if the product and installation cost is not a factor, all continues to go smoothly with the VTT Stage 3 development, you are willing to weather the AT limitations we are starting to face at high power, all combined with your hunger for the dragstrip… the choice would be clearly the VTT Stage 3. Personally I’d suggest going through some headwork modifications as well with either of the bigger turbo options. I have always felt the N54 head was designed from the ground up for small turbine housings (super high velocity, low airflow, quick spool, good 1k rpm torque/big block feel).

Stage 2 type turbos are still tiny, not designed to take down the world- but do seem to work very well for a quick slam bolt-on turbo without breaking the bank or opening a Pandora’s box. That is their only intent- bang for the buck. Outside of them, you are going to have to pay to play and blaze a trail.

Tony, thanks for the product props. Appreciate it. One post for the day.

Rob
    Thanks for the kind words Rob, things are coming along nicely for Stage 3, were excited to test them. So you had manifolds made and mounted Garrett GT style turbos in a 335 and then scraped it cause you couldn't fit piping and intakes? I don't know if our manifolds are way different etc. But there is more room than we anticipated, we don't forsee any problems getting everything in there after the test fitting last night. Obviously we are modifying certain areas, but for all intents and purposes these things fit as well as the stockers do thus far.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

geez people are getting along but I get neg repped? lol Ill take it for the team and the greater good. Click here to enlarge
    Thanks again everyone for all the solid info and ideas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanks for the kind words Rob, things are coming along nicely for Stage 3, were excited to test them. So you had manifolds made and mounted Garrett GT style turbos in a 335 and then scraped it cause you couldn't fit piping and intakes? I don't know if our manifolds are way different etc. But there is more room than we anticipated, we don't forsee any problems getting everything in there after the test fitting last night. Obviously we are modifying certain areas, but for all intents and purposes these things fit as well as the stockers do thus far.
    pics?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rwalker Click here to enlarge
    pics?
    I posted above I will be making an update at the end of the week with pictures. I almost made one last night but decided against it, on these forums I want to have everything just so to minimize the inevitable back and forth that will ensue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I posted above I will be making an update at the end of the week with pictures. I almost made one last night but decided against it, on these forums I want to have everything just so to minimize the inevitable back and forth that will ensue.
    Do not blame you one bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    @Ak335i There is of course a 4th option: Custom twin scroll turbo setup with the doc-race mani :? Breaking new ground baller status $$$$$$.
    tell me more...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    tell me more...
    There is nothing to be told, they don't sell the manifold to the public its for HPF's single kit. So the 4th option is buying HPF's kit when it comes out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

There is nothing to be told, they don't sell the manifold to the public its for HPF's single kit. So the 4th option is buying HPF's kit when it comes out.
    cool. I was hopin maybe I missed something while I was away at work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    cool. I was hopin maybe I missed something while I was away at work.
    Could call up ETS or most other fabricators and ask them to assemble one. Being the guinnea pig would be a bit more difficuly though. ETS has stated that they have (or will make) a turbo kit once all of the tuning gets sorted out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

@VargasTurboTech : Did you try to buy one of Doc Race's manis? Click here to enlarge I didn't know they wouldn't sell you one if you had the cash.

@Ak335i : Basically make your own Vishnu ST kit. Twin Scroll for faster boost and use Cobb + Piggyback for tuning. Ballin'. You know you want to. #legendarystatus
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Are you sure thats the result of failed turbos?
    I had a similar result with smoke coming out of my exhaust after my car died while at high rpm...
    After a trip to the dealer and some new injectors the car was fine.
    2009.5 AW E90 335i ZMP - SOLD
    2013 E92 M3 6MT ZCP - Space Grey/Fox Red Click here to enlarge

Want to Buy: 1977-89 Porsche 911 Turbo Coupe (930)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CookieCrisp Click here to enlarge
    Are you sure thats the result of failed turbos?
    I had a similar result with smoke coming out of my exhaust after my car died while at high rpm...
    After a trip to the dealer and some new injectors the car was fine.
    i have no internal codes. and all that oil in the exhaust. doesnt add up to injector on mine ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge

@Ak335i : Basically make your own Vishnu ST kit. Twin Scroll for faster boost and use Cobb + Piggyback for tuning. Ballin'. You know you want to. #legendarystatus
    i like your style. I wish there was a place down here willing to go outside of the box lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast