Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Update

Ok, first thing I want to do is talk about the slight restructure of the stages. Nothing big but with some thought, inspection and input from a then friendly RB and others. I am going to change things slightly and its really not going to effect anyone.

We will now NOT offer any turbos for the N54 that do not upgrade the wastgate flapper, even our stock replacements will include the upgrade as honestly while some have very little wear and you may get a lot more miles out of them before rattle, problems, etc. It makes more sense to change them all. So what this means is.

Stock replacement price goes from $799 for the pair to $1099 for the pair with wastegate upgrade and new actuators. You will also have the options with stock replacements to go with the upgraded TD04 thrust parts. Price for the option is $300

There is now only one stage 1 upgrade that includes the wastegate upgrade which is now $1699 instead of $1799. Yes price went down. As with the rest you can opt for the upgraded TD04 thrust parts for the stage 1's. Upgraded thrust option is $300. Also we are having 5 sets of stock turbines clipped to 7 degrees and will be testing both in our test car to see if we see any gains between clipped and stock.

For stage 2 the upgraded thrust option price has been finalized and is $300. The impregnated bearings and thrust samples are still being manufactured and once we have thoroughly tested them and are proven to do what we hope, these will be added as an option as well. If not, then they will be scrapped. Honestly we are trying to move forward and push the envelope of the stock housing hybrids and are not scared to break some parts to do so.

Having the bracket that holds the rear intake tube on mass produced out of aluminum and will include one with every set of stock, stage 1, and stage 2 turbos at no cost.

Stage 3, long block along with all parts is at fabricators and is being started on this week, had billet oil feeds made, and changed the size of the compressor housing from the big T04B to a smaller option which is better suited for this engine bay and flow needs.

The flappers came in and I finally got back to the shop and was able to inspect them this am. While beautifully made, the specs were wrong. My vendor accidentally made them to the exact specs of the factory sample I sent them, not my specs. I am beefing them up, SO new samples need to be made for me to inspect. I was told a week to make the changes and put a sample in the mail. Disappointing but not devastating as we are waiting on other parts anyways. I also went with an investment cast stainless instead of billet, it costs more to start but it is easier to produce more later on once you get the molds made, and I am sure I will be needing more of these.

I have included pictures of the upgraded thrust parts so you can see the differences in the thrust bearing itself and also in the size of the flinger, and thrust collar over the STD stuff. Also some pictures of all the housings getting ready to go out for machining as well as my billet oil feeds for the stage 3 kits, and flanges on long block.

Timeframe still stands where it was last update. Early to mid Dec to receive stage 2 parts and Stage one wheels are supposed to ship in 2 days.

Ok guys, thanks as always for the patience and interest. Feel free to send me any questions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Tony

Any guestimates of what level of boost each stage would be comfortable with?

Or is it to early to speculate?
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ak335i Click here to enlarge
    Tony

Any guestimates of what level of boost each stage would be comfortable with?

Or is it to early to speculate?
    The boost level ceiling is usually the tune and fuel, not the turbos. But for Stage 1's I would stay below 22psi except at peak for short durations and stage 2's should have no problem running 25psi at peak. But these levels are usually limited by tuning and fuel as I stated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    The boost level ceiling is usually the tune and fuel, not the turbos. But for Stage 1's I would stay below 22psi except at peak for short durations and stage 2's should have no problem running 25psi at peak. But these levels are usually limited by tuning and fuel as I stated.
    Thanks, i fully understand its tune and fuel limited, reason i ask is just because the stock turbos dont seem to last too long at 18+ psi.

So assuming fuel/tuning was not an issue to run around 20-21 psi the stage ones should be ok for a while? And stage two 22-24psi should be reasonable for at least decent longevity?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Wrong way of looking at it. X psi at redline is VERY different in terms of toll it takes on the turbos compared to X psi at 4k rpm..keep that in mind...smaller turbos works significantly less hard to hit higher boost levels in the lower RPMs so picture your boost curve hitting high down low and tapering it as RPMs go up
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge I dont expect or didnt mean to imply i want 20/21 psi or 22-24 psi at redline lol

im talking peak down low numbers assuming a similar boost curve to the stockers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

count me in for stage 1 at a minimum, depending on the final price/date of the stage 2s Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

This is all very exciting. Now if my stock turbos would just crap out, I'll have an excuse, uh I mean REASON, to upgrade Click here to enlarge
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Wrong way of looking at it. X psi at redline is VERY different in terms of toll it takes on the turbos compared to X psi at 4k rpm..keep that in mind...smaller turbos works significantly less hard to hit higher boost levels in the lower RPMs so picture your boost curve hitting high down low and tapering it as RPMs go up
    +1, I was also talking peak numbers. Most common causes for turbo failure are over speed (which is what we are talking about), dirty oil / oil starvation, and surging. Assuming nothing gets sucked in the intake tract.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Until we have a compressor map we won't really be able to say tbh. Any estimate on how much more the housings can flow though? That would be a good rough estimate of how much more air you could jam e.g. how much more power assuming we aren't octane limited (which with E85 or meth you really shouldn't be).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    Until we have a compressor map we won't really be able to say tbh. Any estimate on how much more the housings can flow though? That would be a good rough estimate of how much more air you could jam e.g. how much more power assuming we aren't octane limited (which with E85 or meth you really shouldn't be).
    14T and 15T compressor maps are available online. I am going to leave the speculating to you guys until we get some turbos on a car and do some testing. Not getting caught up in it, learned my lesson before.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    14T and 15T compressor maps are available online. I am going to leave the speculating to you guys until we get some turbos on a car and do some testing. Not getting caught up in it, learned my lesson before.
    Fair enough. :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    +1 what is why this guy is going to tune the STAGE II's!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Ok im a bit confused the stage 1 turbos are just stock with better bearings the stage 2s are td04 wheels and the stage 3s are no longer a gt series turbo but instead a td?
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    Ok im a bit confused the stage 1 turbos are just stock with better bearings the stage 2s are td04 wheels and the stage 3s are no longer a gt series turbo but instead a td?
    bump and do we send our stock ones in to be turned into "stage 2" or are the stage 2s a complete replacement. I see the 300$ for the thrust upgrade for stage 2, is there a price range(total) for the stage 2? I might just be missing it all lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WDBi Click here to enlarge
    Not sure where you got any of this. Stock replacements are just that stock replacements with upgraded wastegates and the option for TD04 upgraded thrust parts, stage 1's it states very clearly have upgraded compressor wheels to MHI 14T and optional TD04 thrust parts, Stage 2's have always been 15T and the price was established a while ago at $2499 if you get the thust option add $300 to it. Not sure why you would think stage 3's are no longer garrett GTX's, they are.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

What are our stock wheels? Also i think i.read thrust upgrade as wheels when the thrust upgrade is just bearings? Also the reason i was thrown off on stage 3 is because you said you switched from a td04 housing to something smaller.
    Not sure where you got any of this. Stock replacements are just that stock replacements with upgraded wastegates and the option for TD04 upgraded thrust parts, stage 1's it states very clearly have upgraded compressor wheels to MHI 14T and optional TD04 thrust parts, Stage 2's have always been 15T and the price was established a while ago at $2499 if you get the thust option add $300 to it. Not sure why you would think stage 3's are no longer garrett GTX's, they are.
    Turbo lag is the on ramp to the highway which is power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Stage 2's have always been 15T and the price was established a while ago at $2499 if you get the thust option add $300 to it.
    Thank you, thats what i was looking for Click here to enlarge and im retarded so answer my stupid question and pull me off the fence, Stage 2 I DO NOT NEED TO SEND ANYTHING IN? they are a direct replacement in entirety correct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Thank you, thats what i was looking for Click here to enlarge and im retarded so answer my stupid question and pull me off the fence, Stage 2 I DO NOT NEED TO SEND ANYTHING IN? they are a direct replacement in entirety correct?
    Completely bolt on with all factory lines and connections, there is a $400 core charge if you do not return cores. But we have enough cores to built you a set and send them out before you send yours in, once you do core charge is refunded. Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Good stuff Tony, very good stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Good stuff Tony, very good stuff.
    Seriously, this guy is the $#@!. I don't even have an n54 and I can't wait till he releases some turbos out! Great update.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

has aything been done on the stg 3 front?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    has aything been done on the stg 3 front?
    Guess you didn't read the section of the post that starts with "Stage 3" nor the pictures of the billet oil feeds

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

I take it you two lads don't fancy each other¿

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I take it you two lads don't fancy each other¿
    LostMarine is just prodding... without reading in this case.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast