Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Listen to the whine of a twinscrew supercharger...

From Texas World Speedway...a Kenny Bell twinscrew unit with some questionable tuning. Runs pretty good so far! Now if only I could keep my oil pump sprocket on but that's a different discussion for a different day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I enjoyed it. Really cool sound!
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Love twin screw's, just love them.

What size blower is this?

This something you did yourself?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, XX compressor has been replaced with a Kenny Bell. I refuse to give credit to XX because they don't deserve it. You can PM me if you want more info. After my car gets back on the road in a week, I will officially dis-own some companies. Found some that will listen to me and not take short cuts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigjae1976 Click here to enlarge
    No, XX compressor has been replaced with a Kenny Bell. I refuse to give credit to XX because they don't deserve it. You can PM me if you want more info. After my car gets back on the road in a week, I will officially dis-own some companies. Found some that will listen to me and not take short cuts.
    There is only 1 positive displacement option I can think of? Maybe two?

I would like to know what happened though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The KB is a better blower anyway though right? What size it?

Who tuned it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's a 1.7l. Who tuned it? Active. What's my issue? All they did was adjust fuel maps based on my installers observations on an AFR gauge. So shame on my installer. Also, shame on AA for not requiring some extra data. I would figure that AA would need data logs of timing adjustments. Then when my engine went lean again, AA admitted (allegedly) to my installer that the system is not meant for heavy track use. WTF? So where else am I going to drive a 400hp car? I think they've been watching too much fast and furious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's a 1.7l. Who tuned it? Active. What's my issue? All they did was adjust fuel maps based on my installers observations on an AFR gauge. So shame on my installer. Also, shame on AA for not requiring some extra data. I would figure that AA would need data logs of timing adjustments. Then when my engine went lean again, AA admitted (allegedly) to my installer that the system is not meant for heavy track use. WTF? So where else am I going to drive a 400hp car? I think they've been watching too much fast and furious.
    So who re-tuned it then?

Who was the installer?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow, car sounds so good!! I love the whine of twins crews!!

:EDIT: just kidding...I just remembered that AA used to make a TS kit for the 330ci! Click here to enlarge
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So who re-tuned it then?

Who was the installer?
    Not going to say yet since they still have my car for the last time. You can figure it out if you look on E46F. You know the tuner, probably don't know the installer.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by flipm3 Click here to enlarge
    Wow, car sounds so good!! I love the whine of twins crews!!

:EDIT: just kidding...I just remembered that AA used to make a TS kit for the 330ci! Click here to enlarge
    Thanks. I remember that too. I am responsible for the death of AA's first pre-production TS kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man, well hopefully everything gets sorted out before you get your car back!

At any rate, I love your track videos. I'm going to subscribe to your channel right now! Click here to enlarge
    2002 E46 M3 6MT | Jet Black . Black Nappa | My GermanBoost Build Thread
    2009 E90 M3 DCT | Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not going to say yet since they still have my car for the last time. You can figure it out if you look on E46F. You know the tuner, probably don't know the installer.
    If you are just going to trash them after they are done...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nope, I'll tell the story. Everyone can make their own judgement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nope, I'll tell the story. Everyone can make their own judgement.
    I suggest you don't.

I've had plenty of problems with vendors...and have never felt a sense of closure with revealing details publicly.

If your reasoning is to prevent others from having a bad experience: It will still happen.

I've given very detailed advice to some people, and they thanked me, then did their own thing which was pretty much exactly what I suggested not to do. Then they disappeared...but I have sources that told me they had huge problems.

People don't often benefit from disaster stories.

Send your experience to me in private if you want to get it off your chest, but I don't agree with posting it here.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For what it's worth....there's a reason why Porsches are so popular for tracking. You can run them at 10/10s stock...and they take the beating. The GT3RS for example is awesome for this.

BMWs....well even the "track package" cars need help.
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    For what it's worth....there's a reason why Porsches are so popular for tracking. You can run them at 10/10s stock...and they take the beating. The GT3RS for example is awesome for this.

There is truth to this. The GT3RS is more track worthy out of the box than any stock BMW. Only thing that approaches it would be the GTS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I suggest you don't.

I've had plenty of problems with vendors...and have never felt a sense of closure with revealing details publicly.

If your reasoning is to prevent others from having a bad experience: It will still happen.

I've given very detailed advice to some people, and they thanked me, then did their own thing which was pretty much exactly what I suggested not to do. Then they disappeared...but I have sources that told me they had huge problems.

People don't often benefit from disaster stories.

Send your experience to me in private if you want to get it off your chest, but I don't agree with posting it here.
    Never meant to post the gory details here since my issue is mostly with a local performance shop. I only have a minor issue with AA and that mostly has to do with things outside of this tune. I will admit, Zak at AA has been pretty cool about getting the tune right and he does work some late nights. I do question how you can redo fuel maps based solely on visual AFR readings and someone's best guess. Can I pin that on AA? No although I would think that AA would want to have some sort of protocol and data requirements to adjust tunes remotely.

As for my performance shop, I will tell my disaster story. Because they are selling something they are not capable of doing nor do they have the knowledge base. Without going into detail, everything that has gone wrong I have asked a question about. The only example I'll give is the VAC oil pump upgrade. I told the installer I've seen failures but the shop said they have never failed. Who was right? Me! I've been right and my shop has been wrong on 5 other specific things that have gone wrong with costly consequences (most of the cost to the shop).

I have been VERY patient but now is the time for results.

/rant. Sore subject and will not discuss further on this forum because its more of a local issue.

I know, I know. I am leaning towards a Miata. The problem is I will be moving quite a bit over the next 2 years so I don't want to saddle myself with a track car, trailer, and truck on top of my wife's car, M3, and the 330. And at this point, I still can't get over the fact that its still a Miata and don't want to get my picture taken driving it.

But I really like my 330 as a track car. Its something different. Then the handling is pretty damned good and its a ton of fun to get sideways. The DE org I run with has the fastest advanced group that I've seen in TX. Most of the mid-pack guys would be winning NASA TTs. My car is runs in the top 3rd of the advanced group. Not to mention that I'm the ONLY car towards the front still on street tires.