Yes Reputation No
    driveshaft broke lol

not to worry though, something much better is coming to replace it
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    driveshaft broke lol

I think I posted about this very same situation somewhere recently Click here to enlarge
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry to clarify, the protruding tip of the pinion gear broke, not driveshaft..but the driveshaft as a result also was damaged as the inner splines got stripped when it spun...crazy Click here to enlarge

Beef up time!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@ProTUNING Freaks Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to clarify, the protruding tip of the pinion gear broke, not driveshaft..but the driveshaft as a result also was damaged as the inner splines got stripped when it spun...crazy Click here to enlarge

Beef up time!
    I take it there's a solid chance of this happening to anyone with this level of power/torque? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    I take it there's a solid chance of this happening to anyone with this level of power/torque? Click here to enlarge
    I think it happened to @BuraQ as well with the OEM 2.56 diff. Something similar if not the same also happened to @onebadmofo. They both had considerably less torque. All it takes is some bad wheel hop.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Do a barrel roll!
    LOL

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just to address some comments from the other forum:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SIKH335 Click here to enlarge
    I was actually looking into doing the ported head on my car and Vac quoted a 30-35 hour book time to swap their ported head into my car. Not really a personal issue, as it pertains to everyone thinking of this mod. If PTF has some info they could share with us all on the time it should take a shop to pull the factory head and install the VAC stage 3 head which lists on their site for $2599 that would be nice.
    First off, not sure if you're reading this but in any case a very welcome change of tone, appreciated. Hopefully we can talk like normal adults going forward.

For the cylinder head I wouldn't suggest doing it on its own. It is best to do it when the turbos are being swapped as they consume the biggest chunk of work. To swap the head in and out, once the turbos are off, is only maybe 3-4 hours tops for someone who knows what they're doing. The shop will need an N54 cam timing/locking tool set (available on ebay for about 350-400) and a tool to remove the crankshaft hub so that the timing chain can be pulled. That's it in terms of special tools with respect to the shop.

30 hours is definitely way too much even if you do it all in one shot. Most shops with experience do turbos in about 7 hours on average (have heard of even shy of 6 hours in some cases). Those inexperienced take about 10-12 on the first try. So absolute worst case if you're doing it from scratch with the turbos still on the car it'd take anywhere from 10 hours (experienced shop) to 16 hours (inexperienced but good shop) in labour, so basically half to a third of what BMW's books quote.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Yeah but his is mostly stock. He only has custom valves and guides. A true port/polish with head studs, valve springs, etc is the way to go. If vac offers this for $2500+labor that's a pretty good deal.
    Not sure what you mean by this statement. To fit custom exhaust valves you have to cut new seats and a 5 angle valve job was done as well. The head has been ported on a flow bench putting in about 60-80 hours of work into it. VAC head did not include custom valves which just on their own (valves and retainers only) are $1500. They're made of top shelf material, even better than Inconel. VAC, or anyone, will not offer this for anything close to 2.5k don't kid yourself Click here to enlarge Once someone else has a head and shows some results as well I suggest we discuss those options then. Keep in mind I wanted the PAW head as well as the VAC head and no one could provide me with results. VAC's head wasn't finished and was delayed due to other priorities they had at the time (S65 stuff). Thus I went my own local/custom route and got 'er done!

I really hope someone else also pushes their RBs with a 3.5bar on a safe tune and sees what they can do on the stock head with it.
    Last edited by dzenno@PTF; 11-15-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought you had said a while back the only thing done to the head was new exhaust valves and seats. I did not recall a port job. I think valve springs and head studs are more of a preventative maintenance deal. As the boost gets higher either the valve springs or the head studs or both are going to give. These are going to be necessary upgrades on any high HP car going forward just like clutches, driveshafts and axels Click here to enlarge
    2011 335is DCT, moving to Italy, looking for new car friends Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I thought you had said a while back the only thing done to the head was new exhaust valves and seats. I did not recall a port job. I think valve springs and head studs are more of a preventative maintenance deal. As the boost gets higher either the valve springs or the head studs or both are going to give. These are going to be necessary upgrades on any high HP car going forward just like clutches, driveshafts and axels Click here to enlarge
    Valve springs don't need to be changed on this head at least not yet. No one is revving to 9000rpm any time soon and if we were then the intake valves would also be changed. Everything about this head was assessed and done by a shop building top fuel race motors putting out 2500HP. They've been in that the last 30 years! They did tell me to get new head studs from ARP but I didn't know how much time I had and ARP takes a few weeks to make custom ones. Had I known it was going to be close to an 8 months wait and not 4 weeks like I was told initially then custom ARP head studs/bolts would've been done. However, the head isn't lifting at 631WTQ so I'm not worried. The car has already seen close to 100 runs without a single issue except a broken pinion Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Valve springs don't need to be changed on this head at least not yet. No one is revving to 9000rpm any time soon and if we were then the intake valves would also be changed. Everything about this head was assessed and done by a shop building top fuel race motors putting out 2500HP. They've been in that the last 30 years! They did tell me to get new head studs from ARP but I didn't know how much time I had and ARP takes a few weeks to make custom ones. Had I known it was going to be close to an 8 months wait and not 4 weeks like I was told initially then custom ARP head studs/bolts would've been done. However, the head isn't lifting at 631WTQ so I'm not worried. The car has already seen close to 100 runs without a single issue except a broken pinion Click here to enlarge
    So what was their assessment of the head?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    In what sense?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its really the boost psi you have to worry about as far as the head lifting. Are you planning to turn it up some more when you test e85 or race gas? I'm glad you're pioneering this showing us the limits Click here to enlarge
    the community thanks you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In what sense?
    Generally on its quality.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Generally on its quality.
    They said it flows poorly compared to everything they've ever done before including everything in the American Muscle arsenal and a bunch of Porsche, VW, Subaru heads...this was their first DI head ever which was part of the reason they were interested in seeing the results
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They said it flows poorly compared to everything they've ever done before
    Surprise surprise.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    valve springs are can be pretty beneficial in high boost applications. Boost pressure can actually hold the valve open a little bit. This would be a must with an aggressive cam set up too. With the head already off I would do them anyway so you never have to worry about it. Just a tid bit for anybody else thinking of building there head.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    valve springs are can be pretty beneficial in high boost applications. Boost pressure can actually hold the valve open a little bit. This would be a must with an aggressive cam set up too. With the head already off I would do them anyway so you never have to worry about it. Just a tid bit for anybody else thinking of building there head.
    That'll take another 8 months to develop properly at least Click here to enlarge But I agree with you.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Was it good?
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That'll take another 8 months to develop properly at least Click here to enlarge But I agree with you.
    +1. That's what I was getting at with the valve springs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn, sucks to see this happen already Click here to enlarge Can you even order the pinion gear separately? How's long will it take to arrive? You might want to upgrade the diff bushings now that it's down (not sure if you encounter wheelhop, but it can't hurt)
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    Damn, sucks to see this happen already Click here to enlarge Can you even order the pinion gear separately? How's long will it take to arrive? You might want to upgrade the diff bushings now that it's down (not sure if you encounter wheelhop, but it can't hurt)
    It was wheel hop that snapped the pinion in half. Pinion can't be bought on its own. Its paired with a ring gear so a full donor unit needs to be bought to take its pinion and ring gear. Its ok, they can be had fairly cheap eventually if I decided to try the 2.56 again. In the meantime it'll be a 3.08, kind of wanted to try it again anyways.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think it happened to @BuraQ as well with the OEM 2.56 diff. Something similar if not the same also happened to @onebadmofo . They both had considerably less torque. All it takes is some bad wheel hop.
    So, wheel hop is pretty much the drive shaft loading and unloading rapidly as you gain and lose traction due at least in part due to too much flex/give in certain components?

So pretty much a several hundred newton meter impact driver?

I see how it would break lol - so id you manage to never wheel hop, you SHOULD be ok?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    driveshaft broke lol

Carbon fiber?? Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes
    Awesome! But I guess the 6AT driveshaft is different?
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast