Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Update

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Complete misunderstanding coupled with my having a crappy morning. I was actually watching a movie with GF on a Sunday night when I got your email. I tried to respond with one hand without getting caught, hence the bad grammar. Needless to say I didn't pull it off and it fired off an decent argument about me never taking any time off. Prob also why I was a little annoyed at the post. No harm no foul. Ill keep you guys posted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Complete misunderstanding coupled with my having a crappy morning. I was actually watching a movie with GF on a Sunday night when I got your email. I tried to respond with one hand without getting caught, hence the bad grammar. Needless to say I didn't pull it off and it fired off an decent argument about me never taking any time off. Prob also why I was a little annoyed at the post. No harm no foul. Ill keep you guys posted.
    Ouch Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    damn, well i started all typed of trouble... gonna go hide under a rock for a bit... HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone lol
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    damn, well i started all typed of trouble... gonna go hide under a rock for a bit... HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone lol
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Since I love speculating about stuff, if the vargas "2.5" update uses basically the stage 2 turbos, but with some manifolds that flow (unlike the stockers) would that free up enough flow in the high end to make it worthwhile shifting a 6MT car at 7000rpm? Right now I shift at 6000rpm because the power just dies over 6000rpm. I'm guessing its not the compressor side that runs out of flow @ 16-18psi with the RB/Stage 2 sized turbos, it's the exhaust side thats the bottleneck, am I right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DallasBoosted Click here to enlarge
    Since I love speculating about stuff, if the vargas "2.5" update uses basically the stage 2 turbos, but with some manifolds that flow (unlike the stockers) would that free up enough flow in the high end to make it worthwhile shifting a 6MT car at 7000rpm? Right now I shift at 6000rpm because the power just dies over 6000rpm. I'm guessing its not the compressor side that runs out of flow @ 16-18psi with the RB/Stage 2 sized turbos, it's the exhaust side thats the bottleneck, am I right?
    As I stated on the other site before I removed my post. I will not be releasing any details about the prototypes, as they are just that at the moment. I will say they are going on a car in the next 2 weeks and we will see how we did. Also, you are right about the exhaust bottleneck being the issue with stock - stage 2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    As I stated on the other site before I removed my post. I will not be releasing any details about the prototypes, as they are just that at the moment. I will say they are going on a car in the next 2 weeks and we will see how we did. Also, you are right about the exhaust bottleneck being the issue with stock - stage 2.
    Thank you sir. Looking forward to sampling your wares. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is this 2.5 talk? Is there such a thing? I'm trying to keep up with the BMW business while I'm on this Evo escapade but it's very difficult. Lol
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You shift at 6000? A bit of hyperbole or are you really, seriously shifting THAT early? You don't want to shift at peak power, btw.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    You shift at 6000? A bit of hyperbole or are you really, seriously shifting THAT early? You don't want to shift at peak power, btw.
    Most people shift at 6200. Those turbos cannot breathe up top. Look at dynos. Torque is long gone by then and HP has already peaked by 6200 also.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Most people shift at 6200. Those turbos cannot breathe up top. Look at dynos. Torque is long gone by then and HP has already peaked by 6200 also.
    +1 the car is gone after 6500 IMO
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Really seriously shifting that early.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You shift much later?

I shift around 6300rpm for best speed. Peak power is like 5300-5500rpm anyway...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is this 2.5 talk? Is there such a thing? I'm trying to keep up with the BMW business while I'm on this Evo escapade but it's very difficult. Lol
    +1 on what is stage 2.5?

@VargasTurboTech is it possible to take the stock turbos, cut the turbo part off (leave the cast runners), weld/v-band another snail to it, and then fit the stock DP flange to it? That sounds like a total franken-pain, but it could be pretty easily replicated once you got the jigs made. May not be the strongest considering the temps that side sees... Would be a poor mans stage 3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is no such thing, I let slip on the other site I was playing around with prototypes and people got to talking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Compressor is nowhere close to being a bottle-neck as you speculated. In terms of the turbos themselves, the exhaust side is indeed the bottleneck.

One of the guys I know pulled his td04 hybrid turbos to see if there's any room to modify the exhaust side and when there were no other options he decided to "modify" the manifold portion since there was nothing really on the exhaust side. He kind of just did it for fun so he never went all out and just did some minor fabbing and in the end he picked up gains. I believe he said the peak gains weren't huge (single digits), but the dropoff in power post-peak was dramatically decreased and the power was held nearly flat till redline, this was a while back so I'll have to double check my PM's.

He is going to be pulling the turbos once the temps outside get better and he will be doing the job properly this time to see the results. If there is indeed a stage 2.5 in the works, it will definitely have positive results.
    jb4+fbo+meth

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    You shift much later?

I shift around 6300rpm for best speed. Peak power is like 5300-5500rpm anyway...
    between 6300 and 6500 depending on the gear I'm in.

Peak power is at around 5800rpms.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is no such thing, I let slip on the other site I was playing around with prototypes and people got to talking.
    Sorry for bringing it up tony!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry for bringing it up tony!
    No worries, just nipping it in the bud before we get a full out thread about it, and people are asking me for HP numbers and how come I haven't shipped them yet...Click here to enlarge But honestly there is nothing to be talked about. Just testing things out over here, continually trying to bring new stuff to the platform.
    Last edited by Tony@VargasTurboTech; 01-10-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry to hear about you working to much, but I mean, one happy women or thousands of happy guys.

bro's before.... haha jk jk

Have a great one tony!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any new updates and pictures you want to show us of Stage 2 and 3? Click here to enlarge
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Any new updates and pictures you want to show us of Stage 2 and 3? Click here to enlarge
    Stage 3 is back at fabricators for final welding and some brackets small stuff etc. But its all fit fabbing is done. Pictures will come when everything is finished. Stage 2 ALL parts are here except flappers and final machining on some of the turbine housings. I will post up some pics this weekend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Stage 3 is back at fabricators for final welding and some brackets small stuff etc. But its all fit fabbing is done. Pictures will come when everything is finished. Stage 2 ALL parts are here except flappers and final machining on some of the turbine housings. I will post up some pics this weekend.
    Thanks!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567